Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Photo Radar 'installation help'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photo Radar 'installation help'

Hey, I'm planning on purchasing this item and wanted to know whether you guys recommend it or not. If you do, how would I go about installing this item? Thank you for your help.

Photo Radar $350

[IMG]car-2[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Photo Radar 'installation help'-photo-traps.gif   Photo Radar 'installation help'-tlp_vf2_mustang-20gt.jpg   Photo Radar 'installation help'-vf1-flash.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by DTrejo; 10-05-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:53 AM
dont they have like a plastic thing u can put over ur licence plate that does the same job?

Old 10-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do u know where can i get those plastic plate at..?

Old 10-05-2005, 03:48 AM
that has to be the most stupid thing i have ever seen. $350 to save you from a photo ticket.....

Here is an idea....dont run a red light! not that hard. Speed all you want, and get a radar detector for that...? Sounds reasonable, but save your $350 and just don't run a red light....****

Old 10-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by cutiewolf
do u know where can i get those plastic plate at..?
Ebay

Old 10-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by JeffNaber
that has to be the most stupid thing i have ever seen. $350 to save you from a photo ticket.....

Here is an idea....dont run a red light! not that hard. Speed all you want, and get a radar detector for that...? Sounds reasonable, but save your $350 and just don't run a red light....****
+100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Old 10-05-2005, 09:18 AM
The plastic things don't work; they are a joke. This flash works when its on, but this assumes there is a camera with a flash to trigger the sensors. During the day it will never trigger and most of those cameras at night don't use a flash. Infact most of them are video cameras and use night vision/street lights to work. There really isn't anything you can do about those cameras other than physically covering your plate which is illegal. Just get a good radar detector and a laser jammer if you got money to burn and don't run lights with cameras.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Here in Arizona we not only have red light cameras, but we also have mounted speed cameras, which dont use radar or laser, they simply place sensors in the road which measure your speed. Mind you that some of these traffic cameras aren't even in intersections, sneaky bastards.

My roommate bought a can of this spray gloss stuff, which a lot of people swear by. It's supposed to act as a reflector when any flash actually does occur. Does it work? I'm not sure, I don't speed through those intersections, but it sure as hell didn't hurt to spray my plate with it...

Old 10-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beowulf
The plastic things don't work; they are a joke. This flash works when its on, but this assumes there is a camera with a flash to trigger the sensors. During the day it will never trigger and most of those cameras at night don't use a flash. Infact most of them are video cameras and use night vision/street lights to work. There really isn't anything you can do about those cameras other than physically covering your plate which is illegal. Just get a good radar detector and a laser jammer if you got money to burn and don't run lights with cameras.
In regrads to "plastic things are jokes" ... Hmmm take a look at this picture...

That's "the plastic thingy" on my G... It in fact does do the trick. The above image of my G has not been photoshoped or altered in any way. What you see is exactly what the digital camera saw when it took the pic. The photo-blocker actually works like a prism, and when you try and view it any angle other than straight on it, it simply clears out the center. Regardless if you have a flash or not, there's no image to be saved. Now since most every traffic camera is usually placed on the side of the road and angled over to catch your plate (45 degrees usually), the photo-blocker does in fact work Its really not rocket science. Next time you go through a toll, or see one of the traffic cameras on the streets, note the angle they're at and how they record your plate. Its never going to be directly behind you unless its following you, so it doesnt matter if its a video camera, regular camera, night vision, or whatever, as long as its not directly behind you, it will not capture an image ....

Now the flash thingy on the other I have my doubts with. How fast is it really, to act at the same time the traffic camera does? As for laser jammers - I have the Blinder M20 laser jammer on my G and its worth every penny! I've had it go off many times and sure enough, there was smokey hiding in the bushes. Laser detectors are the real waste of $$$. Unlike radar, which you can pick up prior to be actually "clocked", once your laser detector goes off, you're being clocked. Now human error and factors like is the cop holding it steady enough for him to get a correct reading, and whether or not the laser gun itself is not dealing with any "refraction issues" is the ONLY chance you get to possibly slowing down before being bagged, as it sometimes takes a few hits before a cop can get an acurate reading. With a laser jammer, the Blinder system for one, has been tested by several agencies to be one of the only systems to effectivly block 99%+ of the laser guns out on the market, and yes it is legal to block laser, but its NOT legal to jam a radar gun... why? Laser is a light and is actually goverened by the food and drug agency (believe it or not) and there's no law that say we as consumers cant have higher powered "lights" than what police use, It's that simple. Radar however is goverened by the FCC and it states you can not interefe with any police radio transmission, includding speed radar.... Just some fun facts to think about....

Old 10-06-2005, 02:36 AM
uhh what are the actual names of the "plastic thingies"?

Old 10-06-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by cloud
uhh what are the actual names of the "plastic thingies"?

Maybe the photo radar flash isn't worth the $350 dollars. But the "Plastic thingies" sounds like a good idea and a cheaper alternative. Can someone please tell me where I can buy one? Thank you for your help.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by cup0spam
Here in Arizona we not only have red light cameras, but we also have mounted speed cameras, which dont use radar or laser, they simply place sensors in the road which measure your speed. Mind you that some of these traffic cameras aren't even in intersections, sneaky bastards.

My roommate bought a can of this spray gloss stuff, which a lot of people swear by. It's supposed to act as a reflector when any flash actually does occur. Does it work? I'm not sure, I don't speed through those intersections, but it sure as hell didn't hurt to spray my plate with it...
Awhile back someone on this forum sprayed his plates with that stuff and then took pics of his car. He concluded the spray stuff did NOT work.

As far as the plastic covers go, in California, it's illegal to place anything over your license plate, even if it's a clear plastic cover.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah...It is Illegal to put any plastic cover over the plates. The spray doesnt work for ****. So...Cali people are asked out...hehehe

Old 10-07-2005, 12:53 AM
What do you think of the following Link? I'm thinking about buying it and trying it out. Hopefully it will work.

http://www.specterguard.com/supersg.htm

Old 10-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Sedan
Looks like crap. And like it was stated before, it's illegal to cover your license plate with anything in CA.

What are you so worried about anyway? Do you make it a habit to run red lights?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Photo Radar 'installation help'