G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much should labor be?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
labor at infiniti is usually in the high 90s, low 100s per hour. On another note, it's been getting colder in FL the past few weeks, and I've been hearing the clunking/squeeking from the front drivers side more often. After taking the wheel off, is there visual way to inspect the bushing before I take it to the dealer without taking the suspension apart out? I want to be 100% certain this is the problem so they can't give me the "Unable to replicate customer problem, no action required" bs. Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Whenever I get in or out of my car, I sometimes get a creaking noise (from the extra load of my weight).

Is this also related to the compression rods? The noise happens from time to time, again, only when I enter or exit the vehicle. I had it on my stock sport suspension and I heard it again on my aftermarket suspension, which makes me conclude it has nothing to do with the suspension itself.

I should have taken it to the dealer before installing the suspension to avoid any bs from dealers

I have an 06 Coupe 6MT with 23k miles.

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 11-11-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Whenever I get in or out of my car, I sometimes get a creaking noise (from the extra load of my weight).

Is this also related to the compression rods? The noise happens from time to time, again, only when I enter or exit the vehicle.
My guess is no, it's not related to the compression rods. In my experience, the compression rods only squeak under a narrow set of circumstances, involving the car in motion at relatively low speeds, and when going over low level bumps or uneven road surfaces. Your problem might be related to plain ol' springs.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist

Is this also related to the compression rods? The noise happens from time to time, again, only when I enter or exit the vehicle. I had it on my stock sport suspension and I heard it again on my aftermarket suspension, which makes me conclude it has nothing to do with the suspension itself.

I should have taken it to the dealer before installing the suspension to avoid any bs from dealers

I have an 06 Coupe 6MT with 23k miles.
it's the rear endlinks, especially apparent the wheels aren't leveled. example, driving into an inclined rd or speed bump.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nismog35driver
it's the rear endlinks, especially apparent the wheels aren't leveled. example, driving into an inclined rd or speed bump.
My car has never made any strange noises while driving, except for a somewhat loud thump while going over a bad patch of rough road at somewhat high speeds.

It only makes this creaking noise once in a while, as I exit or enter the stationary car.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by nismog35driver
Are the endlinks an easy DIY? I always thought I had a compression rod issue, but based on what you're saying, my problems are with the endlinks or something else in the rear. The noise is always in the rear and is noticeable when getting in and out of the car and is horrible sounding when the rear is on an uneven surface (eg, driving up a curb). Are the endlinks known to go bad as like the compression rods? I have 80k on my sedan and it's been doing this for the past 30k miles or so.

Last edited by ajg35; 11-24-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I originally started this thread over a year ago. My car is completely stock. I have lived with the creaking from my front end on and off since my car hit 20,000 miles. I now have 30,000 and the creaking comes and goes sporadically while going over bumpy services. I have an extended Infiniti Elite warranty and was wondering if anyone has any real success eliminating this problem with compression rod or bushing replacements? If replacement only resolves the problem temporaily, I'm not going to waste my time. Thanks all.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i guess this is the problem i have too. the front driver side is making grinding/clicking/vibration/noise what ever you may name, for the last week. im gonna bring it to the dealership and hope they cover it because im not looking to pay 1000.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Is it necessary to use the separate cone shaped bushing with the new, revised compression rods?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhosRich
i guess this is the problem i have too. the front driver side is making grinding/clicking/vibration/noise what ever you may name, for the last week. im gonna bring it to the dealership and hope they cover it because im not looking to pay 1000.
Let me kno wat dealer u goin to and wat the result was, same issue here i think we spoke about on the nyc forum...

Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Compression rods and Brakes

I have a 2003 G35 sedan and have been getting a clunking and/or rubbing of rubber in my front end for a while now. It is more apparent in cool weather and my noise generally disappeared when the car is warm. My dealer has diagnosed it as the compression rods, indicating there were cracks. They want $526 to replace the bushings and reinstall the old rods or $968 to install new links. He indicated the replacement bushings cost just under $30. I decided on the lower cost option. Both fixes seem expensive if the removal can be done in under an hour. Let's see if it fixes the problem. Any insight into getting Infiniti to warranty this would be appreciated.

I have also had the same rapid brake wear (pads and rotors) that most G35's have. I've lost count of the pads and I believe I am installing my 3rd set of front rotors at 60,000 miles. The dealer now indicates that Infiniti is on its 4th different brake pad and the rotors are now harder as well. Does anyone know if this will improve things?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
They want $526 to replace the bushings and reinstall the old rods or $968 to install new links.
Please post the part number for the new bushings!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 AM
The part # is 54570-AC70A. It was $29.77. There was one bushing needed for each side.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
damn it! I'm 4 months out of warranty and driver side compression rod is bad again! I knew I should of just tried to replace before Oct...

Anyone know where I can get bushing pressed in So Cal? It’s retarded to pay for the entire rod when it’s just the bushing that is bad.

Worse case I'll just buy the one side (even though I know the other side will eventually start clunking

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap