G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Shocks/Struts. Need some advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 Shocks/Struts. Need some advice!

Hey Community,

I was looking to purchase some shocks and struts for my 2006 G35 Coupe. I'm currently at 80k miles and my G has been riding rough recently so I was looking into buying some for my G.

I was wondering what shocks/struts to go with. I looked on the forums and a lot of people had been recommending Tokico. I was also reading that these got discontinued and I'm not sure if they started manufacturing them again. I found some here : http://thmotorsports.com/i-526613.as...FQVafgodkZ0A-Q

Do you think these are the real ones? Also, if you have any other recommendations than Tokico that are a good value for its money let me know I would like to hear it.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Tokico's manufacture the OEM ones so that would be the closest in terms of OEM. KYB is also good but I'd choose the Tokico's first as they're very good quality.

Also how did you come to the conclusion it was your shocks causing the rough ride? It could be worn tires, bushings, etc.

I also found those shocks here: https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=4765

Old 11-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever you do, don't waste your time or your money. I ordered all four from THMotorsports and waited and waited and waited...

After some BS from a factory rep. about changing suppliers, five months of waiting, slow refund process and a complaint to the Illinois BBB, I finally got my refund; minus a damn $20+ processing fee from the f--kers at THM.

That being said, I think wherever you find the shocks, you're going to run into back order issues.

Just my two cents.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
With your mileage and the cost of high $$ shock/struts like Tokico D Specs I suggest KYBs, they'll make your G feel like it was new. Check our Marketplace under vendor suspension...they're on sale!
Gary

Old 11-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
^^^^^^^KYB with Eibach pro kit for a slight drop - my garage has before and after pics of that set up.

Next step would be coilovers + how far you wanna go.........

Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Koni adjustables

Old 11-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Alright Cyoc looks like I'm going to buy off the vendors on here.

Thanks Gary & Rsinger it looks like I will probably be going with the KYB. Seems like a good price for the performance.

It seems like it is my shocks because it's the only part, I or the previous owner, have not replaced. My back tires are basically new and my front are okay except for the little camber wear. My bushings, I think, have been replaced. Atleast, I know the front have for sure. On my service history it says at 64,0000 miles "client requests to replace both front susp compression rod bushing, comp rod bushings torn, replaced bushings". What confuses me at the end of the same visit it says on another line ***TECH REMARKS** L3: Pressed out old bushings, applied anti corrosion to studs, pressed in new bushings and re-installed.

I'm pretty sure this just means they did the front not all the bushings. Says nothing about rear bushings.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
We have 4 shocks.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by TheBay
Alright Cyoc looks like I'm going to buy off the vendors on here.

Thanks Gary & Rsinger it looks like I will probably be going with the KYB. Seems like a good price for the performance.

It seems like it is my shocks because it's the only part, I or the previous owner, have not replaced. My back tires are basically new and my front are okay except for the little camber wear. My bushings, I think, have been replaced. Atleast, I know the front have for sure. On my service history it says at 64,0000 miles "client requests to replace both front susp compression rod bushing, comp rod bushings torn, replaced bushings". What confuses me at the end of the same visit it says on another line ***TECH REMARKS** L3: Pressed out old bushings, applied anti corrosion to studs, pressed in new bushings and re-installed.

I'm pretty sure this just means they did the front not all the bushings. Says nothing about rear bushings.
Yes, they only did the front bushings. Those are the garbage ones. Rear bushings aren't a problem at 64k. Its fine. To check your shocks tho, look at the shocks where they compress. Do you see any oily residue? If so, they're leaking and should be replaced. If not, they're probably fine.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:13 PM
If it looks like this, its probably bad.

Name:  shockleaking1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  22.2 KB

Old 11-06-2014, 06:33 PM
When replacing the shocks/struts is there anything else that I should also replace while I'm at it. I know I read that the front and rear need new mounts and new boots. Anything else?

Thanks for the info Gdirty. I'm going to have to take off the tire to check out the oil residue I believe so I will have to later. I'm pretty sure they are worn out although at 80k. My front bushings have been replaced and I think its time to replace the rear bushings. These aren't hard to replace right?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by TheBay
When replacing the shocks/struts is there anything else that I should also replace while I'm at it. I know I read that the front and rear need new mounts and new boots. Anything else?

Thanks for the info Gdirty. I'm going to have to take off the tire to check out the oil residue I believe so I will have to later. I'm pretty sure they are worn out although at 80k. My front bushings have been replaced and I think its time to replace the rear bushings. These aren't hard to replace right?
They are hard to replace if you don't have the right tools. I doubt theyre worn out. Its unnecessary unless you're upgrading to polyurethane.

If you're just looking for thing to replace I can give you a laundry list of things to make it ride like new if that's what you want. Otherwise, for the shocks, just the mounts and boots are fine.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
^^Upgrading to poly bushings changed my life.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
I have the Tokico HP ("Blue") shocks and they have a very good feel. Make sure you talk to Charles at B2AutoDesigns (a vendor here), he is very knowledgable and offers great pricing and service. I believe a set of 4 brand new is $350 shipped (but don't take my word for it)

Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
I have the Tokico HP ("Blue") shocks and they have a very good feel. Make sure you talk to Charles at B2AutoDesigns (a vendor here), he is very knowledgable and offers great pricing and service. I believe a set of 4 brand new is $350 shipped (but don't take my word for it)
Thanks for the kind words. I do have the Tokico HP's in stock for the G35 application. If you would like some pricing send me a message.

Thanks
Charles

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Shocks/Struts. Need some advice!