First self brake maintenance. Change rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First self brake maintenance. Change rotors?

Well I've never change pads before, let alone rotors. Based on all of the how-tos I've read on this site, I think I can take care of it without any problems...

A few weeks ago, I hopped in the car on the way home from work and I noticed that my brakes were squeeking. Almost sounds like a rock stuck between the pad and rotor, but I have a feeling its the warning pads telling me that the pads are low. I had the pads checked at the beginning of the summer, they were supposedly pretty good, but I havent been able to look at the inside pad in the front or back at all...

SO, after hearing that squeeking noise, I ordered some well researched Project Mu NS pads (front and rear). How do I tell if the pads need changing? Also, how do I tell if the rotors need to be resurfaced or even changed? Is it visible wear (or wear that I can feel by touch)? The brake pedal does not pulse or anything when applying the brakes, so I don't think they're warped at all...

My car has 43,000 miles on it, so I'm guessing this is the 2nd set of pads on the car... How low do the pads get (by visibly or even measuring) before they need changing? I know the pad thickness when new is around 1/4 of an inch thick.

Thanks for all of the help! I'm looking forward to doing all of this myself considering how much the stealerships charge! I don't want to shell out the extra cash for rotors, however I really wouldn't mind getting some slotted Brembo rotors!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
DIY section + search for "brake" resulted in this in about 10 seconds: this probably answers 85% of your questions. The rest regarding pad wear and rotor thickness are covered in the service manual you should have

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=brake

Old 11-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
DIY section + search for "brake" resulted in this in about 10 seconds: this probably answers 85% of your questions. The rest regarding pad wear and rotor thickness are covered in the service manual you should have

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=brake
I sincerely appreciate the reply and the link. The DIY Section is great, I've read over that link already. I'm unsure if the brake pad/rotor change is different than what is described in that link, however I KNOW there are other how-tos geared toward those with the brembos (basically, I'm hoping I've found all of the how-to's I need). Not to cause trouble, but I hate the 'quit being lazy and search' replies. Based on the fact that half of the threads I read, someone has to throw that comment out there - searching is always my first approach. I already stated that I can probably handle the changing of pads and rotors...

My questions revolve around the noises I'm hearing, mileage of my car, and if these are signs that I am probably due for a brake pad, and possibly rotor change. I havent looked but I would guess that rotor tolerances are in the manual. However if the tolerances are fine, I am asking what I can look for to determine if the rotors are scored or worn inconsistently to the point where replacement is the best (or only) option.

When I mentioned the pad thickness, I am asking because I read that the inside pads can wear faster than the outside pads... but this is one thing I have not been able to get a look at (as I do not have a mirror small enough, and have not taken the wheels off to get a closer look).

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by Jellysick; 11-09-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Red Card Crew

Did you say brembos? I came across this site and have it bookmarked for future reference. I suggest the same:
http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=31

Old 11-09-2006, 05:18 PM
LOL yep, I've already got it bookmarked! Again, my questions are more based on 'when' to change stuff, and how to determine wear!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Red Card Crew

IMHO:

Pads = 1/8" or so.

Rotors = Again, the service manual should have published thickness measurements. Or dig around and search the site. Yeah I said it! hehe.

Originally Posted by Jellysick
LOL yep, I've already got it bookmarked! Again, my questions are more based on 'when' to change stuff, and how to determine wear!

Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM
OEM pads usually have "wear indicators", which are metal clips that drag against the rotors to "squeek" when pads are in need of a change (around 1/8" or so like Jeff92se said above). Best way is to go ahead and take the wheels off and look...you can turn your wheels all the way one way or the other to make it easier to see the inner pads once the wheel is off.

Rotors I think are a little less obvious in terms of "when" to replace them. Some people turn (machine) their rotors everytime they change pads; I've read that Brembo rotors on our cars should only be turned once. You can also have your rotors checked by a shop to determine if they are still within tolerance for run-out (I think that's the term, could be wrong).

BTW I have the Project Mu NS pads, been on for about 2 months, and I love them. Good choice IMHO.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:12 PM
I think its the wear indicators that are squeeling. I couldn't think of the correct term in my original post...

Is it worth while in relacing the front pads, and leaving the rear? Front using Project Mu, rears using OEM? Other than the break dust, I guess theres no diff...?

Old 11-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My own experience...

At 40,000 miles my original pads needed to be replaced. I checked rotor wear at that point and found that the rotors were worn through right about 1/2 of their wear tolerance, so I figured that I would just replace the pads and not do anything with the rotors. I didn't turn the rotors and as soon as the new pads bedded in they were absolutely fine. This worked fine for 20,000 miles.

Now I am at 60,000 miles and the pads still have some life left in them, but the front rotors feel like they are completely shot. When I get them off I expect to find them worn well past tolerance and possibly cracked as well. I have not mic'd them, I'm going on feel and have new replacement rotors on order.

In retrospect I'd probably do the same thing, but you might want to consider going on and putting new rotors on the car. If you machine/turn the current rotors they will last even less.

Has anyone run the OE rotors past 60,000 miles?

Old 11-11-2006, 09:37 PM
G SQUAD
Damn 40k on original brakes??? I m at 23k and I hope I can get that much outta my first set...that would be great!

-Vin

Old 11-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by VinNYCG
Damn 40k on original brakes??? I m at 23k and I hope I can get that much outta my first set...that would be great!

-Vin
Yup. Pads were in pretty bad shape by then, but we made it!

Old 11-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Well do you guys think I should go ahead and just bite the bullet and get new rotors as well? It'll be about $650 extra to replace rotors. I'd be getting the slotted Brembos that are for sale by vendors on this forum... I'd rather not face the problem of rotors wearing out down the road before my pads are worn out...

Any other input? Thanks to those who have chimed in, I appreciate it!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Well do you guys think I should go ahead and just bite the bullet and get new rotors as well? It'll be about $650 extra to replace rotors. I'd be getting the slotted Brembos that are for sale by vendors on this forum... I'd rather not face the problem of rotors wearing out down the road before my pads are worn out...

That's really steep for rotors unless you have the factory brembos. I'd definitely look up the minimum wear spec and check your current rotors before dropping that kind of change. Are you having any vibration through the brakes or anything like that?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dudefish
That's really steep for rotors unless you have the factory brembos. I'd definitely look up the minimum wear spec and check your current rotors before dropping that kind of change. Are you having any vibration through the brakes or anything like that?
I do have factory brembos. No vibration through the brake pedal, thats why I'm thinking they aren't warped. I dont know how much is left for the wear though. Micrometers that measure to .00028" are Expensive! I think thats the tolerance for the factory rotors!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 PM

Is that for all 4 rotors or just the fronts? When I was looking a while ago I saw Brembo slotted rotors for $330 per pair from importrp.com. Stop Tech slotted rotors are about $150 (for the OEM Brembo replacement rotors) each from what I remember. Most of the forum sponsor vendors will give you better prices than they advertise to the public if you PM them or call them. I guess it just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend at this point, and how comfortable you are (or aren't) with the condition of your current rotors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First self brake maintenance. Change rotors?