Picked up G35 - e-brake not working on slanted driveway!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Picked up G35 - e-brake not working on slanted driveway!!

Hi all... I did a search for any e-brake issues relating to mine but not were available so thus my post.

I just picked up my 2004 G35 coupe on Tuesday night from the dealership and when I got home, i tried to park it in my driveway which slopes downward about a 45-50 degree angle. Problem is that when I pulled my E-brake, the car kept sliding forward still. I thought maybe I didn't pull the E-brake high enough so I did just that only to find out my car was still slowly rolling forward within a few feet of slamming into my garage door.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I understand this car is a bit heavy as my previous car was a Honda S2000 and the e-brake worked just fine but I don't think this should be an issue because we have an Acura MDX and it stays put with it's own e-brake. My dealer told me that it might be related to the new rotors and brembro brake pads he put in and having to recalibrate the e-brake???

If anyone can chime in, please do so. Much appreciated in advance.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicjai
Hi all... I did a search for any e-brake issues relating to mine but not were available so thus my post.

I just picked up my 2004 G35 coupe on Tuesday night from the dealership and when I got home, i tried to park it in my driveway which slopes downward about a 45-50 degree angle. Problem is that when I pulled my E-brake, the car kept sliding forward still. I thought maybe I didn't pull the E-brake high enough so I did just that only to find out my car was still slowly rolling forward within a few feet of slamming into my garage door.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I understand this car is a bit heavy as my previous car was a Honda S2000 and the e-brake worked just fine but I don't think this should be an issue because we have an Acura MDX and it stays put with it's own e-brake. My dealer told me that it might be related to the new rotors and brembro brake pads he put in and having to recalibrate the e-brake???

If anyone can chime in, please do so. Much appreciated in advance.

The ebrakes on our cars suck, you have to bitch to the dealership to adjust it for you, so the locking threshold isnt as large of a stretch. I myself find myself yanking the hell out of the ebrake to get it to lock up, it wasnt that way when the car was brand new, it loosened up over time. Also, on a downward decline, put your car in reverse as well as with the ebrake up, that way, if the ebrake fails, the reverse gear will hold your car in place and wont roll downward. My pops taught me that when I first started driving stick, and the same goes for a hill, you put the car in 1st, for preventing the car from rolling backwards. It should only be used as a precaution along with the ebrake, as it does put a tiny bit of strain on the transmission. Good luck homie

Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
How much strain is put on the transmission when you put it in reverse for this case?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Not much, its not anything serious, its just like the "P" in automatic transmissions. If you park an automatic car on a hill or downward slope, it is always suggested you engage the either "foot e-brake" or handle e-brake, just as a safety precaution. Its not going to shred your reverse gear or anything, its just for a piece of mind I'd suggest getting your e-brake adjusted by the dealer as soon as it is possible for you to do so.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the tip chilibowl!

Here's the funny thing. I actually told my dealer about this Tuesday night when I got home and he said just drive it over on Thursday night after work. That sounded fine to me but I called the dealership today just to make an appointment just in case and the service desk said our last appt is at 3pm today! Wth man?! I can't skip out work early for this so I left my dealer a msg on his phone and he better make them fix it tonight or at least take it in and have it ready by tomorrow night.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Just have them tighten the e-brake cable. If that doesn't fix it, then have them check the e-brake drum assembly.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
got it serviced this morning at the dealership. e-brake is working just fine now.

thanks everyone!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM
#1- on any car e-brake getting loose after a while.need to adjust it when time comes.
#2- do you know what's 45 degree angle is? that exactly half way between horizontal and vertical.i really don't think there is any driveway that stiff.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by TINMAN
#1- on any car e-brake getting loose after a while.need to adjust it when time comes.
#2- do you know what's 45 degree angle is? that exactly half way between horizontal and vertical.i really don't think there is any driveway that stiff.
No, there are definitely driveways that steep.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by TINMAN
umm yes thanks for clarifying that... i think i know simple geometry too... but to be honest it might not be 45 degrees exactly but this is pretty steep driveway.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:31 PM
hehe...call me a non-believer.i guess i just never seen one in my life
how much troube for you to take a pic of your car park on the driveway with the house in the background? if you want you can lust forget what i said

Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can barely park my car on hills anymore cause of it. Ebrake don't hold at all. To adjust it, its just a matter of turning the nut the e-brake is attached too? Nothing else involved with cables underneath?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:23 PM
yea man im starting to realize this car is not cool parking on hills as the e-brake is terrible....

Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Not to steal your thread but I wanted to know if dealers will fix the e-brake under warranty? My e-brake works but I have to pull it really high.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not just leave it in gear with the ebrake engaged? Thats what I do...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picked up G35 - e-brake not working on slanted driveway!!