G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Water Madness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Madness

I'm having a similar issue as a lot of members here. However, I cannot seem to even begin to locate it.

It all started when it was raining very hard. All of a sudden my instrument cluster lights as well as my nav lights started to flicker constantly. I couldn't control it via the switch at all. After turning the car off and back on fixed that problem. Next my trunk wouldn't open whether it was it the key FOB, switch by the steering wheel, or the button on the trunk itself. Nothing would work to open the trunk except the emergency release handle.

I thought water had leaked on my BCM but after taking all the panels off and looking at all the connections, nothing was wet. The carpet was bone dry as well as the foam underneath. A day went by and when I was driving, the trunk would pop open by itself (even on the highway). Still no control over the buttons. I disabled it via the glove box button. Another day went by and I got power back into the button by the steering wheel and the button on the trunk. No power yet on the key FOB. I said "okay, I'll just leave it for now". Well, then the trunk started to pop whenever it wanted too while the car was off and stationary. After a few days of that, I got power back into the key FOB and the car was FINALLY back to normal.

Now it brings me to today. I just got done washing the car and went to move it out of the driveway and all my radio stations were reset back to factory. Everything else was the same except my radio.

I've poured water down into my sunroof drain holes and then I look under the car, it drains everything. I took all the paneling off for the BCM, there is no water at all over there. I haven't had a windshield replaced (which most of the problems occur because of this). And I haven't had any wiring done. Everything is stock.

I've read countless threads on water on the drivers side, passengers side, and in the rear. But I haven't read one thread relating to my issue. Especially with electronic issues.

Can someone point me in the right direction or give me advice on what to do?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM
I should have noted I drive a 08 G35x.

There is no water on either side of the floor mats or benath them. Now is there any water that I can see dripping down from the "dead peddle" or from the glovebox area. Everything is spotless and dry. So somewhere, someway water is getting into my electronic system. Has anyone experienced this before?

Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
OK this is an odd one. I am more convinced you have an electrical gremlin vs water intrusion since your stereo reset itself. Even when you disconnect the battery the stations don't reset themselves since they're stored in the radio and the BCM doesn't control them.

Did you blow fuses? So your saying the dash lighting, including the speedo and tach dimmed and brighten? Did the nav screen also dim and brighten? There could be a BCM or IPDM issue but I don't think it's water intrusion. Since your stereo reset itself i'm leaning towards the IPDM but I need to read more in the shop manual first.

EDIT: since it was raining did you notice problems with your headlights or wipers? Any info will help.

Last edited by RemmyZero; 09-17-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:39 AM
So I went through the shop manual and I think you need to discount the stereo issue as being related. It seems like that's a fluke. Even when the battery is disconnected the radio stations don't reset. My stereo tends to shut itself off and restart randomly so just watch and see if it happens again. Had it happened on a separate day or the same day while the car was running and it was raining out then i'd think you had more water problems but since this was another day and the car was already off i'd discount it as a glitch.

As for the interior lights and trunk, it does sound like you had a BCM issue. The BCM controls both these functions ultimately so that's the only common link. It's possible you have water inside the BCM somewhere. I'm sure there is a grommet in the doorframe area or engine bay that could have leaked water into the BCM. It is odd that you didn't find any signs of water intrusion but the fact that it all happened during a rainstorm is too coincidental to dismiss.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
It is odd that you didn't find any signs of water intrusion but the fact that it all happened during a rainstorm is too coincidental to dismiss.
Exactly. I even took the connections off the BCM and looked at them. Zero signs of water. Nothing at all. Not even a drip anywhere.

and the fact that after washing my car, all my radio stations mysteriously vanished?

It's weird that you mention the radio stations should still be there after disconnecting the battery. I disconnected the battery a few weeks ago for about 30 minutes and when I hooked it up, everything was deleted (radio, memory seats, windows, comfort and convenience settings).

I took the front passenger cowl off today and noticed some exposed wiring that wasn't protected by electrical tape or a gasket (VERY minimal exposure). So I taped that up the best I could. Highly doubt that was the problem. I even checked the cabin air filter once the cowl was off. BONE DRY.

I really hope it's not my BCM. Because we're talking a lot of money to get a new one and get it sync.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
OK this is an odd one. I am more convinced you have an electrical gremlin vs water intrusion since your stereo reset itself. Even when you disconnect the battery the stations don't reset themselves since they're stored in the radio and the BCM doesn't control them.

Did you blow fuses? So your saying the dash lighting, including the speedo and tach dimmed and brighten? Did the nav screen also dim and brighten? There could be a BCM or IPDM issue but I don't think it's water intrusion. Since your stereo reset itself i'm leaning towards the IPDM but I need to read more in the shop manual first.

EDIT: since it was raining did you notice problems with your headlights or wipers? Any info will help.
I checked all my fuses and they are all good.

Yes, the instrument cluster lights and the nav lights were flickering constantly and when I mean flicker I mean switch between night and day settings. That was fixed by turning car off and then back on.

Zero problems with the wipers or the headlights. They would as they should.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
You mentioned finding exposed wiring under the cowling. Was there ever any aftermarket wiring work performed on the car? (i.e. stereo, alarm, etc.) I also wonder if it could be related to some grounding issues, or perhaps to some kind of a fault in the voltage regulation in the charging system. I know if the battery is disconnected while the car is running that you can get crazy voltage spikes which can damage the ECU, so I would expect it could also damage any other controller unit such as the BCM as well.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:06 PM
The wires that were exposed were original. Just some of the tape wasn't covering about 2mm of exposed insulated wires. I don't think that was it though. Car is 100% factory stock. Never had any issue with it before. Battery was never discharge while the engine was running. Only disconnected the negative terminal for 30 mins while the vehicle was off to try and reset the system. That is when my trunk wouldn't open. I was hoping resetting the cars internals would do that. It did not.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by G35xdriver04

and the fact that after washing my car, all my radio stations mysteriously vanished?

It's weird that you mention the radio stations should still be there after disconnecting the battery. I disconnected the battery a few weeks ago for about 30 minutes and when I hooked it up, everything was deleted (radio, memory seats, windows, comfort and convenience settings).

I really hope it's not my BCM. Because we're talking a lot of money to get a new one and get it sync.
I had my battery disconnected for about a half an hour the other week to remove my fuel pump and didn't lose anything but I should preface that by saying i'm referring to my XM stations. I don't listen to regular radio so I have no idea if they reset or not but i'll check this afternoon. Obviously the windows and MPG readout go every time you pull the battery so that's expected. The radio isn't controlled by the BCM though so that's why I think you need to consider them as unrelated.

I don't think you need a new BCM at all since everything is fine now but the issue is going to be figuring out how to prevent it from happening again. I'm wondering if water was trapped inside the BCM. if it was inside the connectors somehow then you may not have seen traces of it. It only takes a little bit. It may be worth pulling the connector associated with the steering column switch and/or the trunk release to see if there's any leftover moisture. My thinking is that if it came in from the outside a little could have just run along the wires into the backside of the bcm and sat in the connector.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
FWIW, I've had the battery pulled out of my '07 for a couple days and still had all my AM/FM radio presets remain intact. I think they're either stored in non-volatile memory, or there is some on-board power source, capacitor, or some such within the radio.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:27 PM
This happened to me after a rain storm.. After turning the car off, it would not restart. The only code I got was a throttle sensor high. I cleared the code and it ran fine for a year. Three days ago, again in a rainy period, the alternator went out. It failed a bench check. After replacing alternator and going through throttle return procedure car ran fine. Today, AGAIN RAINING, the instrument cluster lit up and was completely haywire with intermittent flashing of the headlights. After stopping car would not start. I removed the battery, removed the IDPM cover. The wiring loom on the back of the battery compartment had debris in it and was moist. The battery shelf had standing water in the two recesses where two of the four battery shelf bolts connect to the body. I removed the battery shelf and the area below it, where three wiring looms come together, there was a small amount of water. The wiring looms were partially exposed and anchored to the body with factory zip ties. Basically the car was designed so the cowling drains into the battery compartment and through a drain hole in the bottom. Hhhmmmm, water and electronics in the same place. I dried everything for about an hour including quick disconnects for the three looms with a hair dryer on medium heat. Then I sprayed all wires, modules, fuses and connector with CRC wire dryer. Again, dried everything with a hair dryer for another half hour. Reassembled everything except I left out the two bolts in the recesses of the battery shelf and put RTV around the bolt holes on the bottom of the battery tray. This will allow future water in the battery tray to drain out of it and to the ground. You still have two battery tray bolts that are not recessed plus the battery strap to hold in the battery. After reconnecting the battery, all the wired light and instrument cluster flashing stopped. The car turned over, but would not start, no codes were thrown. I turned the key on and off 7 times and the car started and runs fine. I think this ritual tells the alarm system it's really you and or enables throttle relearn.

Bottom line, there had been a considerable amount of moisture in the body cavity below the battery shelf, probably even some standing water that was overflow from the battery tray in large rain storms where the cowl drains just above the battery. This is at best, a very poor design, and is a flaw Infinity should have recalled. I also drilled a couple of additional drain holes th the body cavity below the battery shelf. If this fix does not hold, I'll post my next move.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Per my previous post, I have. An 06 G35 Journey, sedan with 175,000+ miles.