Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Lost a lot of my bass after replacing stock speakers/HU.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lost a lot of my bass after replacing stock speakers/HU.

I recently installed a Kenwood DDX470 and put in 4 Infinity 6032si powered by a Rockford Fosgate R300X4 Prime 4-Channel Amplifier in my 2006 g35 coupe (non Bose). The installer told me the sound would be a lot better and he was right for the most part. The mids and highs are a lot clearer however I lost almost all my bass even after playing around with the settings from the HU.

I don't really want to go the sub route as I was fine with the amount of bass my stock speakers were putting out. Is there a reason why I lost so much of my low frequency sounds? Should I just go back and put my stock speakers back in? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Do you have a low pass filter set under the speaker settings on the Amp or on the HU? This would limit the bass going to your speakers. This would be an advanced setting

The following users liked this post:
disjunktion (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Hey! Thanks for the response

I see that my amp has the hp-ap-lp **** for both rear and fronts and its currently switched the ap. I thought switching to lp was only for subs? Am I able to switch it to lp even though my amp is connected to speakers only?

My HU also have the LPF and the only thing I can really adjust on it is just the level. I'm assuming I should turn it up a few levels.

Thank you so much!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by disjunktion
Hey! Thanks for the response

I see that my amp has the hp-ap-lp **** for both rear and fronts and its currently switched the ap. I thought switching to lp was only for subs? Am I able to switch it to lp even though my amp is connected to speakers only?

My HU also have the LPF and the only thing I can really adjust on it is just the level. I'm assuming I should turn it up a few levels.

Thank you so much!
Well, #1 reason: You replaced the speakers with shallow-mount coaxial speakers, known for poor bass. Their frequency response doesn't even START until 53hz. That's like having a built-in low-pass filter. Did you read through the reviews before purchase? No bass is a common complaint - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UeYHHv5...er-reviews-tab There's zero need for a shallow-mount speaker in our cars, so if you can still return them, that's the way to go. Pick up something that's usually installed without a subwoofer, they'll likely have a little bit more bass response in exchange for overall sound quality.

To get as much out of them as you can, you'll just have to ensure your amp and headunit are set up right:

LP: Low-pass - used for subs, the FREQ HZ dial sets the point for what passes.
AP: All pass - lets everything through SET IT HERE for your speakers
HP: High-pass - used for speakers, probably uses the same associated dial as LP.

Turn off any crossover in the headunit, or set it to all/full/whatever it's called and start adjusting your EQ from there.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 01-27-2014 at 03:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
disjunktion (01-27-2014), Urbanengineer (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Gotcha, thanks Wrathernaut Will be replacing them ASAP

Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Gotcha, thanks Wrathernaut Will be replacing them ASAP
I'd recommend adding a subwoofer, otherwise you're still going to be wanting more bass. A single 10", properly powered, fill our cars very nicely, and a 8" in a ported enclosure can do the same with losing minimal trunk space.

Have you tried using the factory speakers with the amp? The factory non-bose speakers are fairly well-designed by Panasonic. Probably about equivalent or better than a lot of sub-$50 pairs of speakers.

Now there are actually some that have a listed frequency response range listed that the Infinity speakers you went with list, but can actually put out a lot of the lower-end range of that, so doing your research is key. I've got BA Pro60se's in my G35, and most people would believe there was a woofer installed if I turned the woofer off, but they're quite expensive. For about half the price and about 95% as good, there's the Image Dynamics CTX65-CS, which I put in my wife's G35. I'd buy them again before shelling out for the Boston Acoustics. If those are still above your range, go with the Phoenix Gold RSD6CS, quite good for the price, and you probably won't hear the difference between them and the Image Dynamics once road/wind noise is a factor.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 01-27-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:42 PM
My first plan was to replace my front's back to factory speakers as for the sub, would it be more ideal to change my 4 channel amp to a 5 channel so I don't have to run two amps in my car?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

My first plan was to replace my front's back to factory speakers as for the sub, would it be more ideal to change my 4 channel amp to a 5 channel so I don't have to run two amps in my car?
I always go with two amps in that sort of situation. There's so few 5/6 channel amps to choose from, getting one that has the power you need for a good price is difficult.

What gauge wire is run for the single amp? Anything less than 2 gauge is definitely too thin for dual amps, 0/1 gauge is preferred.

disjunktion (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Infinity is more known for sound quality(typically they sound a bit high for my liking), If you want a really nice component set for a good price check out the TSD Pioneers. You can usually get the set for around $75-100 through amazon and they're great speakers for the price.

disjunktion (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Ah darn, I'll probably end up going with two amps as I am using 4 gauge right now.

Thanks MECP will check them out

Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ah darn, I'll probably end up going with two amps as I am using 4 gauge right now.

Thanks MECP will check them out
At least you can use the 4 gauge to run off of the distribution block from the new 0 gauge you run. You'll have extra, for sure, but it's not completely wasted.

disjunktion (01-28-2014)