G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

New here.. Thinking about buying an 08 G35 with 77k miles.. Tomorrow. Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here.. Thinking about buying an 08 G35 with 77k miles.. Tomorrow. Advice?

I know to look at the oil pressure and timing chain.

Not very experienced with Infiniti, the car is at a dealer for $15k in California. G35 Journey with 77k miles. Bluebook is about $15,500. Looking for something nice but reliable.. If I buy it I'll have it inspected by a mechanic first, have them look at the timing chain and check the oil pressure..

I'm just coming from a c5 corvette with 150k that's kind of starting to fall apart but its been an excellent car.. So I want something solid and reliable that I wont have to dump money into and I don't have to worry about much. I originally wanted a Lexus IS350 mostly for reliability reasons, but the car is too small for me (Im 6'4"). But the G35 is more comfortable, looks better in my opinion, and is much less expensive.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The car is very reliable.. it's good you are aware of the oil pressure issue but it still is a very slim chance your car will have it. As the years go by, however, who knows.

I would go for it. I bought an 07 two years ago with around the same mileage.. I've had to do nothing except oil changes and the 75K.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:10 PM
I just bought an 08 g35x last week with 79,000 miles. I love it. This is coming from a guy who owned a bmw 540i for 11 years. I miss the e39 greatly, but am very happy with my purchase. Got it fully loaded with everything except advanced cruise control. You will not be unhappy with this purchase.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
You should have problem with the interior dimension with the G35, unless you track your car. I am 6'1" and its a TIGHT fit with the helmet on

Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Go find the post for the P0011 code. Definitely do a oil pressure check. I find most G35 that are on the market has that problem. Ask them if they have the gaskets replaced. Cause even if the oil pressure is fine but they never replace it. Chances are it'll fail because it is paper and very weak.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Thank you for pressure checking most of the G35 on the market for low oil pressure, we really appreciate your service

The following users liked this post:
Nissan Driver (03-23-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:08 AM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
Coming up on 75k miles on my 08 and so for no problem OEM wise, just aftermarket problem which is all good now. Hope everything works out for you

Old 03-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
The car is very reliable.. it's good you are aware of the oil pressure issue but it still is a very slim chance your car will have it. As the years go by, however, who knows.

I would go for it. I bought an 07 two years ago with around the same mileage.. I've had to do nothing except oil changes and the 75K.
I'm new here too and I'm about to get a G35 V36 Sedan also, but I was wondering, I thought the oil problems were only in the VQ35DE? Sorry for the lack on knowledge, I'm googling it now. Just wondering. I'll be coming from an Accord so maint is a big concern when looking at the G35.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by G35.JETLife

I thought the oil problems were only in the VQ35DE?

They are separate issues. The DE motor had oil consumption issues, whereas the HR and VHR motors (until gasket redesign in 2012) have the potential for low oil pressure issues.

Here's some background: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ous-about.html

Old 03-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
They are separate issues. The DE motor had oil consumption issues, whereas the HR and VHR motors (until gasket redesign in 2012) have the potential for low oil pressure issues.

Here's some background: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ous-about.html
So I'm reading it and it says I can get a new gasket separately. But I have a few questions (I'm still reading so sorry if it gets answered in the other thread), but do ALL V36 G35's have this problem? And if not, what determines if it will. My other question would be, what would the total cost to repair this cost. They listed a few part numbers, but idk if they are the correct ones but they only cost $20. This kinda made me reconsider getting a G cause I'm currently in college and I saved up about 14gs to spend on one, but if I need to cash out another 1,500 to replace the gasket to remove the code, idk if I can do that.

If I do end up getitng the G (which I probably will unless this is in EVERY G) , how do I check if the car has this problem? I'm not a super mechanic but I know the basics and I have friends who works at mom & pop shops, but yeah. Thanks in advanced.

Looking into the sedan 07-08 35s, mainly trim Journey plus.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
They don't all have the problem, but they all have the paper gasket that can tear and cause the prob. No telling whether or not (or when) its gonna give. I believe the repair is around $2k at the dealer.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:42 PM
So I'm reading it and it says I can get a new gasket separately. But I have a few questions (I'm still reading so sorry if it gets answered in the other thread), but do ALL V36 G35's have this problem? And if not, what determines if it will. My other question would be, what would the total cost to repair this cost. They listed a few part numbers, but idk if they are the correct ones but they only cost $20. This kinda made me reconsider getting a G cause I'm currently in college and I saved up about 14gs to spend on one, but if I need to cash out another 1,500 to replace the gasket to remove the code, idk if I can do that.

If I do end up getting the G (which I probably will unless this is in EVERY G) , how do I check if the car has this problem? I'm not a super mechanic but I know the basics and I have friends who works at mom & pop shops, but yeah. Thanks in advanced.

Looking into the sedan 07-08 35s, mainly trim Journey plus.
Good, keep reading, as pretty much every question you're asking has been covered.

In short, NO, as yet they do not all 'get it', but only time will tell if the averages remain consistent as they're now aging.

The best/easiest way to detect if your car has a gasket that is leaking, is to measure your oil pressure.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-pressure.html

Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 PM
If I am going to go buy a car, would any of these methods work quick enough to not **** off the seller? Reason is, I'm looking at 07-08 G35's with around anywhere from 65-95k miles on it. Want to make sure if it does have the gasket problem, I can tell them about it and try and bring down the price by like a grand.

Another question is, How difficult is this for a DIY project. I've read from the thread that i Just need to remove the philip screws and repalce from there. Assembling is self-explanatory and yeah. Is this true? I'm not certified mechanic but I can have a friend who works at a shop and my pops. In other words, can this be done by just buying the $100-200 worth of parts and skip out on the 12 hours of labor? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 PM
SORRY TO OP FOR asking this thread, if anyone feels like I am disrespecting the OP, tell me and I'll make my own thread. Just figured since we are both looking to buy, it's okay.

Anyways, If I am buying the car from a dealership, is it a bad or smart idea to bring up the oil pressure. Say for example, they know about the car having the bad gaskets, and I bring it up. Would they check the oil pressure for me on the spot and if its low, can the car price be talked down? I'm just confused on how to treat this as most HRs will get it eventually (from what I read since they are all made of paper) and since there was no recall on it. I'm still reading the other thread.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:41 PM
If I am going to go buy a car, would any of these methods work quick enough to not **** off the seller? Reason is, I'm looking at 07-08 G35's with around anywhere from 65-95k miles on it. Want to make sure if it does have the gasket problem, I can tell them about it and try and bring down the price by like a grand.

Another question is, How difficult is this for a DIY project. I've read from the thread that i Just need to remove the philip screws and replace from there. Assembling is self-explanatory and yeah. Is this true? I'm not certified mechanic but I can have a friend who works at a shop and my pops. In other words, can this be done by just buying the $100-200 worth of parts and skip out on the 12 hours of labor? Thanks.
How is anyone supposed to know what will **** off a seller? I would just make it a final condition of the sale that it passes an oil pressure test. Not really any different than requesting the car be inspected by a mechanic prior to final sale. In fact, you could just incorporate that particular test into the inspection. Of course you know that the cost of any pre-sale inspections are usually paid by the buyer, right?

As far as the gasket replacement being a DIY project, I would say NO, it is out of the range of the majority of the people on this forum. It is not just a simple removal of phillips screws and you're on your merry way. It still involves removing pretty much all accessories from the engine and then tearing the front cover off the engine to access those screws. It is not technically difficult, but it is more in-depth than most non-professional people's mechanical prowess extends, and that alone is typically where you see these 10-12 hour labor quotes; which are just for the abbreviated repair. The full blown repair is more like 16-18 hours and requires removal of all the timing gear, which is absolutely not DIY without a pretty good basis in engine mechanics.

If you a friend who is a mechanic and a dad with good experience, then sure, the brief repair method is totally do-able, but then that's not really considered a DIY project, which is what you asked . . . er, sort of.

The following users liked this post:
Nissan Driver (03-23-2015)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New here.. Thinking about buying an 08 G35 with 77k miles.. Tomorrow. Advice?