Evo BBK Research/Dev Thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
No. The G has a master cylinder that puts out a set amount of force to each side (front/rear) But that amount is determined by using known factors. (caliper piston area, rotor size, pad selection etc)

front / rear bias might be 65-35 BUT it's calculated from factors from the entire system.

I go into why it probably won't work but that's not the point. The point is he hasn't shown us WHY it WOULD work. Well work correctly is a better term. The burden of proof isn't on us, it's on him. He's the one doing the project and subjecting others to his work(safety issue)

Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
No. The G has a master cylinder that puts out a set amount of force to each side (front/rear) But that amount is determined by using known factors. (caliper piston area, rotor size, pad selection etc)

front / rear bias might be 65-35 BUT it's calculated from factors from the entire system.

I go into why it probably won't work but that's not the point. The point is he hasn't shown us WHY it WOULD work. Well work correctly is a better term. The burden of proof isn't on us, it's on him. He's the one doing the project and subjecting others to his work(safety issue)

If you throw on a 6pot and 4pot rear BBK from a reputable manufacturer, the stock master cylinder is not going to know the size has been increased significantly. So, with him doing this how is it any different? I'm not arguing his safety issues, and if he should do this, because I think it is stupid and pointless. However, I just don't think having a different caliper would matter, other than it might not fit or something along those lines. Going from a stock caliper to a 12 piston caliper, with no problems, why would he have problems?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Canadian
If you throw on a 6pot and 4pot rear BBK from a reputable manufacturer, the stock master cylinder is not going to know the size has been increased significantly. So, with him doing this how is it any different? I'm not arguing his safety issues, and if he should do this, because I think it is stupid and pointless. However, I just don't think having a different caliper would matter, other than it might not fit or something along those lines. Going from a stock caliper to a 12 piston caliper, with no problems, why would he have problems?

Because HOPEFULLY the brake bias ratios have been maintained (though the caliper and rotor sizing) I say hopefully because I've read about kits been offered with no or little engineering behind them. So don't automatically assume just because some 25 piston bbk is offered, it's actually going to do anything.

so it's quite a bit different. He doesn't even know what size rotors he wants to use or why.

It's not the # of pistons, it's the total piston AREA that's the issue (the main issue anyway)

Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plugsnet
If you have positive insight please chime in other than that..
OK, Im POSITIVE your wasting your time and money.
I have seen people like you, try to RIG up things to work the way they think it will without listening to the people who know waht they are doing. Perfect example was that guy Tuarran on My350z trying to make BIG power out of a stock Turbonetics kit, despite the masses telling him the design would NOT work and be cost effective at the same time. In the end he had a bastardized turbo kit that never made power and he spent tons of extra money trying to do so.

Working, working properly, and cost effective are things to consider. Sure, you could make ANYTHING work given enough time and money. You could put an Escalade engine in a Fiero if you wanted to and had the money, the point is why the hell would you?? It dont make any sense.

you are a spectator and nothing more...
Hopefully not a spectator to a severe accident. We wish you the best and good luck.
Just try to heed some advice, just look for a used set of 350Z brembos..

Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks... Maybe I would listen to you if I were racing for some team and waisted thousands on new tires and brakes after every race... Honestly i am just looking for a better 60-0 time and a brake system that works.. Regardless what the braking BIas is or all the engineering factor you want to put as far as me knowing.. my major only concern is fitment of rotor in caliper and that the brakes actucally work when i brake...

And to compare this to a turbo kit that is forcing a lot more pressure in the engine is totally different than replacing calipers and rotors...

Like I said before.. Stop posting about why this idea is not your idea and you never want it to be idea and protect all the poor soccer moms out there that are in the way of my speeding bullet vehicle with a nuke as a engine...

The thing is my brakes will function before i use my car... and the bracket will not bend or destroy while driving if its think enough and made out of the right material.. I.E. Steel thats at least 5/8's of a inch think I will have no problems with braking my car under normal street conditions.. im not gonna be driving on a track for 200 races hitting corners going 100 miles and hour..

People drive on the streets all day with balled tires and cell phones in their hands.. Go ridicule those people... I wont go through with the kit if I cannot drive my car...

I am not angry just explaining my intentions of the project and what I am going to get out of it.. im not recommending no one to do this...

Oh and I do have the excel spread sheet to plug in different measurments to get a decent brake bias

Last edited by plugsnet; 12-16-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the G has automatic brake bias. No matter the calipers, shouldn't he be fine? I fail to see why a caliper would fvck his braking up or not. The general idea of how a caliper works is the same no matter what car it is on. Brake fluid and pistons...? I understand people may not think it doesn't work, but other than saying "it just won't work, you don't understand" do you have a logical explanation of WHY it won't work?
This is what i thought at well, but i couldn't find any information to support the idea. I have heard it from multiple people...

-Sean

Old 12-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you were able to properly measure brake bias for cars and somehow put together a BBK which would not only look nicer than OEM but also cost less AND improve 60-0 braking, youd have enough money to buy an Endless BBK you wouldnt be on the forum trying to devise a way to create a cheaper alternative so save yourself the headache...

If you really must get a BBK, get the Racing brake kit, or the Wilwood kit from Arizona Z car or whatever that site is. But in my opinion, do it right the first time or dont do it at all

Old 12-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Canada, eh?

Honestly i am just looking for a better 60-0 time and a brake system that works..
Keep your stock brakes. For one or two stops in a row, the stock brakes are just as good as any BBK on the market. You will NOT gain a better 60-0 stop distance with a BBK, unless you do repeated stops as the stock brakes will fade. Otherwise, it is your tires that are the limiting factor. Getting better tires will help increase your stopping distance than new brakes will. Your braking distance is dependent on your tires.

Because HOPEFULLY the brake bias ratios have been maintained (though the caliper and rotor sizing) I say hopefully because I've read about kits been offered with no or little engineering behind them. So don't automatically assume just because some 25 piston bbk is offered, it's actually going to do anything.

so it's quite a bit different. He doesn't even know what size rotors he wants to use or why.

It's not the # of pistons, it's the total piston AREA that's the issue (the main issue anyway)
I get it now, but since the G35 has an automatic brake bias (makes up for anything that isn't right) this setup theoretically should still work fine, no?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM

This is what i heard. Forget my last post...but what canadian said also sounds right. How would it be any different than throwing on a 6pot 4pot BBK? The master cylinder isn't going to know...?

-Sean

Old 12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Red Card Crew

Thanks... Maybe I would listen to you if I were racing for some team and waisted thousands on new tires and brakes after every race... Honestly i am just looking for a better 60-0 time and a brake system that works.. Regardless what the braking BIas is or all the engineering factor you want to put as far as me knowing.. my major only concern is fitment of rotor in caliper and that the brakes actucally work when i brake...

And to compare this to a turbo kit that is forcing a lot more pressure in the engine is totally different than replacing calipers and rotors...

Like I said before.. Stop posting about why this idea is not your idea and you never want it to be idea and protect all the poor soccer moms out there that are in the way of my speeding bullet vehicle with a nuke as a engine...

The thing is my brakes will function before i use my car... and the bracket will not bend or destroy while driving if its think enough and made out of the right material.. I.E. Steel thats at least 5/8's of a inch think I will have no problems with braking my car under normal street conditions.. im not gonna be driving on a track for 200 races hitting corners going 100 miles and hour..

People drive on the streets all day with balled tires and cell phones in their hands.. Go ridicule those people... I wont go through with the kit if I cannot drive my car...

I am not angry just explaining my intentions of the project and what I am going to get out of it.. im not recommending no one to do this...

Oh and I do have the excel spread sheet to plug in different measurments to get a decent brake bias
You seem really defensive about this. One could do all the research on your own and not have to deal with anyone here right? but you ARE asking all these questions so you are going to get some constructive critizism (at least from me)

You not knowing the basic information on the EVO and G rotor diameters shows me you want to do this on limited research and a limited budget. Both of these factors mean, limited success or even better a worse working system than before.

Exactly what makes you think you will be able to obtain a better 60-0 time when very few "engineered" BBKs are able to do this?

Here's a clue. It's MUCH easier to get a system that performs worse than it is to get one that performs better. IMHO, doing it this way, leads me to believe you will end up with bling and worse function. Would be better just to buy the caliper covers and call it a day. At least you will still get the oem 60-0 times.

Just so you don't think I'm talking out of my ****, I've been there and done this: front and rear custom bbk on my old maxima

Old 12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Jeff, lol that rotor is way to big for that caliper...

-Sean

Old 12-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Nismo, you have no idea what you are talking about. ALL rotors are have a bigger area than their swept area. It's just that the rotor RUSTS where it isn't swept all the time. BTW. As long as the pad has contact area, that's what counts.

Go to a 2 pc version of that rotor and suddenly the extra swept area is almost nill. Interesting isn't it?

These are odd questions coming from someone that's making the G37 akebono brackets?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Red Card Crew

BTW. Here are some pics of my 06Z rotors before I did my upgrade. See the black painted part? There's extra unswept area that the OEM pad on the OEM brake system doesn't touch. I guess the OEM caliper is way too small for that OEM rotor also.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Canada, eh?

Nismo, you have no idea what you are talking about. ALL rotors are have a bigger area than their swept area. It's just that the rotor RUSTS where it isn't swept all the time. BTW. As long as the pad has contact area, that's what counts.

Go to a 2 pc version of that rotor and suddenly the extra swept area is almost nill. Interesting isn't it?

These are odd questions coming from someone that's making the G37 akebono brackets?
My Megan BBK doesn't have any unswept area..you can barely see it in this picture..

Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Most of the big aftermarket BBK's for the G/Z platform have a lot of research put into them to decide on what sizes to use. I give the OP credit for trying something like this but I don't think his final results will even come close to the oem Brembo kit which is about the same size.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo BBK Research/Dev Thread.