Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors

Does anyone know how to change the front rotors? have a 2003 Sedan non-brembo. I am thinking of iRotors or do you guys suggest another brand? and what about pads too?

thanks my peoples.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Try searching first including reading the sticky at the top of this section.

Good luck

Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you have to removie the caliper 1st by removing two bolts then the rotor should come right off... irotors are gonna squeak after some use.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nghiars
you have to removie the caliper 1st by removing two bolts then the rotor should come right off... irotors are gonna squeak after some use.
do irotors really squeak after some use?
cuz i just bought some....

Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 AM
For some reason i don't think removing the caliper alone will enable him to take the rotor off. Remove the caliper, then there is a bolt on the rear side of the rotor. Good luck breaking it loose. I've tried 2 times and will give it one more valiant try before having the dealer replace all corners

Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 AM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sxexcx
+1, mine should be here soon.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JessNherG
For some reason i don't think removing the caliper alone will enable him to take the rotor off. Remove the caliper, then there is a bolt on the rear side of the rotor. Good luck breaking it loose. I've tried 2 times and will give it one more valiant try before having the dealer replace all corners
My 04 6mt didn't have any other bolt or screw holding the caliper to the hub. All I had to do was remove one caliper bolt, rotate the caliper up and out of the way, and the rotor came right off. The rotor hat is simply sandwiched between the hub face and wheel mounting surface. Do you have an X by chance?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
03 G35 Coupe

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=220764

Once the caliper is off, you can take off the rotor. If it won’t come off by hand, use that 12mm bolt supplied on your OEM rotor. Simply screw it in and start tightening it. It forces the rotor away from the hub and you’ll feel it POP off. Then simply remove the rotor.
So the large bolt on the back of the rotor i do not need to loosen? Once the caliper is removed i should be able to "pull" the rotor off?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
There are no other bolts, holding the rotors on. Once you remove the caliper and caliper bracket, the rotor should come right off. It is possible the rotor may be a little "weathered" and may take some persuasion. The bolts in question are the two larger bolts holding the caliper bracket to the spindle, not just the two small bolts holding the caliper in place.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the input.

Are you saying that since i have taken the calipers off and changed my brake pads before i was seconds away from removing the rotors?

Looking at the photo i can see that there is nothing holding the rotor into place now. The large bolt i was trying to get at is circled in yellow. Looks like i will give this another go ahead when the weather is nice.

Thanks for the help again!

Attached Thumbnails Rotors-3-12-3737-l-fqcu79lgpxnz0ydfehsq.jpg   Rotors-bigbolt.jpg  
Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM
The left diagram, shows the two bolts holding the caliper bracket in place. YOu do not have to remove these to change teh pads however, only if you are pulling the rotors. To change pads you can remove the lower caliper slider pin and flip the caliper up to access the pads.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM
So you guys don't recommend me buying iRotors? I bought some before when i had my eclipse and they worked great. What do you guys recommend then for my Sedan?

Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
You will get a thousand differnet answers. Depends on what you want and plan to do with teh car. If your looking for all out performance, track days etc, you should look at a BBK from a reputable compnay, Brembo, Stoptech, Racing Brake, etc. If you just want loooks, you could go with stock size replacement rotors, from some of the same companies. Satop tech offers a nice package with slotted rotors, lines and fluid. A thrid option is a OE caliper BBK, from some on like Racing brake, larger rotors with stock calipers. I personally chose the Racing Brake OE BBK, and I have now ordered 4 pot calipers to upgrade the front, using the rotors from the OE BBK. Other than upgrading to 4 piston calipers, at a later date, the OE BBK doesn't really have a huge performance advantage over quality stock size replacement rotors. The slight advantage comes from a larger heat sink, and a slightly longer torque arm. Of course a 13 inch rotor looks impressive behind a larger wheel.
So all in in all your options are wide open.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JessNherG
Thanks for the input.

Are you saying that since i have taken the calipers off and changed my brake pads before i was seconds away from removing the rotors?

Looking at the photo i can see that there is nothing holding the rotor into place now. The large bolt i was trying to get at is circled in yellow. Looks like i will give this another go ahead when the weather is nice.

Thanks for the help again!
the 2nd pic looks like its either drums or the rear breaks and it also looks as thought the rotor has already been removed... there is no bolt on the back of the rotor holding it in place... ive change all four rotors on my G as well as countless brakes for my family and friends... the rotor might be stuck in tight from all the pressure but some strength will get it out.. if yuo still have the little bolt on the outside, you can use that to help you loosen up the rotor. unscrew that bolt, remove the metal ring screw the bolt in until the rotor is loose ... replace rotor... usually aftermarket rotors won't have a place for that bolt so you'll just have to store it somewhere for later use if needed.

my bro and my buddies have had iRotors on their cars and after about 1 year or 2, they started to squeak...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotors