im lowering over an inch, do i need a toe kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GThIrtYFiZle
My car is dropped on 350 Z H Techs. I was not able to get the rears nor the fronts back into spec so I bought the spc rear camber kit. The fronts were one side -1.4 and the other like -1.9, toe and caster was fine. What my alignment fuy did was bend my rear left camber arm a bit in order to try to get the camber back into spec and ever since the car has some funny feelings when going over uneven areas on the highway. Can this be cuz of the bent arm? I am replacing it anyway, but just wondering, and toe was not great either.

He bent the SPC arm?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by GThIrtYFiZle
By the way, I know the front right might have some uneven wear on the left side, but i am OK with that. Can the front settings also affect handling at the point where I can feel it or not?
Yes..it's called steering ;-)

Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Kensi
so in all.. if i just get the lowering springs i will need to also get the SPC Front Camber/Caster Arms kit? is that all i need?
Put it this way - again -

Lower the car - buy camber kits front and rear for the obvious reasons. Don't buy them, have your alignment guy just set the toe and let it go...see what you like or not. You can always put them on later...until you know how far out it is...you wont know exactly what you'll need.

Rick

Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
youll need front and rear cambers along with the springs granted that your lowering it over an inch

(most will say you sont need cambers if an inch or less)

Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Rphillips6487
youll need front and rear cambers along with the springs granted that your lowering it over an inch

(most will say you sont need cambers if an inch or less)
Technically - you'll need the cambers no matter how much you lower it..actually, the way our cars are setup factory, you need them whether you lower the car or not - as they are too much negative cambered for a factory setting and promote premature tire wear.

Whether you actually put them on or not, is a personal choice, but from my other posts, you'll sacrifice several things - handling, steering acuteness, tire wear, etc.

Rick

Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
not saying that toe does not require adjustment, just that altering it without knowing what you are doing (for the sake of quicker cornering) is not a good idea.

altering caster may make your car very unstable at highway speeds. is this not so? <all i way implying on my original post.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:55 PM
OK - go here - questions should stop now:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Rick

Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think were going to get a lot of

NEW SPRINGS JUST ISNTALLED *PICS* threads here shortly lol.

Just ordered some H techs

I'm just going to get an alighnment-- Japtrix said should be fine with that set up.

with 175 in labor I hope im not making a mistake =\

Thanks for everyone post!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
I think were going to get a lot of

NEW SPRINGS JUST ISNTALLED *PICS* threads here shortly lol.

Just ordered some H techs

I'm just going to get an alighnment-- Japtrix said should be fine with that set up.

with 175 in labor I hope im not making a mistake =\

Thanks for everyone post!
You'll like the H-techs - when I was testing them, I never did any adjustment other than toe and everything was fine...Rick

Old 02-15-2007, 12:12 AM
G&Z
alright, ive decided to get the cambers for front and back also the toe kit. my ultimate goal is to lower it but keep all factory specs... toe, caster, allignment ect. i think they did a great job developing the stock suspension. does anyone know why the stillen setup is sooooo so much more expensive than spc? I want the best for my car and price is no option...

Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by G&Z
alright, ive decided to get the cambers for front and back also the toe kit. my ultimate goal is to lower it but keep all factory specs... toe, caster, allignment ect. i think they did a great job developing the stock suspension. does anyone know why the stillen setup is sooooo so much more expensive than spc? I want the best for my car and price is no option...
They cost more because of the S and the T and the I and the two L's followed by the EN

I think it cost Steve extra to have it italicized too..

Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The stillen rear costs more because the camber arms uses a spherical bearing setup rather than bushings which are more expensive, which technically should make the suspension slightly tighter, and uses "toe" arms rather than toe bolts, which also cost more, but is the wrong way to go about adjusting camber. The SPC/Eibach kit is the way to go for the rear, cheapest and only correct way to adjust toe

Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by redlude97
The stillen rear costs more because the camber arms uses a spherical bearing setup rather than bushings which are more expensive, which technically should make the suspension slightly tighter, and uses "toe" arms rather than toe bolts, which also cost more, but is the wrong way to go about adjusting camber. The SPC/Eibach kit is the way to go for the rear, cheapest and only correct way to adjust toe
funny - pay more for the wrong way...

Old 02-15-2007, 05:17 PM
ISMSOLUTIONS, no he didnt bemd the spc arms he bent the stock camber arms. The reason why he did this was becasue the right tire had more negative camber then the left. The left was within spen but the right was not at -2.1. So what he did was bend the stock arm a bit so that it could pull the wheel in from the bottom therefore giving it some more positive camber, but I dont think this was a great idea, since the car does not drive the way its supposed to. Wne I go over uneven areas on the highway the car seems to pull too much. What can this be? The spc rear camber kit is going on tomorrow. The front I will leave alone.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm having -1.6 camber in the rear, is that gonna wear out my tires real quick ? Toes is at nominal specs at 0.11.

Car is only lowered 5mm in the rear(yeah almost nothing) cause that's the highest the HKS RS can go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: im lowering over an inch, do i need a toe kit?