G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Front driver side noise.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 03:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Front driver side noise.

2003 g35 coupe. 2 days ago I noticed a loud grinding/squeaking noise coming from my front driver side wheel area. I don't know what it could be. The noise comes and goes. Only when driving. when I come to a complete stop the noise goes away. but as soon as i start driving within a minute you can hear loud grinding. like I said it comes and goes while driving. not sure if its my caliper sticking? wheel bearing? ahhh.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:36 AM
its like a grinding/scraping noise

Old 06-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Jack it up, remove the wheel and inspect. This should be easy to troubleshoot, like you said it could be your brake pads are worn and the wear indicator is touching the disk creating the noise, or it could be your wheel bearing. Spin the wheel hub and feel for roughness, it should turn and feel smooth. Once you find the problem check the other side, it will most likely need preventative maintenance care as well. Don't wait too long though the sooner the better, good luck.

The following users liked this post:
itztwinki3 (06-22-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Had you done a Search using "Front end Noises" you would have discovered the only way to find a suspension noise is to get your car on a rack and find out what is loose or worn. Plus you need to know what to look for, which helps...Gary

Old 06-22-2014, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by wuzz-upp
Jack it up, remove the wheel and inspect. This should be easy to troubleshoot, like you said it could be your brake pads are worn and the wear indicator is touching the disk creating the noise, or it could be your wheel bearing. Spin the wheel hub and feel for roughness, it should turn and feel smooth. Once you find the problem check the other side, it will most likely need preventative maintenance care as well. Don't wait too long though the sooner the better, good luck.
Replaced my front rotors and pads. (the ones that were on prior to being replaced, were rusted and dried. all the bolts were dried no lub at all.) brake pads were pretty much done. installed slotted and drill power stop rotors and c-max pads. front and rears. sound went away. lub everything up no more noise. wheel bearing smooth. but front passenger side wasn't as smooth and was kind of rough and hard to spin. all others were smooth and spun with no effort.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by itztwinki3
Replaced my front rotors and pads. (the ones that were on prior to being replaced, were rusted and dried. all the bolts were dried no lub at all.) brake pads were pretty much done. installed slotted and drill power stop rotors and c-max pads. front and rears. sound went away. lub everything up no more noise. wheel bearing smooth. but front passenger side wasn't as smooth and was kind of rough and hard to spin. all others were smooth and spun with no effort.
Great job brother! The wheel hubs are an inexpensive item, and lucky for you the front ones are pretty easy to replace. The ones in the rear are harder to replace because of the half C/V drive spline that fits through them. I just replaced my rear bearings and checked my front last weekend, the PO had replaced the front ones they looked new, see my thread. https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ive-noise.html . I buy most of my parts from www.rockauto.com, they have great prices and choices. I would recommend that you put it on the calendar and at least replace the one that felt rough. Personally I would replace both and be done with it, but you don't have to. Just remember to check them any time you jack up the car.

Last edited by wuzz-upp; 06-23-2014 at 09:04 AM.
itztwinki3 (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 AM
Great job brother! The wheel hubs are an inexpensive item, and lucky for you the front ones are pretty easy to replace. The ones in the rear are harder to replace because of the half C/V drive spline that fits through them. I just replaced my rear bearings and checked my front last weekend, the PO had replaced the front ones they looked new, see my thread. https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ive-noise.html . I buy most of my parts from www.rockauto.com, they have great prices and choices. I would recommend that you put it on the calendar and at least replace the one that felt rough. Personally I would replace both and be done with it, but you don't have to. Just remember to check them any time you jack up the car.
definitely looking into doing all 4 by next week by the way im not a brother xD and im a female so SISTER is more like it. thanks. if its something I can't do my cousin and uncle are the ones that help other wise most diy i can manage doing.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
definitely looking into doing all 4 by next week by the way im not a brother xD and im a female so SISTER is more like it. thanks. if its something I can't do my cousin and uncle are the ones that help other wise most diy i can manage doing.
Hey GDirtyfive we found you an internet girl!

It's good that you DIY, it pays for itself in knowledge. Now you know how all of these parts work.

itztwinki3 (06-26-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 05:35 PM
I Knew I would some day make that mistake, believe it or not the thought crossed my mind when I posted. Please accept my apologies Sister, I am proud of you and all females that share the love and passion for maintenance. You all have my respect and support.

itztwinki3 (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 AM
I Knew I would some day make that mistake, believe it or not the thought crossed my mind when I posted. Please accept my apologies Sister, I am proud of you and all females that share the love and passion for maintenance. You all have my respect and support.

i grew up with 5 brothers. always working on cars. my father use to have me help him out as well. always told me it is always better to do things yourself and do it the right way. then going to a stealership. everyone in my family has owned quite a few cars. civic/accord/supra/g37xs/540i m sport/gti/etc etc i worked on many different makes and models. but mainly japanese cars. i also always loved the g35 from day 1 it came around. took me a bit to actually go out and buy one but i bought mines few months back. great deal under book value clean title clean carfax nothing was wrong with the car at all other then few bulbs needed to be replaced and now the brakes. next stop rear axles. but absolutely love the car. never going back to a fwd car again its either rwd or awd in my opinion.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Hey GDirtyfive we found you an internet girl!

It's good that you DIY, it pays for itself in knowledge. Now you know how all of these parts work.
Haha..dafaq?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard is this to do? I am no pro mechanic.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Fletch
How hard is this to do? I am no pro mechanic.
You don't have to be a pro, but you do have to have some mechanical skills, tools and the service manual for reference. What exactly is the problem with your car?

Safety is #1, jack stands and wheel chocks are a must anytime you get under a car to do work. This is something I learned in the mid 70's when I started wrenching on cars and I am still around.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't have to be a pro, but you do have to have some mechanical skills, tools and the service manual for reference. What exactly is the problem with your car?

Safety is #1, jack stands and wheel chocks are a must anytime you get under a car to do work. This is something I learned in the mid 70's when I started wrenching on cars and I am still around.
2004 G35 sedan. 165k miles. Getting serious wop, wop, wop from front end. Tires and brakes seem fine. gets louder when I slightly turn steering wheel. Original bearings. Hell, original everything except for Maxima valve covers and spark plugs. The speed shop that did the valve covers said it sounded like the bearings were going when they test drove the car to make sure the valve covers weren't leaking.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Fletch
2004 G35 sedan. 165k miles. Getting serious wop, wop, wop from front end. Tires and brakes seem fine. gets louder when I slightly turn steering wheel. Original bearings. Hell, original everything except for Maxima valve covers and spark plugs. The speed shop that did the valve covers said it sounded like the bearings were going when they test drove the car to make sure the valve covers weren't leaking.
I don't think I would spend to much time inspecting the bearings, with that mileage I would simply replace them both at the same time. This job can be done with standard tools, I own Snap-On, Sears Craftsman tools, but I don't have a bit of a problem using tools from Harbor Freight which are very cheap.

If you want to inspect to make sure the !WOP WOP! is coming from the front, Jack the front up and check for play at the front wheels. Grab the wheel at top and bottom and with opposite push pull motion try to move the wheel in both directions. There should be no vertical side play. Spin the wheel and listen for bearing noise or roughness, the wheels should spin smooth. I personally like to check for bearing noise with the wheel, brake pads and disk removed. This eliminates mistaking a brake noise for bearing noise. The Wop Wop could also be warped disks so a good inspection is in store for you. Warped disks can be detected as you spin the wheel, the warping will cause the wheel to stop turning as the disk rotates through the caliper, some rubbing is normal, but excessive force to get the wheel to spin is not.

With that said, this will be a good time to inspect your brakes for wear and to perform brake maintenance while you are at it if needed. I buy most of my parts at www.rockauto,com, and have had very good results and the prices are very good. I hope this information is useful, good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by wuzz-upp:
Fletch (07-01-2014), itztwinki3 (07-01-2014)