G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help

I have 06x with 44k.
Every day I warm up my car to at least the 2nd needle. When i put my car to drive and accelerate past 2k, my car makes a slight grind noise for a quick second and disappears. any advice?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
ABS self check. Does it when you first start to drive. Totally normal.

No need to warm your car up. You are just wasting gas. Start it up, put your seatbelt on, adjust the radio and head on out. Just take it easy until the temp gets up to operating temperature. No need to sit there and idle with a modern engine.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
ABS self check. Does it when you first start to drive. Totally normal.

No need to warm your car up. You are just wasting gas. Start it up, put your seatbelt on, adjust the radio and head on out. Just take it easy until the temp gets up to operating temperature. No need to sit there and idle with a modern engine.
Oh alright thanks! I was worried.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
ABS self check. Does it when you first start to drive. Totally normal. No need to warm your car up. You are just wasting gas. Start it up, put your seatbelt on, adjust the radio and head on out. Just take it easy until the temp gets up to operating temperature. No need to sit there and idle with a modern engine.

Fuel injection ftw. Still can't hate on waiting for a few seconds.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yes, fuel injection, electronic ignition, Engine Control modules have all made life much more livable with internal combustion engine. (never mind the fact that I could get home with a bit of wire, some gum and a fingernail file) But I digress...

You really don't need more than ten or so seconds before you drive away. HOWEVER, NEVER BEAT ON IT UNTIL THE OIL IS HOT!

BTW, how many of you remember having to drive with both feet until the carb got warm?

Old 01-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
I remember that Tex. Had one car with a manual choke too.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yeah, my 61' Mercury Meteor and my 65' MGB had manual chokes.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Yes, fuel injection, electronic ignition, Engine Control modules have all made life much more livable with internal combustion engine. (never mind the fact that I could get home with a bit of wire, some gum and a fingernail file) But I digress...

You really don't need more than ten or so seconds before you drive away. HOWEVER, NEVER BEAT ON IT UNTIL THE OIL IS HOT!

BTW, how many of you remember having to drive with both feet until the carb got warm?
I had an '85 Monte SS and an '87 Monte SS that both needed the two-foot skills, due to a sticky choke. I don't miss those days.

FWIW, in ~extreme~ cold (like 15*F or less) I usually let the car run a few seconds before moving, just so the other fluids can warm up a bit - I even try turning the steering wheel left and right to make sure nothing is frozen. My wife's '03 Liberty hates the cold, and the p/s pump whines like a toddler that didn't get to take a nap LOL.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
I had an '85 Monte SS and an '87 Monte SS that both needed the two-foot skills, due to a sticky choke. I don't miss those days. FWIW, in ~extreme~ cold (like 15*F or less) I usually let the car run a few seconds before moving, just so the other fluids can warm up a bit - I even try turning the steering wheel left and right to make sure nothing is frozen. My wife's '03 Liberty hates the cold, and the p/s pump whines like a toddler that didn't get to take a nap LOL.
Extreme cold being 15F lol. But yeah you are smart. Cold weather isn't nice to the G and you have to be careful opening the doors.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Extreme cold being 15F lol. But yeah you are smart. Cold weather isn't nice to the G and you have to be careful opening the doors.
Lol @ 15 degrees being extreme cold. I think it was that this AM and that wasn't even the coldest day of the year. We had -5 not so long ago. G35 started right up fine.

Anyway, i wasn't implying to fire the engine up and immediately get the car sideways coming out of the driveway. I'm just saying sitting there for 10 mins warming the car up is unnecessary. Just fire the engine up, put your seatbelt on, adjust the radio, seat heater and by that time, 30-45 seconds has passed, oil is circulating and you can start your journey.

Just avoid really romping on it until the oil is fully warmed up.

Oh and i always get a chuckle when on some forum i read about a guy warming up his car when it hits 40 degrees.

Oh and as we speak, i've got my car at the end of the driveway ready for the forecasted 30"+ of snow we are about to get slammed with here in Boston area. Everything else is snuggled in the garage, and the G35x is the vehicle of choice for the snow

Old 01-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Lol @ 15 degrees being extreme cold. I think it was that this AM and that wasn't even the coldest day of the year. We had -5 not so long ago. G35 started right up fine.
I know we've had worse days up here - especially last winter, with 2+ feet of snow. For me, once it's below 15, that's really friggin' cold. And that's right around the temp my wife's truck starts making God-awful whining noises.

Oh, my G is on the end of the driveway too...I'm more comfortable driving that than her Liberty in the snow!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.