Wanted: Unrevised front Z springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted: Revised/Unrevised front Z springs

I need to lower my 03.5 sedan!

Does anyone know if Z/coupe set-up is technically legit as far as not needing new shocks? Because my mechanic friend said that just because the spring rate is the same, it doesn't mean I won't need new shocks (due to the spring height being off).

Help out a brother.

Last edited by 4drGcruiser; 12-04-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
You will be fine with an unrevised setup. Many people have done it and put many miles on their car with no shock problems.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks bud

Can't wait to get it done. All I need now is a pair of front Z springs and my front cambers.

Any of you guys had it done and didn't get front cambers? I know you won't see any wear until after about 10,000 miles.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I replied to your PM about the camber correction. One other note, if you are just looking for front springs revised or unrevised does not matter as the fronts are the same rate for all years. Revised springs just have the higher rate (427) in the rear.

See this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension/65190-g35-350z-aftermarket-coilover-springs-shocks-spec-s-w-updates.html

Old 12-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jameyb
You will be fine with an unrevised setup. Many people have done it and put many miles on their car with no shock problems.
I wouldn't say that asking the same rear shock to handle a 25% stiffer spring is guaranteed to be without problems. The oem rear shocks simply do not have a deep well of dampning to draw from to handle that kind of spring stiffness increase. I've driven on both type's of oem z springs and while the unrevised spring is a non issue, the revised springs added stiffness brings out issues related to dampning control in the rear. You won't feel it in steady state, but on less then smooth pavement, especially while cornering things move in way's that I could not except. Can't say it's a shock wear issue, but a issue of proper control.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
I wouldn't say that asking the same rear shock to handle a 25% stiffer spring is guaranteed to be without problems. The oem rear shocks simply do not have a deep well of dampning to draw from to handle that kind of spring stiffness increase. I've driven on both type's of oem z springs and while the unrevised spring is a non issue, the revised springs added stiffness brings out issues related to dampning control in the rear. You won't feel it in steady state, but on less then smooth pavement, especially while cornering things move in way's that I could not except. Can't say it's a shock wear issue, but a issue of proper control.
Now I am confused. Based on the fact that he stated in the first post that the spring rates will remain the same I assumed he is planning on installing unrevised Z springs on a sedan sports suspension. Based on numerous posts I have read from you when deciding on my own setup, I understood there would be no issues with the stock sedan sports shocks and an unrevised setup even though the car is sitting an inch lower. Am I missing something?

Jamey.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jameyb
Now I am confused. Based on the fact that he stated in the first post that the spring rates will remain the same I assumed he is planning on installing unrevised Z springs on a sedan sports suspension. Based on numerous posts I have read from you when deciding on my own setup, I understood there would be no issues with the stock sedan sports shocks and an unrevised setup even though the car is sitting an inch lower. Am I missing something?

Jamey.
Gsedan35 was referring to the revised springs, since his title states he is looking for either. Unrevised springs will work with sport springs, but at the cost of a shorter life. Revised springs shouldn't be used with sedan springs due to the lack of dampening ability of the sedan sports for the stiffer revised springs. My suggestion would be to pick up a complete 350z revised/unrevised including the shocks, since they can had for pretty cheap anyways, and doing a complete suspension swap at the same time. That setup will allow the most suspension travel and last the longest because it is essentially an OEM setup.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Gsedan35 was referring to the revised springs, since his title states he is looking for either. Unrevised springs will work with sport springs, but at the cost of a shorter life. Revised springs shouldn't be used with sedan springs due to the lack of dampening ability of the sedan sports for the stiffer revised springs. My suggestion would be to pick up a complete 350z revised/unrevised including the shocks, since they can had for pretty cheap anyways, and doing a complete suspension swap at the same time. That setup will allow the most suspension travel and last the longest because it is essentially an OEM setup.
Actually, his original post said unrevised only. He edited it after he realized he could buy either since he is only looking for fronts and the spring rates are the same for either revised or unrevised.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Ohhhhhh, fronts,....................don't I feel stupid, big ole NEVER mind.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by 4drGcruiser
I need to lower my 03.5 sedan!

Does anyone know if Z/coupe set-up is technically legit as far as not needing new shocks? Because my mechanic friend said that just because the spring rate is the same, it doesn't mean I won't need new shocks (due to the spring height being off).

Help out a brother.
It is a non issue.

Their is a differance between sedan shocks and Z based shocks that has noting to do with valving or stiffness. Oem Z based shocks have 3/4" shorter bodies and piston rod lengths. This won't effect drop height. I never had any issues related to "kissing" the bump stops with oem Z springs and oem sedan shocks. The shorter Z shock lengths, really comes into play when you drop lower then 1".