Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help - GROM Install but missing SAT option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help - GROM Install but missing SAT option

Forgive me if i missed a thread regarding a similar issue but after searching I didn't locate anything to help.

I have a 2005 Coupe with Bose but no nav. When I test drove the car and pushed the 'radio' button on the stereo it went FM1, FM2, AM, SAT 1, SAT 2. That might not be exact but I was 100% sure the car had XM hooked up and was still working.

After purchasing the car I pushed the radio button again and it only has FM1&2 and AM with no other options. I'm assuming that the subscription ran out on the XM? But why would the option for that 'channel' suddenly just disappear? What do i need to do to get it back?

If the car is wired for SAT i should still be able to use the Grom correct??

Do i need to subscribe to XM to simply be able to use that button preset?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Perhaps they removed the adapter after the test drive?

The channel would still be there to give you subscription information if the adapter and antenna were still installed.

The Grom unit connects to the headunit, not in the trunk, so yes, it'll work fine regardless of your satellite radio status.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...x-install.html

Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
So if the adapter is gone do i need to go purchase one to trick the head unit into thinking that the satellite option should exist??

I had connected the Grom and got to the point of turning on the unit to see if it worked only to find the SAT channel missing. Sucked.

BTW thanks for posting the 05 Radio removal vid on youtube, i noticed the same screenname. Very helpful.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by 24joshuapoint
So if the adapter is gone do i need to go purchase one to trick the head unit into thinking that the satellite option should exist??

I had connected the Grom and got to the point of turning on the unit to see if it worked only to find the SAT channel missing. Sucked.

BTW thanks for posting the 05 Radio removal vid on youtube, i noticed the same screenname. Very helpful.
No, the grom unit acts as a satellite adapter, you don't need a factory satellite adapter to use the Grom.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 PM
So how do i get that option back on the RADIO button to get a SAT channel to show up?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
once you install the grom unit the satellite option will be visible again. it will automatically bring it back.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM
ok maybe i picked the wrong wire for the power which is why it didn't show up. Is the yellow wire on the left side harness the power wire??

edit - went back in tonight and tried again. I was looking at the wiring diagram the wrong way. I also had to switch which input i was putting the BT cable and the USB/aux cable (i think). Worked fine in the end. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by 24joshuapoint; 02-19-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
Which wire did you tap for power?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 PM
The fat yellow one in the middle. The diagram of wires in the GROM brochure seemed to be upside down, could be me tho.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys,

im looking into purchasing a grom unit for my vehicle. i have a 2005 g35x sedan with naivaigation. my head unit has a radio button, cd button, pty/cat button, and a disp button, but not button which states sat. i did notice however that in the trunk area, at the top right where the trunk lid would seat, i have a small black box with wires going to and from it which says sirius on it. so does that mean my car is pre wired for it? just without a sat button? ive read online here through my own research that a radio button acts as a sat button. but the grom product says it needs a sat button. any help to clear up this confusion would be greatly appreaciated before i make my purchase, thansk guy!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't take my word for it and someone else can confirm but i think all 2005 models forward have the Sat pre-wired. So once you hook up the Grom and turn on the power you'll be able to push your radio button and have one (probably two) SAT options available. That's what happened with my 2005; the only difference being I don't have Nav.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by aksomji
hey guys,

im looking into purchasing a grom unit for my vehicle. i have a 2005 g35x sedan with naivaigation. my head unit has a radio button, cd button, pty/cat button, and a disp button, but not button which states sat. i did notice however that in the trunk area, at the top right where the trunk lid would seat, i have a small black box with wires going to and from it which says sirius on it. so does that mean my car is pre wired for it? just without a sat button? ive read online here through my own research that a radio button acts as a sat button. but the grom product says it needs a sat button. any help to clear up this confusion would be greatly appreaciated before i make my purchase, thansk guy!
If you have a box that says sirius on it, you have a satellite adapter. pressing the radio button should get you to the satellite mode.

It all depends on what the person who put the trim into your car on the assembly line had on hand whether or not you have a button labled SAT, however, there's only two different radios - bose and non-bose, there's no change in the radio itself for satellite equipped, satellite-wired and unwired but satellite ready vehicles. The only ones that aren't satellite ready, wired or equipped were the early 2003 models that had different radio hardware.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordered! Thanks a lot guys. This products looks great, can't wait to install it and see how it turns out