Another question about brakes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another question about brakes.

So I need to replace my brembo brakes on my 03 G35 coupe. The cheapest dealer quote I got was $390 for the front and $314 for the rears. That includes new pads and resurfacing the rotors.

Obviously, I am trying to do the job for a lesser price, so I'm thinking about getting the pads myself and finding a shop or something (Nissan dealership?) to install them and resurface the rotors.

1. Where (online or whatever) can I buy the pads that will fit my 03 G35 BREMBOS for the best price--and what IS a good price for these?
2. What is a reasonable/good price a shop would charge for the labor of installing the pads and resurfacing the rotors?

Do I need to bleed my brake lines or flush my brake fluid at the same time (and are these the same thing?)

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Seriously, go to mynismo.com or performancenissanparts.com and order the pads, take your rotors to PepBoys and pay $10 a rotor to get them resurfaced (I never do this, but you asked) go home and put the rotors back on along with the new pads. Pads should cost you maybe $300 for the nismo ones, $40 to resurface.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 PM
i don't really wanna do any of it myself, i don't feel comfortable... how much is reasonable for a shop to charge for installing pads and resurfacing rotors-- for fronts, for rears, and for both? thanks!

Old 06-21-2006, 11:40 PM
What's not to feel comfortable with? It's an amazingly simple job. But if you really want to take it somewhere and have it done, I couldn't help you with that, as I've never paid someone else to do a brake job. But just keep in mind it would cost you about $340 to do it yourself. So Infiniti wanted to charge you $350+ in labor.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
http://mynismo.com/categories/?id=2311 all my pads options

1. which are the best pads on there
2. which are the best pad VALUE on there, given that i don't race or track my car, but still want good pad life, good stopping power, low brake dust, etc.

thanks!

Old 06-22-2006, 06:02 AM
bump!! =)

Old 06-22-2006, 03:58 PM
I've heard good things about the Hawk pads, seen good things with the nismo r-tune pads. The stock pads dust like crazy, and the r-tunes would solve that problem really well. I've never tried the Hawk pads so I can't say much about them, all of them should create less dust than stock though. In general Ceramic is a low dust, non-high performance pad, and full metal pads are high dust, high performance.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I have hawk pad, I dont track/race the car and drive it during winter time

I really like those pads, real deal $$$ vs the brembos pads, vitually NO brake dust, didint really see any difference on daily usage, from winter to summer temperature. I MAY lost a bit of the initial bite but definatly not a security issue.

Some people talk about brake noise with hawk pads but everything is under control on my side. Just apply some "brake quiet" stuff on the back of the pads.

Please, search a bit this topic has been beaten to death many times

Old 06-22-2006, 04:23 PM
im curious about doing it myself since i too feel like replacing my 03 brembo brakes, they're startin to feel a bit heavy when stopping. Im a complete idiot to DIY on a car so if i had instructions and the right tools would it be easy??

Old 06-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I'll bet if you checked the brakes forum there would be plenty of info on this and you wouldnt have to "bump" your thread after only 6 hours.

Ive got the project mu pads and Ive been pretty happy with them. good performance, no dust, no squeaking.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:34 PM
slz
I bought my pads (the Brembo OEMs) from everythingg35.com. Looks like I spent a little more (have to keep mynismo in mind for next time) but I did have the pads 2-3 days after ordering. So I'm satisfied.

Did the replacement myself. But if you are looking to outsource the job you might ask Sears if they'll do the job with customer-supplied (i.e., your) parts. They do lots of brakes.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Changing out pads and rotors is the easiest DIY. But like anything else, to make the job easier make sure you have the right tools.

One of the best sources for brakes pads is http://www.cobaltfriction.com/

Call and ask for Andie. He will spend time with you discussing which application is the best for your needs. Tell him "Doc" recommended you.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 PM
brake replacement is pretty straight forward to be honest.

My honest recomendation- replace the rotors while your at it. They have a very small service limit and sometimes they cant be cut or places will do it without checking the service limit. Gee-wiz is right about having the right tools. if i can remember you will need the following(maybe more) 19mm socket, 14 socket, 12 socket, needle nose pliers, flat head screw driver or brake caliper press, rubber mallet(in case the rotor needs some persuasion to come off).
Thats the easy part, proper burnishing technique is key for your brakes life. Our brembo's are somewhat of a bitch when it comes to getting them to set right after replacement. if you do it yourself follow the DIY on here or get a Service manual (my bible).

Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by CalRSX07
So I need to replace my brembo brakes on my 03 G35 coupe. The cheapest dealer quote I got was $390 for the front and $314 for the rears. That includes new pads and resurfacing the rotors.

Obviously, I am trying to do the job for a lesser price, so I'm thinking about getting the pads myself and finding a shop or something (Nissan dealership?) to install them and resurface the rotors.

1. Where (online or whatever) can I buy the pads that will fit my 03 G35 BREMBOS for the best price--and what IS a good price for these?
2. What is a reasonable/good price a shop would charge for the labor of installing the pads and resurfacing the rotors?

Do I need to bleed my brake lines or flush my brake fluid at the same time (and are these the same thing?)

Thanks for your help!

Ok try using the site sponsors. They have the nismo R sets for like 150 and 109 or something close to that. Also you only need to flush the system if you are changing (meaning going with a totally different company or DOT fluid). Yes, you will need to bleed the system when you change the pads, because you have to relieve the pistons in the calipers. I would do the job myself if I were you. It's not difficult once you get the hang of bleeding the system.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
yes you want to save money but brakes are something i rather spend a few extra bucks on b/c it will be costly if you go cheap on them in the long run

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another question about brakes.