Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Fitment question.Alpine spr-17s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fitment question.Alpine spr-17s

Friend gave me a set of Alpine spr-17s (6-1/2) componets. Will these fit in the g35? And can I run then without a amp?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
They will fit in the front and rear doors of a sedan. Should fit in the front of a coupe. You do NOT need an amp, but because they are type Rs it would be advised that you do for best performance..... Also, you will need mounting brackets except on the front of the sedans, you can use the stock bracket. Most 6 1/2s work with it.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Yea ,have coupe.Were do I get brackets?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 PM
You can do one of two things.

Make them. Use MDF and trace it out using the template in the manual. If you don't have it, get it off Alpine's website. You can also measure the speaker and cut a hole large enough for it to fit through and leave little half circle pieces hanging off the larger circle for the screws to pass through. Google brackets and you'll see what they look like.

Or, order them through Amazon, Crutchfield, Ebay

The simple MDF setup works nicely and is how I did mine. I also used FatMat and placed it around the speaker hole before I mounted the bracket to cutdown on vibration/resonance.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Thx! How thick does the spacer have to be?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
I know you PMd me but I prefer to answer in the forum for everyone's benefit.

Install is simple. If the coupe, and it should be, is similar to the sedan.... You remove 3 screws from the door. 1 by handle, 2 inside door handle/bar. Pull back on bottom of door plastic and work your way up popping the plastic from the metal frame and lift up. Becareful when pulling, it will take force but don't bend your plastic in half. Becareful also when putting the door back together and make sure the two wires used for the door handle are snapped in place otherwise the handles won't function.

Unclip the plastic clips for most if not all of the accessories so you have room to work. The uninstall of factory and install of aftermarket is simple. Remove screws and screw in new speakers. You can solder every wire, use inline wire taps, cut the adapter and twist/crimp (not recommended) or buy aftermarket speaker harnesses through Crutchfield etc.

The MDF board should be about 1/4 to 3/4 inch or so. You have a lot of room back there so 3/4 would be just fine. Anything bigger would be over kill. Honestly, I mounted my speakers directly to my metal door shell for about a week until my brackets arrived. I wouldn't do this but ultimately you can.

Do remember though, I already told you that you should be able to use the factory bracket for the front doors. I did this for my 6 1/2s on my front doors. Try it first before you start going crazy cutting MDF lol!!!

You may need to trim ever so slightly for a perfect fitment but I'm certain they will fit.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Thx,Sergeant,you helped alot!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
They'll fit front or rear doors on the sedan, and doors and rear sides in the coupe.

They'll work without an amp, but as SergeantRed said, you're not going to get the performance you want out of them, their 87db sensitivity is much lower than the stock speakers, so they'll end up quieter. That massive magnet takes a lot of power to compensate.

The stock bracket can probably be re-drilled to support those speakers, but I'd recommend doing an MDF ring for something more stable if you're going to be putting the proper amount of power to them. If you can't make your own circles in wood, zenclosures makes great spacers for $20 - http://www.zenclosures.com/Speaker-Spacers-s/36.htm

Old 05-21-2013, 12:28 PM
^ well said..... I found that the stock brackets work fine for 6.5 without cutting, tight, but no trimming. However, they WILL NOT fit 6.75 speakers as you'll lose too much surface area on the rim for the screws to tighten into.