Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVIC-D1/AVIC-Z1 with Double Din Conv. (PICS)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by limeg35
While N1 dont have real time traffic data, but N2 do...
True, but the reason I went with the D1 was because it's an in dash double-din unit.

I think the single-din fold out screens look tacky now. Seems like it just doesn't belong there, especially in a luxury car.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey blackonblackg35...do you know for sure if i would be able to hook up a PS2 with the avic-D1??? is there any sort of bypass for the D1 so you would be able to play dvd's while driving? thanks in advance...i will probably be getting this unit it looks so nice in our cars

Old 06-08-2005, 05:33 PM
You would definitely be able to connect a PS2. Viewing video while driving is a bit more difficult than a traditional screen where grounding the e-brake wire is all that is needed.

I tried that first and it said improper e-brake connection detected. Then I connected it properly to the e-break and then tapped into the wire and grounded it. This removes the error, but still doesn't fix the problem. When I would hit the accelerator it would shut off.

I know the AVIC-N2 uses a gyro to determine when the vehicle is moving, but I don't think AVIC-D1 is the same.

When Im viewing the connection status display, I noticed the buttons would loose functionality as soon as the speed pulse reaches 1. If I drive VERY slow and speed pulse is still 0, then it works just fine.

I think disconnecting the speed sensor wire or putting a switch in the line would fix this problem.

Last edited by BlackonBlackG35; 06-29-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:44 PM
this thread just convinced me to get the avic-d1.. how much would it cost to install ? i have a friend that installs his own systems, but never worked with a g35 or navi systems.... is it that much different from other cars to instal a sound system and navi in g35s? ooo is DD conversion hard to do ? ? ? thanks in advance

Old 06-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackonBlackG35
You would definitely be able to connect a PS2. Viewing video while driving is a bit more difficult than a traditional screen where grounding the e-brake wire is all that is needed.

I tried that first and it said improper e-brake connection detected. Then I connected it properly to the e-break and then tapped into the wire and grounded it. This removes the error, but still doesn't fix the problem. When I would hit the accelerator it would shut off.

I know the AVIC-N2 uses a gyro to determine when the vehicle is moving, but I don't think AVIC-D1 is the same.

When Im viewing the connection status display, I noticed the buttons would loose functionality as soon as the speed pulse reaches 1. If I drive VERY slow and speed pulse is still 0, then it works just fine.

I think disconnecting the speed sensor wire or putting a switch in the line would fix this problem.

Im too lazy to take it apart right now, plus I don't really watch video in my car. It would nice to be able to watch video when I want to though.

I'll probably try it next week...
Worth a try, but.....
You may end up with a tracking problem.
I may be wrong, but I remember reading that the speed sensor was used
in the positioning algorithm, in combination with sat co-ordinates

Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Worth a try, but.....
You may end up with a tracking problem.
I may be wrong, but I remember reading that the speed sensor was used
in the positioning algorithm, in combination with sat co-ordinates
Your exactly right. Thats why if it works, I would definitely put a switch in the line.

This way I can view video only when I want to and have the speed sensor working the rest of the time.

I believe routing the video into the rear-view cam input might work too.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by SKY6mT
this thread just convinced me to get the avic-d1.. how much would it cost to install ? i have a friend that installs his own systems, but never worked with a g35 or navi systems.... is it that much different from other cars to instal a sound system and navi in g35s? ooo is DD conversion hard to do ? ? ? thanks in advance
If you have some basic car install knowledge and know how to solder its not too bad.

If you don't, I would recommend professional installation.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:14 AM
nice install.......those punch must pound!!! with those huge subs, you have any problems with the car rattling?? any dynomat?

Old 06-10-2005, 02:53 PM
watching DVD while driving

So from what I gather, there is no way to play DVD on the D1 from an external DVD source while the car is moving? How about watching TV via the optional TV tuner while driving? That would really suck if there is no way to circumvent this locked out feature. I thought it would be cool for a passenger to be able to watch TV/DVD while the car was in motion. Anyone come up with a way to fix this problem?

Old 06-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by greggr35
So from what I gather, there is no way to play DVD on the D1 from an external DVD source while the car is moving? How about watching TV via the optional TV tuner while driving? That would really suck if there is no way to circumvent this locked out feature. I thought it would be cool for a passenger to be able to watch TV/DVD while the car was in motion. Anyone come up with a way to fix this problem?
Sure there is, just not as easy as before.

Because of pressure from government agencies such as NHTSA, manufacturers are making it more difficult to bypass these safety features.

I read that the new eclipse AVN's function the same. We don't know about the new Kenwood DDX-6/7/8017 yet, but I think it will be more difficult than before.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by krazyken29
nice install.......those punch must pound!!! with those huge subs, you have any problems with the car rattling?? any dynomat?
No dynomat yet, but I really need some. From the outside my trunk lid sounds like its going to fly off.

From the inside it couldn't sound better, it hits harder than I can handle...no rattle's yet.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:27 PM
that looks awesome

Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackonBlackG35
The screen does hit the shifter, so any loading or unloading of discs will have to be done in at least neutral.
...... .

Can this cause damage to the HU screen?
I've pretty much decided to go with the AVIC-D1 as well,
My onle remaining concern is the possibilty of damaging the screen.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 PM
I tried it once and it just stops when it hits the shifter. It cant be good for it.

Every double din screen will have this same problem when installed in a 5AT G35.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:05 AM
its too bad there is no way to flip the position of the AC controls and the double din opening. all you need is one of these

Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC-D1/AVIC-Z1 with Double Din Conv. (PICS)-wish.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D1/AVIC-Z1 with Double Din Conv. (PICS)