G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Urgent Help need valvetrain chatter and tapping...Maybe TDI??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Urgent Help need valvetrain chatter and tapping...Maybe TDI??

Hello Members,

I posted a thread in the Texas section wanting a member to check out a vehicle for me. Well i am in Houston now looking at the vehicle and i am afraid this car is SHOT. It sounds like a VW tdi engine like a diesel and sometimes sounds like a cement mixer not the clutch noise.

https://g35driver.com/forums/texas/3...ston-crew.html

I have uploaded video of the engine that sounds like the lifters, head, cams, shims or something is messed up. The car upon inspection when i got there was low on oil. Nothing on the dipstick and i added .5qt and it barely registered LOW. The dealer claimed it was just low on oil so i called him out on it and said i am going RIGHT NOW for an oil change. I know don't hate me but i had Walmart do the oil change since no on is open at 6:30pm on Saturday.

Guess what new 5 qts of Mobil 1 Extended performance 5w30 and still same same chatter. I am able to back out of the deal totally and feel like i know my answer is just to walk away.

The car is not in good shape at all and i pulled all service history at infiniti. The maintenance is good like 90k they did transmission flush, coolant, and differential. Brakes like 20k miles ago and a transmission flush at like 40k. The transmission is solid but engine is CRAP.

All 4 rims are curb rashed and service history from infiniti shows the previous customer wanted a price quote for 4 new wheels since the tire dealer who installed it totally scuffed all rims. The bumper in front has dents and passenger side HID bulb is out. Rear bumper has a deep scratch and the Compression rod bushings are splitting. Needs new belts and new spark plugs.

Ok the guy is giving it to me for $10,700 with 6 month/6,000 mile. I told him straight up i am doing an Oil consumption test as soon as i get it and plan to try to get a new engine. The deductible is $0 but i am sure when time comes the warranty company will run and i will be screwed.

So experts listen to the clip and please tell me what you think is the issue with the engine. I am sure due to revup and the owner driving 25k miles per year and doing oilchanged at 7,500 miles killed the engine and soon needs replacement.

I have attached the video and the service history from infiniti.

thanks

Video:

CLICK ON PICTURE FOR VIDEO

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...430_195555.mp4

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...430_195715.mp4

Last edited by faiz23; 05-01-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow...thats sounds bad. I wouldnt trust the warrenty company to change the motor for you to be honest unless its some extended warrenty from Infiniti.

My car makes a ticking noise too but not loud like that. Im uploading a video to Youtube right now, I will post it when its complete.

Edit: Okay, here is the video. Its from cell phone so excuse the bad quality.

Last edited by dineth00i30; 05-01-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
RUN NOW, run fast, run like your life depended on it from that piece of ****. There are too many Gs out there in good shape for you to even consider this car. It sounds like it has been beaten on and tore up.

No offense but I don't know why you would even consider buying a car with that much wrong with it much less pull the trigger on it. My car has 84K miles and runs/looks almost new. You even said it yourself " feel like i know my answer is just to walk away."

What did PT Barnum once say...........

Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by dineth00i30
Wow...thats sounds bad. I wouldnt trust the warrenty company to change the motor for you to be honest unless its some extended warrenty from Infiniti.

My car makes a ticking noise too but not loud like that. Im uploading a video to Youtube right now, I will post it when its complete.

Edit: Okay, here is the video. Its from cell phone so excuse the bad quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br_DdCpGuEo
Thank your for the video and your car sounds alot better. It still has a ticking but that sounds like a normal injector or timing chain or lifter. The car at the dealer sounds like a turbo diesel idling and is soon going to die. I am for sure going to walk away and find a better condition vehicle and take my time.

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
RUN NOW, run fast, run like your life depended on it from that piece of ****. There are too many Gs out there in good shape for you to even consider this car. It sounds like it has been beaten on and tore up.

No offense but I don't know why you would even consider buying a car with that much wrong with it much less pull the trigger on it. My car has 84K miles and runs/looks almost new. You even said it yourself " feel like i know my answer is just to walk away."

What did PT Barnum once say...........

Man you are correct about running away from this horrible vehicle. I am glad my emotions did not get in the way and I have done plenty of research on the g35 and done work on the VQ engine to know what one is suppose to sound like. I hope all my money and efforts wasted going to Houston will get the word out there that this vehicle is absolute JUNK. I just want to get a huge list of things wrong so i can back out 100% and get back my deposit.

BTW i love your SIG and think it pertains to the topic on hand.

You can polish a turd, but it will only glow for so long.

CAR

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...er_id=63722241

Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
double post delete

Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I'm glad you took a step back and looked at this rationally. Trust me, impulse control is a tough one sometimes. I'm 48 and still deal with it at times, especially with my car. Like I said before, there are a LOT of good deals out there on a great condition used G, you just might have to be patient if your dream car has specific parameters like a 6MT sedan.

I looked for 8 months for my car scouring vehicles as far away as 500 miles. I ended up getting it close to home from a little independent dealer here in town. It had everything I wanted, was in immaculate condition, and I got it for a great price. Patience will eventually pay off and you'll be super happy you were picky.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
The car was low on oil when you were looking at at? The dealer or place did not change the oil when they got it? If the dealer or sales place cant even do a simple oil change then run.

But yea too many issues and higher millage, find another.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
Thank your for the video and your car sounds alot better. It still has a ticking but that sounds like a normal injector or timing chain or lifter. The car at the dealer sounds like a turbo diesel idling and is soon going to die. I am for sure going to walk away and find a better condition vehicle and take my time.
hmm...that sounds expensive to fix.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
sorry i didnt read this earlier man i would have checked it out for you seeing as i live in houston but finals are kicking my butt!

leave the car and get ur money back that car is no bueno!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by G_VQ3577
sorry i didnt read this earlier man i would have checked it out for you seeing as i live in houston but finals are kicking my butt!

leave the car and get ur money back that car is no bueno!
Thanks man...I appreciate the help and wish you were able to check it out for me earlier but it all worked out nicely. I SAID HELL NO..to the POS and found a beauty at the local VW dealership. It was a trade in mint condition and even had extended warranty till 2013 from previous owner. I was able to talk them down in price and take it back to dallas.

Everything worked out nicely and just today I polished the car and detailed the interior. I hope all buyers out there realize the POS vehicle at Kassem Export and will not waste there $$$$ going out there. He was asking $10971 Firm and i talked him down to $10,600 with 3 month warranty. After I ripped that car apart and showed him his car is not even worth $7k with a SHOT engine.

He dropped the price to $10,471 and offered it to me for $9,999. Just today he dropped the price to $9,999 and I am 100% sure he will go lower in price to get rid of that POS. I kindly asked for my refund and went down the street and got a vehicle in much better condition with lower miles for more than i wanted to spend initially but in long term maintenance it will be worth it.

POS CAR BUYER BEWARE DO NOT BUY

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...l&cardist=6616

VIN: JNKCV51E76M511968

Edit: Known problem on POS vehicle

All 4 rims are curb rashed and service history from infiniti shows the previous customer wanted a price quote for 4 new wheels since the tire dealer who installed it totally scuffed all rims. Front windshield has 2 rock chips in it. The bumper in front has dents and passenger side HID bulb is out. Rear bumper has a deep scratch and the Compression rod bushings are splitting. Needs new belts, new spark plugs and rear axles are clicking. Tires are at 30%-40%.. Oh did i forget to tell you a new engine is necessary as well unless you like to be stranded on the side of the road in BFE

Last edited by faiz23; 05-07-2011 at 01:59 AM.