G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

PLEASE HELP ME! Random Shaking (very random) from rear of car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
PLEASE HELP ME! Random Shaking (very random) from rear of car

Hey guys i have an issue that is driving me nuts.

Just started happening sparingly about a month ago.

When i am driving at highway speeds (60-70) in the morning (95% of the time ) all of a sudden the car will start vibrating very loudly and will vibrate bad enough that i cant tell what kind of vehicle is behind me in the rear view mirror. The sound is a very loud "rubbing" sound that sounds like i am driving on mud boggers, and like i said along with that comes the heavy vibrating

Now for a little background i thought it was my tires as they were pretty bald. No big deal i needed to replace them anyway, so i just had new tires put on this past weekend. Figured that i got rid of the problem as i didnt hear so much as a peep all weekend. But then this morning driving to work (25 degrees out) it started doing in about 2-3 miles down the highway on my commute to work. And then it stops when i get on the ramp to get off the interstate.

Are there any components that would cause this to happen especially in cold weather and at highway speeds. I havent got the slightest clue what to do. I took my old man for a ride after work and couldnt get the sound and vibration no matter what i did.

Please help and give me some suggestions as to what it could be!

Driveshaft? differential? wheel bearings? blown suspension? bad alignment?

Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Is it snowy where you are right now? Sometimes ice gets stuck inside the rims and will throw a wheel temporarily out of balance. This happens on my truck all the time in snowy weather.

If the temperature just recently dropped a ton, it's also possible that your tire pressure is way down as a result of the impacts of cold temperatures on the physics of air. Temporary faltspotting of the tires is also a possibility that increases with cold weather. I find some cheaper tire brands are more prone to flatspotting than others and the cold weather will make the tire somewhat retain a flatness in a specific area of the tire where it was parked on overnight and the cold weather makes the tire less pliable and more prone to holding a shape than warm weather.

Try to see if you can notice any correlation between warmer weather days and the noise not happening.

You could also have a warped rotor, but chances are you would feel a heavy vibration when applying the brakes and it would probably do it all the time and not just at specific speeds and certain circumstances.

The following users liked this post:
LongJohn6284 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by andrewvk:
SIKKI (03-25-2015), Urbanengineer (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I had an intermittent vibration that drove me crazy, turned out the rear diff bushing was blown. Should be pretty obvious if you look under your car, if the bushing is blown, then there will be some kind of goo dripping down the differential.

The following users liked this post:
LongJohn6284 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
thanks for the replies guys..

got the car out today and drove her around and today no vibration to speak of

i cant understand why it would only happen some times. if something was blown or out of spec wouldnt it do it all the time?

but im gonna put the car up on jacks this weekend and take a look and see if i see anything leaking from the diff.

i just dont want it to be something that will wind up shredding my brand new tires.

now since it was a little warmer today and nothing vibrated, i dont want to rule out that it could have been cold weather related, but it just drives me nuts.

ive got a little road trip coming up in june and i wish the problem would either work itself out completely or just something would blow up so i could see what it was and get it fixed

Old 03-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 to checking your differential bushings.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
maybe the weights fell off when they balanced the wheels?

Old 11-11-2021, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 G35x - no navigation
Question

Originally Posted by LongJohn6284
Hey guys i have an issue that is driving me nuts.

Just started happening sparingly about a month ago.

When i am driving at highway speeds (60-70) in the morning (95% of the time ) all of a sudden the car will start vibrating very loudly and will vibrate bad enough that i cant tell what kind of vehicle is behind me in the rear view mirror. The sound is a very loud "rubbing" sound that sounds like i am driving on mud boggers, and like i said along with that comes the heavy vibrating

Now for a little background i thought it was my tires as they were pretty bald. No big deal i needed to replace them anyway, so i just had new tires put on this past weekend. Figured that i got rid of the problem as i didnt hear so much as a peep all weekend. But then this morning driving to work (25 degrees out) it started doing in about 2-3 miles down the highway on my commute to work. And then it stops when i get on the ramp to get off the interstate.

Are there any components that would cause this to happen especially in cold weather and at highway speeds. I havent got the slightest clue what to do. I took my old man for a ride after work and couldnt get the sound and vibration no matter what i did.

Please help and give me some suggestions as to what it could be!

Driveshaft? differential? wheel bearings? blown suspension? bad alignment?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is an old post but I am having this exact issue on my 2004 G35x, excellent condition with only 70K miles.

I am planning to have the rear differential bushing checked at a local shop to see if it is blown out. In addition to what is described here, when I stop and park after a longer drive, there is a burning smell coming from the rear. I'm wondering if a rear differential bushing could leak and cause this. I'm also reading that this issue could be due to compression rod bushings or driveshaft joints. The burning smell has me confused.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Old 11-13-2021, 11:44 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Get the car up on a lift and look for damage. I'm guessing it should be pretty obvious based on the severe vibration and burning smell.

Heck you could probably just put your head under the car and spot the damage if it's got symptoms like that.