Tire Rack Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Rack Experience

Recently, I nearly wrecked the G in some rain b/c my rears were BALD. Fortunately, I prevented disaster and crawled home at a snails pace with a little pee in my pants (j/k about the pee, kind of)

Anyway, needed to get some OEM rears (Potenza PE050A 245/40ZR19 94Y), checked tirerack.com and got a quote of $550 (shipping included), and thought, damn, that is pricey. Little did I know...went to Tires Plus and they wanted $380 per tire + installation!!!

Anyway, Tire Rack was awesome, I was able to ship my tires to my nearest NTB for installation and they have a pre-negotiated "price pledge" for installation $17.50 + $4.00 for TPMS Service (air pressure sensors) per tire, the lowest installation quote I had previously received was $35/tire.

I highly recommend "the Rack" for all your rubber needs (ok, not ALL your rubber needs, but you know what I mean).

Ground Beef

Old 08-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
So you can get tires shipped to a local dealer and get them installed?

How do they handle warranty and road hazard?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, tire rack is great. Good prices and prompt shipping. I get my tires shipped to my local NTB, and they give me road hazard and free balancing/rotation and they use a hand tool to torque/untorque the wheels. No impact wrenches.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Agreed. Even for Canadians, with shipping, customs and duties, Tirerack is still a good deal. I bought G35 Michelin Pilot Sport for my G and 2 sets of wheels + tires for my Civic 2006 SI (Winter car). I always got great service and the price was $100s cheaper than the best quote I got in Canada.

Highly recommended

Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
So you can get tires shipped to a local dealer and get them installed?

How do they handle warranty and road hazard?
Tire Rack doesn't have to handle warranty issues. They do offer warranty coverage, in case you have a failure, etc. and have to go to non tire authorized dealer. The warranty services/contracts are provided by national chains, so 95% of tire stores will be able to handle warranty services. If not, bills can be sent in for reimbursement.

Rick

Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I prefer using Discounttire.com. Both sites have competitive pricing and in the OP's instance, TR's $263 vs DT's $257. Unlike Tire Rack, Discount Tires owns and operates chains throughout the United States. (2) Tires, mounting & balancing, and lifetime tire balancing came out to $545.50 (before tax). There's always room to bargain if you call by phone or go in-store.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
LjN_728:

That's a pretty good deal, I wish I had known of discouttire.com I would have checked them out!!! Still, pretty happy with 'the rack'

Old 08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
For Canadians... I have had great experiences with www.1010Tires.com.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Tire rack is located in South Bend, IN. Well worth taking a little detour to go there if your in the area. Their warehouse is huge, and they do installations there also.
Only problem from them was the guy who put on my tires and rims was not aware of the front/rear tire size difference. He put the 225 on one side and the 245 on the other. I didn't realize this until I was 5 hours away heading back to Calgary.
It was a honest mistake so I never complained back to the tire rack, didn't want the kid who installed them to get sh*t.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Heymanisth
Tire rack is located in South Bend, IN. Well worth taking a little detour to go there if your in the area. Their warehouse is huge, and they do installations there also.
Only problem from them was the guy who put on my tires and rims was not aware of the front/rear tire size difference. He put the 225 on one side and the 245 on the other. I didn't realize this until I was 5 hours away heading back to Calgary.
It was a honest mistake so I never complained back to the tire rack, didn't want the kid who installed them to get sh*t.
So you didn't notice the car pulling to one side - for 5 hours?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:42 PM
yep. it didn't really pull the car over, more like drifted slowly. ALL cars will drift to the lower side of a highway, in the left lane I never noticed it, in the right lane it was much more noticeable and at times it was windy.

Also just because you car likes to pull to the east, it doesn't mean it needs an alignment.

Last edited by Heymanisth; 09-25-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 AM
yep. it didn't really pull the car over, more like drifted slowly. ALL cars will drift to the lower side of a highway, in the left lane I never noticed it, in the right lane it was much more noticeable and at times it was windy.

Also just because you car likes to pull to the east, it doesn't mean it needs an alignment.
I don't disagree with anything you have above...but having a tire that is a full inch+ shorter on one side of the car shoudl have pulled more than that...

That's all..

Rick

Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Rubber from the Tire Rack........?

I've used them for no less than 15 years and alway let people know how
informative they are and how good the service is. About a year ago my
wife had a blow out with one of those high dollar tires in her Vet so the
Tire Rack once again took care of me. Then a few months later I decided to
replace the other two and inquired locally at the Great American Tire Store.
They gave me the same price without having to pay shipping but I had to
pay the taxes.....so it was a toss up!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Agreed.
I was tired and in a hurry, windy, rainy, etc.

Next time I will check and not assume.

Last edited by Heymanisth; 09-26-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Agreed.
I was tired and in a hurry, windy, rainy, etc.

Next time I will check and not assume.
Hey - what side of the car were the smaller tires on? If it was the drivers side, you may not have been able to feel the pull either - the natural crown in the road to the right, would offset it a bit.

Rick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Rack Experience