G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Aftermarket lens HID projector replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket lens HID projector replacement

Hi folks,

I've been reading on this site for years now and most of the time I find what I'm looking for except for this time. I've been doing a lot of reading on projectors and retrofits and there is a ton of info on this matter.

I've recently, against many recommendations, purchased Eagle Eyes dual halo projectors in black trim for my Canadian 04 G35 6MT coupe. As a lot of you have pointed out, the light output is sub par, but I think the lights themselves look nice and fit well since I have a black roof, black rims and black tails/sides. Attached is a bad picture of my car, dirty.

That being said, does anyone know what projector would fit properly into the housing if I wanted to do a projector replacement for the low beams (type and size)? Could I simply replace the lenses and shim them properly to get the proper focal point with the bowl that is already used? Any other options? Now before anyone mentions it, I know I could take it apart and measure the lens, etc. but I want to minimize downtime and was hoping someone may have some info from experience.

Thanks for your input!

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket lens HID projector replacement-img_1022.jpg  

Last edited by rics07; 06-19-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when you say "bowl" are you referring to the projector shrouds? you have to remember some of the projectors are long and you won't be able to put the dust covers on the back again. Morimoto Bi-Xenon Mini Stage III H1 are pretty nice, but in most cases you'll have to fab up your own mounting brackets. and aim the headlights mounted on car (not fully assembled, you don't want to have to take it all apart again)

I don't think you would be able to just simply replace the lens

Old 06-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by HypedAndy
when you say "bowl" are you referring to the projector shrouds? you have to remember some of the projectors are long and you won't be able to put the dust covers on the back again. Morimoto Bi-Xenon Mini Stage III H1 are pretty nice, but in most cases you'll have to fab up your own mounting brackets. and aim the headlights mounted on car (not fully assembled, you don't want to have to take it all apart again) I don't think you would be able to just simply replace the lens
It is not as simple as just changing the lens.

He would have to go with the FX35 projectors for an actual upgrade in visibility, unfortunately losing the dust caps. I mean the replicas of them, but you get the idea. Or... You could buy projectors from the OEM 06-07 car.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

By bowl, I meant the projector housing actually. I was referring to changing the lens while keeping the existing housing in place, if it is possible.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:07 PM
sweet car, looks almost exactly like mine but i really like that grille, whats the brand name?

Old 07-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I have an 05 and my car never came with projectors and the reflector hid headlights were not cutting it on the really dark roads. My solution was to go with a retrofit. It took me some time and some reading and help from a shop to get it done. I went with mini H1 bi-xenon projector on top and bottom. the light output is huge. i also ended up rewiring things and using kptechnologies fog light module in addition to a retrofit. reason for this was to use my top projector as a low/high beam and bottom as a fog/high beam. yes when both lights are on, i can have them both become high beams.

i dont know if you will be able to replace the lens in your lights as it may be size specific. it also depends on the bowl size and how the lens is fixed into it. without taking the light apart to check it out you wont know for sure. I would do what the others have done either get a set of 03-05 headlights and do your own fabrication or you can get 06+ lights and just swap the lens on it and that will make a huge difference as well.

The following users liked this post:
rics07 (08-30-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by myGspot
I was in the same boat as you. I have an 05 and my car never came with projectors and the reflector hid headlights were not cutting it on the really dark roads. My solution was to go with a retrofit. It took me some time and some reading and help from a shop to get it done. I went with mini H1 bi-xenon projector on top and bottom. the light output is huge. i also ended up rewiring things and using kptechnologies fog light module in addition to a retrofit. reason for this was to use my top projector as a low/high beam and bottom as a fog/high beam. yes when both lights are on, i can have them both become high beams.

i dont know if you will be able to replace the lens in your lights as it may be size specific. it also depends on the bowl size and how the lens is fixed into it. without taking the light apart to check it out you wont know for sure. I would do what the others have done either get a set of 03-05 headlights and do your own fabrication or you can get 06+ lights and just swap the lens on it and that will make a huge difference as well.
Moar details please! Pix?

Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Details... too many details.
Here is a short list of what i had to do. Took my 05 headlights, opened them up and took out the guts. Modified the reflector to hold the mini h1 projector on top and bottom. This was a huge pain in the ***. Aside from a lot of wiring and re-wiring since we also did a custom light bar to mod it instead of parking light strip it now glows white when parking lights are on and when turn signal is engaged, it blinks amber. I cut out the orange marker and replaced it with a BMW clear lens. The marker is not used only as a turning signal. The oem surround had to be cut up and fit around the projector shrouds. The whole thing had to be then aimed on the car and re aimed so many times that i lost count to finally get it right.
Long story short. It took nearly 2 weeks working about 9-10 hrs a day on it, not including about 4 full days to wire up kp technology module and then figure out wiring, since the instructions they give do not work at all.
I might have pics somewhere of work in progress but not many. i'll try and post some final shots. Car hasnt been running for 8 months waiting to fix a crap load of stuff but i'll get some pics tonight.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Just throw them in the garbage and buy a set of 06 oem projectors.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:15 AM
here is a quick shot. car is dirty so looks bad but you get the idea

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket lens HID projector replacement-cimg2396.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by myGspot
here is a quick shot. car is dirty so looks bad but you get the idea
Where exactly did you get the clear marker thats for the turn signal. Thanks in advance

Old 08-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts
I did a lens replacement on my 06 projectors....

So my 06 projectors were really cloudy and beyond repair as the damage was inside especially with the stress cracks. So, anyone looking for replacement lenses and can find these cheap like i did. Do it, then just clear coat them.

Before
Name:  20150816_112200_zpszlrmijxj.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  251.3 KB

So, I bought a set of these ebay lights for 200 bucks new.
Name:  _12_zpsal1fmpow.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  31.7 KB

Then took them apart
Name:  20150709_214327_zpsvsx3pcp5.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  305.0 KB

Removed the bezel
Name:  20150816_111155_zpsiactpid1.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  273.2 KB

Installed the 06 bezel and done
Name:  20150816_111203_zpsangrybcp.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  242.2 KB

Name:  20150816_202635_zpsaqktkrfx.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  224.0 KB

Old 08-31-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by drew131
Where exactly did you get the clear marker thats for the turn signal. Thanks in advance
sorry for the late response. been working all weekend.
The clear lens came of a BMW headlights. when my lights were all apart and i was working on them, i dremeled out my 05 headlight orange blinker and then custom fitted the bmw clear turning lens into it. the lenses have a refraction edges built into it so when its on, it throws more light to the side of the car.

The project was definitely time consuming and a HUGE learning curve/experience. I still would have loved to do it slightly differently but doubt i would go through the whole process again unless i really had to.

The following users liked this post:
drew131 (08-31-2015)