Evo BBK Research/Dev Thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Jeff I have learned a bunch about brakes reading the back and forth I know which way I'm leaning for my brake upgrades. OEM Brembo FTW. Now to start searching for a set lol.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I have driven a front bbk that moved the bias to the fronts. Not good. I'd go oem brembo with the 2 pc rotors but that's just me and my LOGIC talking.
Something some of these members clearly lack lol. Id interject about the 1pc vs 2 pc rotors but a) theres no point trying to talk to someone who doesnt wanna listen and b) i have a final in 4 hours and im on the forum =/ last one till i grad from college whoot!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I dont see how this isn't all that different from what the tuners are doing with a 240SX using 300ZX or 350Z or EVO 8/9 or even Sti brake combinations. Hell I've even seen a guy use Cadillac CTS-V calipers with EVO rotors with 300ZX rear rotors/calipers.

I'll agree that the OP is wrong in seeking quicker 60-0 times as most people will agree that OEM systems tend to be best designed for short immediate braking (when said OEM brakes are used on that OEM car), while racing systems tend to favor longer, extended braking performance.

Most people will even say that the OEM pads on the brembo systems have better cold braking performance than upgraded pads and thats because OEM systems are often designed for emergency type braking that happens on a day to day stuck in traffic watch out for that kid environment.

If he simply wants to quicken his braking, he'd be better off with new pads, harder lines and sticky tires...but if he wants to better his long term braking ability and have a better looking setup, then he is going in the right direction.

I think for simplicity he needs to choose to use the EVO rotors or just use the 350Z/g35 brembo rotors. Most pad companies use the same size pad for the 350Z/G35/Sti/Evo calipers so thats not much of an issue.

I dont think he'll have too much issue with the system he is going for, i think the bias difference will be marginal for what he is going for.

I bet when all said and done, his cost will be right around $1000 for a four wheel DIY BBK kit, there is simply no other alternative out there that equals that cost.

I also agree for the same cost he would just be better off with a front BBK system, but clearly he is after a look and the claim of doing it himself.

Also something Im not sure about, he may want to see whats involved in using and acquiring a brake master cylinder from a brembo'd equipped Z or G to better balance his braking bias, but again I think the difference will be small.

good luck to the OP, sorry if I repeated other points and such, i didnt feel like reading what look liked 7-pages of "You're going to kill yourself and everyone else."

Old 12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Cubanl81
Thanks Jeff I have learned a bunch about brakes reading the back and forth I know which way I'm leaning for my brake upgrades. OEM Brembo FTW. Now to start searching for a set lol.
There are far better threads in this section. You can dig around or search my posts in this section for reference. Not only for my comments but for good, sound discussion on the subject in general. There's a very good brake test article that I've posted. Very interesting info.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
There is only two reasons to put a BBK on your car, You track it or you like the looks. That's it.

The brakes that come with it will stop the car as fast (ABS ON) as the biggest BBK you can stuff on it.... Once.

The difference is in HOW MANY TIMES THE BRAKES CAN STOP IT. BBK (most of the time) can dissipate 50% (or more) heat than stock. Racing pads can take more heat and not come apart.

It's that simple.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Texasscout
There is only two reasons to put a BBK on your car, You track it or you like the looks. That's it.

The brakes that come with it will stop the car as fast (ABS ON) as the biggest BBK you can stuff on it.... Once.

The difference is in HOW MANY TIMES THE BRAKES CAN STOP IT. BBK (most of the time) can dissipate 50% (or more) heat than stock. Racing pads can take more heat and not come apart.

It's that simple.
Actually it's not. Why? Because your generalizations (while accurate) also assume that the systems that are being discussed are properly sized for the application. If not, all bets are off regarding performance. Just buying whatever calipers he can get and fitting them to whatever rotors that might fit isn't the way to improve performance. Not in my opinion anyway.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Not in my opinion anyway.
I don't want to argue with you Jeff, but again opinion's don't matter in situations like this. I don't know about everyone else, but I need reputable FACTS and logic to agree with you. Because otherwise, what is stopping me from saying something ridiculous? I know you tried to display the facts in the earlier pages of the thread, but I still disagree and don't think you posted enough evidence to back up your opinion. Again..I'm not trying to argue with you, but I disagree and if you want me or anyone else to think you're right, I need EVIDENCE. Not just something you think.

Why does a different caliper not work for a G35? The G35 has an automatic brake bias. It shouldn't matter the size of the caliper? As I said before, if you throw on a 12pot BBK on the front, all the pistons in the 12pot will obviously be bigger combined than the stock brake setup.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Canadian
I don't want to argue with you Jeff, but again opinion's don't matter in situations like this. I don't know about everyone else, but I need reputable FACTS and logic to agree with you. Because otherwise, what is stopping me from saying something ridiculous? I know you tried to display the facts in the earlier pages of the thread, but I still disagree and don't think you posted enough evidence to back up your opinion. Again..I'm not trying to argue with you, but I disagree and if you want me or anyone else to think you're right, I need EVIDENCE. Not just something you think.

Why does a different caliper not work for a G35? The G35 has an automatic brake bias. It shouldn't matter the size of the caliper? As I said before, if you throw on a 12pot BBK on the front, all the pistons in the 12pot will obviously be bigger combined than the stock brake setup.
Actually you haven't posted any evidence to support your opinion either. So why should I take your infomation seriously? Goes both ways doesn't it?

Put it this way, if what you say is true, then why does the OEM brakes just feature a bigger caliper/rotor in front and a smaller caliper/rotor in back? Why does the master cylinder have a porportioning valve built in at all?? Why not just let the brake force distribution take care of it all?? Why does all the aftermarket BBKs feature a bigger system in front vs the rear?

I'm answering your questions with questions since the normal way of reasoning isn't working. I hope this does.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you guys just stop... Its over.. nothing you tell me will change my choice to do this..

If its stupid then un subscribe and never hear of this thread again its that simple.. or watch me fail... I dont need you to convince the world that my decision is not of your standards and is stupid in automobile history...

FOR JEFF and all the people that want to sound like politicians and tell me what is right for me when they have all the money to do what they want to do.. go get a Brembo 2piece BBK with your hard earned cash and call it a day...

Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Canada, eh?

Actually you haven't posted any evidence to support your opinion either. So why should I take your infomation seriously? Goes both ways doesn't it?

Put it this way, if what you say is true, then why does the OEM brakes just feature a bigger caliper/rotor in front and a smaller caliper/rotor in back? Why does the master cylinder have a porportioning valve built in at all?? Why not just let the brake force distribution take care of it all?? Why does all the aftermarket BBKs feature a bigger system in front vs the rear?

I'm answering your questions with questions since the normal way of reasoning isn't working. I hope this does.
I'm not saying I am right, I am just assuming (the mother of all fvck ups, yes I know) that I am right because of evidence I see from BBK manufacturers. It makes sense to me that the stock system and aftermarket kits are bigger in the front and smaller in the back IF the car is already setup that way from the factory. Of course if this guy throws on a BBK that doesn't match the same ratio from the front to rear, then I could see how that will screw it up. But if he maintains like a 6pot 4pot or a 4pot 2pot, then he should be fine, right? That is basically going along with what you're saying, right?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Red Card Crew

I'm not saying I am right, I am just assuming (the mother of all fvck ups, yes I know) that I am right because of evidence I see from BBK manufacturers. It makes sense to me that the stock system and aftermarket kits are bigger in the front and smaller in the back IF the car is already setup that way from the factory. Of course if this guy throws on a BBK that doesn't match the same ratio from the front to rear, then I could see how that will screw it up. But if he maintains like a 6pot 4pot or a 4pot 2pot, then he should be fine, right? That is basically going along with what you're saying, right?
Okay now we are getting somewhere. In general I agree. BUT just saying 6 pot / 4 pot is only accurate in GENERAL. To be specific, you need the total piston areas and the rotor sizes. All affect the brake force at each end, thus affecting the overall brake bias. I hope that makes sense.

But take this guy's project. He wants to use EVO calipers. Might work, might not. In general, the calipers are "probably" setup okay. The good thing is that he's using the front/rear as a set. But he hasn't decided on front/rear rotor sizes. Mixing and matching calipers with diff rotor sizes might not be wise. (for obvious reasons)

More than likely, he'll fumble his way into something that will "function" but will probably be less than ideal. And most likely brake worse than his stock system. Remember, his goal was a better 60-0 time. THAT is VERY difficult to even MATCH even when well designed aftermarket systems that actually engineer this stuff. so what's his chances at coming close via the method he wants to use?(which is really no method at all).
So he has some BBK for cheap. So what? It in all likelyhood will perform worse than what he had in the 1st place. So what type of bargin is that?

Read the zachheusan brake test data that I've posted and it wold make alot more sense. Or read the stoptech white paper. What I've been saying for 5 pages is all there. That way, you don't have to believe me, you can see the data for yourself.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 12-17-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Canada, eh?

Okay now we are getting somewhere. In general I agree. BUT just saying 6 pot / 4 pot is only accurate in GENERAL. To be specific, you need the total piston areas and the rotor sizes. All affect the brake force at each end, thus affecting the overall brake bias. I hope that makes sense.

But take this guy's project. He wants to use EVO calipers. Might work, might not. In general, the calipers are "probably" setup okay. The good thing is that he's using the front/rear as a set. But he hasn't decided on front/rear rotor sizes. Mixing and matching calipers with diff rotor sizes might not be wise. (for obvious reasons)

More than likely, he'll fumble his way into something that will "function" but will probably be less than ideal. And most likely brake worse than his stock system. Remember, his goal was a better 60-0 time. THAT is VERY difficult to even MATCH even when well designed aftermarket systems that actually engineer this stuff. so what's his chances at coming close via the method he wants to use?(which is really no method at all).
So he has some BBK for cheap. So what? It in all likelyhood will perform worse than what he had in the 1st place. So what type of bargin is that?

Read the zachheusan brake test data that I've posted and it wold make alot more sense. Or read the stoptech white paper. What I've been saying for 5 pages is all there. That way, you don't have to believe me, you can see the data for yourself.
It's not that I don't believe you, I just like to see proof, thats how I am.

I think I understand you more. He will just need to make sure he finds the right rotor sizes, etc. I agree with you now more with your last explanation. Once he finds the rotors he is using and unless he makes sure they're the right size and what not, he will probably end up screwing his braking up.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Red Card Crew

It's not that I don't believe you, I just like to see proof, thats how I am.

I think I understand you more. He will just need to make sure he finds the right rotor sizes, etc. I agree with you now more with your last explanation. Once he finds the rotors he is using and unless he makes sure they're the right size and what not, he will probably end up screwing his braking up.
Like I said, you don't have to believe anything I say at all. Read the articles I've mentioned. It's all there.

Problem I see is "right sized rotors" might not = "what fits". So he'll have to settle with "what fits" and hope it's "close enough". Hat offset problem. Since his brackets are flat, I hope the EVO brembos have mounts that are accomodating. Put it this way, if he wants to use those flat mounts and the evo calipers are very similar to the G brembos ( I think they might be), then he most likely won't be able to use the G rotors.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a good plot of piston size vs. rotor diameter and how it affects braking torque

Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is how brake bias affects an audi s4(with electronic brake for distribution)

EBD can only do so much obviously.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo BBK Research/Dev Thread.