Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound Deadening the G.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2009 | 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
id be careful with edead hanging like that

I have bad expericances with edead sideways on the rear quater panel, in the summer time the adhesive gives and you may be havingto clean up some goo
I personally don't like eDead, but if it's butyl based and not asphalt then you don't have the peeling issue as much. I dislike Fatmat since it is asphalt based and will melt and peel under high heat temps.

Old 03-12-2009 | 09:07 PM
Fatmat is definitely inferior and I would not recommend it. I used it on one car, not ideal. It's thin, smells and holds like crap. I do offer thumbs up on raammat bxt60. 60mil thick, butyl and the value seems to be quite good.

Old 03-12-2009 | 09:27 PM
id be careful with edead hanging like that

I have bad expericances with edead sideways on the rear quater panel, in the summer time the adhesive gives and you may be havingto clean up some goo
I put the cover back over top of that. It actually looks like this now:

Old 03-12-2009 | 11:27 PM
FYI found this site for some neat sound deadner....
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

Old 03-13-2009 | 10:53 AM
^^^

The best sound deadener IMO

Old 03-13-2009 | 05:31 PM
Well I picked up a can of that BIg Gap Filler stuff and used the entire can on my trunk. I still have a decent sized void to fill though. Ill let the foam cure over night and then pick up another can tomorrow to finish the rest.

Old 04-09-2009 | 10:11 AM
Since I had the whole rear out I thought I'd fill the panel voids while I was at it so I got some fiberglass insulation and filled it in... I thought it would make a significant difference and it does in a way, but the downside sucks.

Now I have a high pitched whine from those panels on each side. It was more or less an exhaust resonance chamber before so now when the car is on, it whines, even in park. Almost more annoying than the alternative. Just keep wasting time on solutions that don't work for me.

Old 05-10-2009 | 01:59 PM
I used the exact same Dap Tex foam insulator as the original poster and like a week later on a hot day it all started leaking out my trunk and going all over the place!

How do I get this stuff to harden? Im so frustrated I dont know what to do now! Can anyone give me some advice?

Old 05-12-2009 | 02:43 PM
Old 05-12-2009 | 03:11 PM
probably ashphalt based stuff

any deadner made of asphalt is gonna melt in the summer heat
days/weeks of temps over 90º will make the stuff come right off

Old 05-17-2009 | 04:50 PM
shoot....what should I do to get it out...?

Old 05-18-2009 | 12:25 PM
contact the manufacturer and get an MSDS
it may tell you how to remove it

deadner is supposda stay for ever.......

Old 05-19-2009 | 11:21 AM
For those of you that deadened the front doors, how exactly did you do the inside of the exterior panel? There's 2 horizontal bars on the door itself, so I used raammat and put 2 layers of 3 horizontal strips on the door - above the bar, between the bars, and the very bottom below the bar. When I knock on the outside of the door it definitely produces a "thud" like the other panels I've done and it sounds better, but the door itself still resonates. I's definitely more solid but I thought the deadening material is supposed to prevent the resonating as well, and I haven't heard anyone mention anything about that regarding the door. I assume this is primarily because of those horizontal bars and that you can't put one solid layer on the door. Figured I'd try and get some feedback while the panels are still off my door.

Old 05-19-2009 | 11:45 AM
you can go at it two ways

you can try to snake your hands around and apply it where you can

or you can take the inside panel off including the window motor and such.....

Old 05-19-2009 | 12:00 PM
you can go at it two ways

you can try to snake your hands around and apply it where you can

or you can take the inside panel off including the window motor and such.....
I assume you're replying to me since you mentioned the window motor. I completely removed the glass and the motor/panel. I already covered as much of the door as I could get to with 2 layers. If I recall I had 46" long strips covering each area above, between, and below the bars. That's basically the entire length of the door. Just to give you an idea of how much area I covered. But when I knock on the outside, I get the "thud" I'm supposed to but the panel resonates. Just put your ear up to the panel when you knock on it, or if you car's clean and you have a good reflection of light off your panel you'll see it resonate as well. I was just curious if anyone else noticed this. I'm going to do the driver side door tonite so I wanted to check beforehand in case I could've done something better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening the G.