Evo BBK Research/Dev Thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually it's not. Why? Because your generalizations (while accurate) also assume that the systems that are being discussed are properly sized for the application. If not, all bets are off regarding performance. Just buying whatever calipers he can get and fitting them to whatever rotors that might fit isn't the way to improve performance. Not in my opinion anyway.
I agree with you. I was talking about BB "Kits" that have been researched and found to work in a particular application.

As for bias, yes, slapping just any ol' brakes on a car without doing the proper "due diligence" will get you killed. There are gizmo's that will adjust the bias on you set up, but if you can get a system that doesn't need adjustment, you are much better off.

As for the "it don't matter what I put on, the car will auto adjust the bias" argument, bullshyt. Yes in a panic stop, the ABS will work, but not taking into account all the factors of Master cylinder size/volume, caliper piston size/volume, swept area, pad composition etc, you are just asking for trouble.

I had a 1997 Ford F-150 that had over 300,000 miles on it. In that time I had 4 rotor/pad replacements on the front and when I had it towed off the shoes in the back looked brand new. That's an example of poor brake bias.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You sure the rear shoes were adjusted? If rear drum brakes aren't adjusted, then they no workie. I assume they had drums as must trucks do.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I didn't do the work, a brake shop did (company truck). So, no I'm not sure, but I would have hoped they would check them.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
More than likely, the rear shoes were never adjusted. But in your defense, I think most trucks are severly underbiased in the rear because when they are unloaded the rear is seriously light. I think most have bias adjusters in the rear for when it's loaded. ie.. when the ride height goes down, it puts more bias in the rear. My old maxima had that feature.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's great that he's pursuing this endeavor. I know I'm not alone when I say I've always wanted to see someone do this. Will he follow through and complete the custom kit in a timely manner? We'll see. Will he take into account all the factors involved and make all the correct calculations, to ultimately select the right componens? We'll see.

Honestly, I doubt this project will end successfully any time soon, but hey...hope I'm proven wrong.