Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Need advice on a new HU; 03 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on a new HU; 03 coupe

Howdy.

My stock CD player just bit the dust last week. Owned the car for 8 years without any CD issues and then it jammed up on the way home.

Since I drive a bit to work, I listen to Books on CD so I need to get it replaced. After pricing it out, it seems a much better option to do a conversion and get a new HU.

Here is my features wishlist:

1. Bluetooth streaming of audio (so I can stream Pandora, Audible, and other MP3s via my Evo); Hands free calling is also a must have, but I haven't seen a HU that gives me audio streaming but not HF.

2. Front USB port; want the option to plug in a USB stick to listen to MP3s when I don't have the phone handy

3. Steering wheel control compatible

After searching around on Crutchfield, I've narrowed it down to a few options:

1. Sony Xplod BT3900/3800
2. Clarion CX501
3. Kenwood DDX418

Any opinions on which of these I should or shouldn't get? Or any other HUs I should look at? I'm fairly new to the car stereo game so I'm sure I could have missed a big option

Budget will allow for any of them. I was originally almost completely in the DDX418 boat, but as I thought about it more, I wasn't sure the extra $250 would be worth it. Do I get anything by going with a DDIN setup like that over a Single DIN one like the Sony?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
1 - All current-generation mainstream brand bluetooth-enabled units do bluetooth streaming audio (A2DP), but you still may run into last year's units out there that don't do it.

2 - You'll have to get hands-on with some of these units to see how well they support the USB sticks you use. Unlike iPods, which are pretty much uniformly quick to use in most systems, USB speed and interface quality differs greatly between units. It's kinda hard to find good videos for it, since everybody favors showing off iPod interfaces instead.

3 - Every unit built by mainstream manufacturers support steering wheel controls.

I'd fully recommend the Pioneer 3300BT, but that's more on the interface preference, as the Kenwood is just as well-equipped.

Bluetooth streaming
Handsfree bluetooth
Front USB
Colors of the illumination can be set to perfectly match the interior

I would give the Pioneer the edge based on Pandora support built-in, but I doubt you're going to ditch your Evo for an iPhone, so that's a moot point.

I'd stay away from the Clarion, that 1980s-era interface just isn't worth putting up with for years just to save a couple cents per day. Same goes for the Sony, plus, do you really want a blue-buttoned single-din radio clashing in the interior?

Do the DDX418 or the Pioneer 3300BT.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Does the 3300BT support streaming from non-iOS devices? I read some reviews, and did some Googling, but I couldn't find anything that definately said Android devices could stream to it.

The 3300BT was my first choice. I actually had all the components in the cart and ready to go, but once I read more about not being able to stream from the EVO, I started looking elsewhere.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yes, it will stream from any bluetooth device that supports A2DP (bluetooth stereo out), which the Evo does. I'm not sure if the Evo supports the controls via bluetooth like iOS devices do though, letting you skip/rewind through the stereo, but the audio portion should have no problem streaming.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
That's interesting since the manual says it will only do HF phone. I guess it wouldn't be the first time I've done something with a piece of electronics that the manufacturer didn't intended

Beyond the Pandora control, is there any other reason to go with the 3300BT over the DDX418? The 3300BT has an SD card port, but I don't think I would use that any more than I would putting things on a USB stick. Is the Pioneer interface better (less laggy or more user friendly)?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by thewarden
That's interesting since the manual says it will only do HF phone. I guess it wouldn't be the first time I've done something with a piece of electronics that the manufacturer didn't intended

Beyond the Pandora control, is there any other reason to go with the 3300BT over the DDX418? The 3300BT has an SD card port, but I don't think I would use that any more than I would putting things on a USB stick. Is the Pioneer interface better (less laggy or more user friendly)?
It's something the manufacturer clearly intended:
Originally Posted by http://www.htc.com/us/support/evo-sprint/help/bluetooth
Which Bluetooth profiles and functions does the phone support?
The phone supports the following Bluetooth Profiles: Bluetooth Headset, Hands free, A2DP, and FTP, as well as other standard profiles.
The interface on the 3300BT is better, maybe a little bit less laggy, but they're both acceptable.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Sorry...I wasn't clear. The p3300BT's manual claims it only does bluetooth phone. But if you bought their add-on adapter, you could do bluetooth audio.

I guess I need to go to a shop and play with both of the to see which I'd prefer.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by thewarden
Sorry...I wasn't clear. The p3300BT's manual claims it only does bluetooth phone. But if you bought their add-on adapter, you could do bluetooth audio.

I guess I need to go to a shop and play with both of the to see which I'd prefer.
Wow, my bad, I saw it in the original spec list and never saw that they removed the feature. (same as this guy)

Buy the Kenwood and let Pioneer know why, I just sent them an e-mail letting them know why I couldn't recommend the 3300BT over the DDX418 anymore. Maybe they'll un-gimp it later, or at least open the feature up in the 3400BT next year.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 06-08-2011 at 11:43 AM.