Braking Vibration Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braking Vibration Please Help!

Hello all. I have an 07 g35S sedan. A few months ago I noticed a small vibration through the steering wheel. I assumed it might be the pads so I replaced them and there was no change. The rotors look fine visually but I suspect they might be my problem. It only vibrates when braking. High speed braking (80+mph) is the worst, it's kind of violent. At very low speeds the car lopes until I let off of the brakes or stop completely. Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:09 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Rotors may be warped

Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by fousejoshua
Hello all. I have an 07 g35S sedan. A few months ago I noticed a small vibration through the steering wheel. I assumed it might be the pads so I replaced them and there was no change. The rotors look fine visually but I suspect they might be my problem. It only vibrates when braking. High speed braking (80+mph) is the worst, it's kind of violent. At very low speeds the car lopes until I let off of the brakes or stop completely. Thank you in advance for your help.
Welcome the the the wonderful world of G35 brake judder. Probably a thousand posts on the subject, so a quick search for judder will tell you all you need to know. (It is deposits on the rotors)

Old 02-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Thank you

Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Rotors may be warped
I believe you are right about the rotors. I guess I'll shop around for a good set and a decent price. Anybody know where I can find good rotors online? Thank you all for the help.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:13 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you that they are NOT warped. They have uneven pad deposits on them. Again, this is extremely common with the brakes on these 2nd gen cars.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:46 PM
How?

Originally Posted by vqsmile
I can pretty much guarantee you that they are NOT warped. They have uneven pad deposits on them. Again, this is extremely common with the brakes on these 2nd gen cars.
How do I remove the deposits? Do they need to be machined? I didn't see a solution in any thread.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by fousejoshua
How do I remove the deposits? Do they need to be machined? I didn't see a solution in any thread.
Read this:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

and this:

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1SJ14.pdf

If the judder isn't bad and has only just started, it MAY be possible to have them ground to clean them up, but you do risk the possibility of having symptoms return. If it were me, I would just replace the rotors and be done with it. The TSB from Infiniti adds a larger splash shield on the backside of the rotor for better airflow for cooling and splash protection.

Pic here

: https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-bra...ml#post5322105

Be aware that many people developed judder symptoms even after the TSB was performed on their cars. Basically, these brakes were just poorly designed.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:52 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Bad shocks can also cause a judder when braking. It's most likely a brake problem, but if your problem persists, it will most certainly be bad shocks. Or if you already have "cupping" on the inside of your tires, you may wanna go for shocks first.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Common issue with OEM rotors. They "warp" just backing out of the driverway.

I've had great luck with the Centric Premium rotors. I've purchased mine off Rockauto.com

Old 04-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
another vote for centric. I use Hawk HP plus pads with them. badass pads.
edit, when i first bought my g I had the shudder, seems like it was pad imprinting from the lame oem pads. I put the Hawks in and did a dozen stops per the break in procedure. shudder gone! no issues since. rotors saved!

not sure if this will work for all situations, but it was easy fix for me.

Last edited by lifted-d; 04-01-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by lifted-d
another vote for centric. I use Hawk HP plus pads with them. badass pads.
edit, when i first bought my g I had the shudder, seems like it was pad imprinting from the lame oem pads. I put the Hawks in and did a dozen stops per the break in procedure. shudder gone! no issues since. rotors saved!

not sure if this will work for all situations, but it was easy fix for me.
I've had my 2007 for nearly a decade now. I can tell you, changing the rotors isn't a longterm solution. The TSB? that's not the answer either. Not sure what the issue is but when it does happen, I do the procedure to bed in the brakes. It seems to work to greatly reduce judder but it doesn't go away completely. My advice? Learn to live with mild judder and periodically bed in the brakes to keep judder at bay.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
I've had my 2007 for nearly a decade now. I can tell you, changing the rotors isn't a longterm solution. The TSB? that's not the answer either. Not sure what the issue is but when it does happen, I do the procedure to bed in the brakes. It seems to work to greatly reduce judder but it doesn't go away completely. My advice? Learn to live with mild judder and periodically bed in the brakes to keep judder at bay.
what type of pads are you using? I've had mine for about 6 yrs and no judder since switching to Hawk. Imo, learning to live with it is terrible advice!! Hawk HP PLUS!! do it!

the bed in procedure heats and scours off the pad imprint, but if your using crummy pads they will imprint again and the judder comes back. I had the same issue on my nissan, massive judder then switch to hawks hps on that car (more of a street compound) and judder free ever since.

doesn't have to be hawks of course but that is what i have has success with. there are many aggressive metallic and semi metallic pads out there, ferro carbon.
i'd avoid 'organic' compounds even kevlar compounds are too 'soft and gentle'

Old 04-02-2017, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Oem is good, not lame...

Old 04-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by lifted-d
what type of pads are you using? I've had mine for about 6 yrs and no judder since switching to Hawk. Imo, learning to live with it is terrible advice!! Hawk HP PLUS!! do it!'
I am using StopTech Street performance.

I would agree that pads that are not "rotor friendly" do a better job minimizing judder. The ceramic pads I've tried before all seem to develop judder in a hurry and have less of an effect when bedding in the brakes. I've chucked two sets of ceramic pads well before their time. So far I'm happy with the StopTech's--will try the HP Plus next on your recommendation.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Anyone mind commenting on the noise of the HP Plus pads?
I just bought a 08 g35x and judder is extremely annoying to me, I'd honestly rather deal with dust and noise if its not too bad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Braking Vibration Please Help!