Stillen Sways Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Sways Installed

Just installed the sways with the poly bushings over the weekend on the sedan. Took me about an hour and a half to do it on ramps. I must say there is a big improvement in the handling of the car. Body roll has been greatly reduced. I have them set on soft front and med rear and I love it. With the z susp and the sways the ride feels very tight.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats But just a little advice from the side line...The way you have it setup, you are promoting "Understeer". You should have the medium in the front and the soft in rear. Or stiff in the front and medium in rear.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
+1 you want your back to come out (over steer) so if you do f-up you'll spin out instead of into something.. its also easyer to control the back end coming out then your front giving out

I'm running med med right now.. with basics and a wacky alignment job

Old 07-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
actually understeer is easier to deal with, which is why almost all cars come from the factory with some understeer built into the suspension setup.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 PM
XKR
Originally Posted by redlude97
actually understeer is easier to deal with, which is why almost all cars come from the factory with some understeer built into the suspension setup.
You are also correct BUT the stock parts are not as stiff as the Stillen system, and if it is setup incorrectly, it will not be as forgiven. Just passing on a little experence I had with that system

Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by XKR
You are also correct BUT the stock parts are not as stiff as the Stillen system, and if it is setup incorrectly, it will not be as forgiven. Just passing on a little experence I had with that system
Yes, I was just counteracting Klumzyee's remark that oversteer(spinning) is easier to control than understeer. With understeer, you can regain control by braking, with oversteer(spinning) you are pretty much screwed and will have no control unless you know what you are doing, which 99% of the population doesn't

Old 07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
XKR
Yes, I was just counteracting Klumzyee's remark that oversteer(spinning) is easier to control than understeer. With understeer, you can regain control by braking, with oversteer(spinning) you are pretty much screwed and will have no control unless you know what you are doing, which 99% of the population doesn't
I some what agree with you and Klumzyee...I am speaking for me only, I would rather oversteer, because I can control the car with either the gas pedal and brake to gain control, but with understeer all you have is the brake.
Thats just from my experience.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
So the suggestion would be to set it up med, med? I drove it a little harder on turns today and the front feels a little loose so I might change it to medium instead of soft. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Yes, medium medium will give you a more neutral steering/slight oversteer compared to stock

Old 07-02-2007, 05:44 PM
XKR
Originally Posted by cooldog45
So the suggestion would be to set it up med, med? I drove it a little harder on turns today and the front feels a little loose so I might change it to medium instead of soft. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
I dont recommend that. Go softer in the rear. Going harder in front will tighten it up. Let me know what happens. Good luck

Old 07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
XKR
Yes, medium medium will give you a more neutral steering/slight oversteer compared to stock
Redlude may be right also. Everyone is different. But never go softer in front than the rear

Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 PM
thats the beauty of adjustable sways, you can change and adjust them to the settings that YOU like, I agree that they should be setup with equal or stiffer in the front though, with IMO equal providing the most balanced feel. Some people like the feel of oversteer though so will setup their suspension likewise. Springrates and tire sizes will also play a roll in the right setup for your personal car. Using the same sized tire front and rear will decrease understeer so a soft F/med R setup may balance out better than a med/med setup, while a much larger tire in the rear such as a 245F/285R setup will require a med F/stiff R setup to limit the understeer. Keep adjusting until you find the right balance that YOU like

Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by XKR
I some what agree with you and Klumzyee...I am speaking for me only, I would rather oversteer, because I can control the car with either the gas pedal and brake to gain control, but with understeer all you have is the brake.
Thats just from my experience.
Did I understand correctly:
While cornering, events ahead in front of you are forcing you to slow down, so you lift, causing the oversteer and then you brake?
Or you oversteer and then you lift to brake?

Are you drifter? Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm going to try to set it up med med and if I dont like that I will try to go med soft. I have 245/40/19 all around. The way I have it setup is fine for now I'll play areound with it to see what setting I like.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM
XKR
[QUOTE=dovla]Did I understand correctly:
While cornering, events ahead in front of you are forcing you to slow down, so you lift, causing the oversteer and then you brake?
Or you oversteer and then you lift to brake?

Are you drifter? Thanks[/QUOTE

First off I am not a Drifter and I dont like drifting.

Remember..I am speaking about me only Anyone that has had some kind of driver training from novice to pro will set their car up for more oversteer than understeer. What I am saying is, with Understeer at high speed aproaching or in the middle of a corner, if you break loose, all you can do is slam on the brakes and pray for the best. With Oversteer, you have 3 choices...you can steer with the steering wheel, Gas pedal, or brakes..and also 3 at one time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Sways Installed