for those with gt-spec front tie bar....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with gt-spec front tie bar....

i've been considering the gt-spec front tie bar as a cheaper alternative to a strut tower brace. after seeing some pictures of it installed, i'm worried about difficulty draining the oil. for those who have one, how hard would it be to temporarily remove the bar to change the oil? thanks!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
You don't have to remove the bar to drain the oil. It just doesn't fit with most aftermarket pans, or any spacers.

Its not a replacement for a STB either. It helps, but a STB makes a world of difference on its own.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by helldorado
You don't have to remove the bar to drain the oil. It just doesn't fit with most aftermarket pans, or any spacers.

Its not a replacement for a STB either. It helps, but a STB makes a world of difference on its own.
Doesn't it make a mess if you drain the oil with the bar on?

I'd thought the tie bar and STB have the same function.....

Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I've had my bar on for over a year and never had a complaint from anybody who has done the oil change and I know they don't take it off.

Tie bar attaches where your lower control arms go. Its not doing nearly as much work as a STB does.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
It does get in the way of draining oil. Makes it a little more messy...

Old 07-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Get a fumoto valve with the nipple, and attach a hose to the drain so you won't make a mess

Old 07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
+1 on fumoto valve.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by bwassul
Doesn't it make a mess if you drain the oil with the bar on?

I'd thought the tie bar and STB have the same function.....
Where do you get your info?

Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
Where do you get your info?
The messy oil comment was from posts on this very board (i DID use the search funtion ).

The strut bar/tie bar comment was from a car buddy who works with me and had to do with the mechanical advantage the tie bar has since it's closer to the wheel. Then again, experience from people who actually have both on their cars is more important and so here I am....sounds like a strut bar is the way to go.

The fumoto is a good idea; I just hadn't thought one would fit with the tie bar.

Last edited by bwassul; 07-19-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:01 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have posted pics of my first oil change with the bar on. https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...t=87292&page=2
I have changed the oil several times since on my own. Yes, it is messier than without the bar, but I would rather have the bar. Nothing a couple of paper towels can't fix!

Last edited by cato; 07-20-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by bwassul
The messy oil comment was from posts on this very board (i DID use the search funtion ).

The strut bar/tie bar comment was from a car buddy who works with me and had to do with the mechanical advantage the tie bar has since it's closer to the wheel. Then again, experience from people who actually have both on their cars is more important and so here I am....sounds like a strut bar is the way to go.
I wasn't talking about the messy oil change...

Think about where the two different bars mount up. They work similarly, but do two completely different things. Think of it this way... the upper strut bar keeps the suspension from moving away from each other horizontally up top, while the front tie bar keeps the suspension from moving away from each other horizontally underneath by strengthening the chassis underneath. And the sway bar of course, keeps the suspension moving together vertically. But either one will help make your suspension a bit more responsive.

And to find a good front strut bar, if you're **** enough, you want something that connects to the chassis (or better yet, the firewall) as well as the struts. IMO, front strut bars are useless unless it's connected to the chassis or to get the same effect, you can get any strut bar and fender bars. But I don't think anyone makes them for the G.

And to anyone that wants to argue that the chassis is stiff enough... there is no such thing. For handling, the chassis can never be too stiff. The suspension can be too stiff, but not the chassis.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by cato
I have posted pics of my first oil change with the bar on. https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...t=87292&page=2
I have changed the oil several times since on my own. Yes, it is messier than without the bar, but I would rather have the bar. Nothing a couple of paper towels can't fix!
Are you still able to get a torque wrench to torque the drain plug on?

Thanks...

Old 07-23-2007, 04:04 PM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the dealer doesn't have a problem with oil changes on my car. i have the gt spec front tie bar. i may be getting a fumoto valve so they can stick it on after my next oil change.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:32 PM
You shouldn't need a torque wrench. You really don't need to tighten that drain plug too much.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never torqued the drain plug, thats just getting a little ****. 1/4 turn past hand tight is good enough for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: for those with gt-spec front tie bar....