Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DLS Iridium 6.2's.. any input?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DLS Iridium 6.2's.. any input?

Thinking about going with a set of these for $485 plus installation (debating whether or not I should do this myself) at Street Effects in Jersey.. anyone ever hear these before or have any opinions on them?

Any recommendations for a good 2 channel amp to run these bad boys with? Would a JL 300/2 be sufficient? Or any other recomendations for different or higher powered amps, as well as any input on other sets of components to go with are appreciated as well.

Looking to hear from duderino, I sent you a PM a while ago I'm not sure if you got it.

Also, for rear fill I was thinking about going with some cheaper components for the rears, maybe something like Polk DB650 or 6500's. Would I be able to get away with some decent power and sound quality from running just these in the rear off the stock Bose amplifier? Or is that garbage like the rest of the system, and should I go with a new amp for those as well.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-17-2005, 10:14 PM
The price is definately a low one. I cant say that I would see myself doing that price.

Personally I would do a 4 channel if your going to run rear fill. A bit more tuning capabilities, as well as 4Ohm speakers not working to well with Bose. Your budget would somewhat set what amp would work with your setup. Im personally not a fan of JL.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone getting Iridiums for the fronts and then buying rear fill too should be ashamed.

No reason to step up that high on the fronts if you're just going to eff it up, man.

I like Ron and have worked with him before on other forums. I wouldnt sell you Iridiums for that price either... so I'd jump on it before Ron's brother figured out he screwed up.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks. The price of a 4 channel amp does bring the price up quite a bit, and would I probably be better off going with higher watts for 4 channels instead of just 2, or is that not the case? (for example, to use JL amps because most are familiar with them) If I ran a 4 channel amp, should a 300/4 be good enough, or should I go for a 450/4? instead? Then arises the problem if I decide that I dont want the rear fill, then I am stuck with a 4 channel amp when I could have gotten away with a 2

The components are already a bit over what I initially wanted to spend, but the price seemed really good so I am considering it more and more now. If I decide I really cant spring for it, I think the UP6 components will be my second choice. (Or are there any other steps below the Iridiums?) Can anyone comment on how much of a difference there is, in terms of being worth an extra $200 for an already strapped budget looking for some impressive speakers at a good price. If its really worth it, I'm without a doubt willing to spend it.

The price actually wasnt from Street Effects. It was from a guy from a dealer who gave me that price after helping me out on the Sounddomain forums.. I'm hoping its legit, so i'm still looking into it. I'd probably be positive that I'd go there for my install, since they seemed to be one of the only places around here that actually knows what they are doing, and that was even familiar with equipment like DLS, its only about 15-20 minutes away, and they commented on being familiar with G35s as well which is a plus.

BTW: If he needs any advice on the install such as things like the HU integration, should he know what to do? If not, should I just ask him to get in touch with you?

Thanks

Last edited by heeb; 10-17-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, if he went with that high end in the front....is he just better off disconnecting the rears altogether? Or would the sound be strange?

Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
Thanks. The price of a 4 channel amp does bring the price up quite a bit, and would I probably be better off going with higher watts for 4 channels instead of just 2, or is that not the case? (for example, to use JL amps because most are familiar with them) If I ran a 4 channel amp, should a 300/4 be good enough, or should I go for a 450/4? instead? Then arises the problem if I decide that I dont want the rear fill, then I am stuck with a 4 channel amp when I could have gotten away with a 2
Like posted above, you shouldnt need rear fill at all. Although ome people are all for and thats what they what. There technically isnt a right/wrong to it. Just personal preference. If you do decide to go with it, and 300/4 would be fine. Although theres definately others I would consider when running something like Iriiums.

The components are already a bit over what I initially wanted to spend, but the price seemed really good so I am considering it more and more now. If I decide I really cant spring for it, I think the UP6 components will be my second choice. (Or are there any other steps below the Iridiums?) Can anyone comment on how much of a difference there is, in terms of being worth an extra $200 for an already strapped budget looking for some impressive speakers at a good price. If its really worth it, I'm without a doubt willing to spend it.

I firmly believe in spending money once. If its a bit out of your budget, but you can swing some time soon, then I would do that. Its always better than regretting it later.

The price actually wasnt from Street Effects. It was from a guy from a dealer who gave me that price after helping me out on the Sounddomain forums.. I'm hoping its legit, so i'm still looking into it. I'd probably be positive that I'd go there for my install
Theres an easy where to verify if theyre and authorized seller of the product, either using the dealer locator or by calling. Its alot of money to risk, so I would verify it.

since they seemed to be one of the only places around here that actually knows what they are doing, and that was even familiar with equipment like DLS,.
OUCH.

BTW: If he needs any advice on the install such as things like the HU integration, should he know what to do? If not, should I just ask him to get in touch with you?
Im sure they can handle it just fine, but in either event were here to help.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Pearl, I'd rethink your sig: )

Rear speakers are a commie plot against our american way of life.

But since it IS america, you can have them if you want.

But if you want SQ instead of what you grew up being comfortable with in he backseat of Dad's car, leave rear speakers out completely.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
Pearl, I'd rethink your sig: )

Rear speakers are a commie plot against our american way of life.

But since it IS america, you can have them if you want.

But if you want SQ instead of what you grew up being comfortable with in he backseat of Dad's car, leave rear speakers out completely.

Theres no rear speakers in my car. Im not sure what your seeing....

Old 10-18-2005, 10:46 AM
I was making two separate ref's.

1) Maybe people need to more clearly see what you do...

2) Responding to other poster's question about R speakers.

Didn't mean that they should look associated, sorry...