Springs vs coils????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Springs vs coils????

Hey sorry guys i ask so many damn questions. but im thinkin of lowering my car should i got for a coilovers or just drop it with springs. . i also wanna get some camber kit. So give me some suggestions on what i should do thanks in advanced?!?!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol... I guess you have money to afford coil and camber kit. Coil def...lol This question is dumb...

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Coils FTW. You can dump it as low as you want as opposed to springs where it's a specific height. Plus with certain coils you can adjust the damper settings, great benefit! With some coilovers, like some of the ones Tein offers, you can control the damper settings from inside the vehicle, or with Function and Form, you'll soon be able to do the same, but wirelessly.

If you're interested in coils, PM me. I'm selling my function and form's and they hardly have any miles on them.....plus you can dump it to where you can't drive.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Colis are a hassle. Sure in theory you can adjust them, but after a while, you just want something reliable. Some coils give you a horrible ride. It's a bltch to adjust them and get them to all even out Sure you can cont the thread and adjust the height.

Every time you adjust the height, you either ruin the camber -/+ or mess up the alignment. Our G gets poor tread wear as is.

Adjust them to low and you blow out your shocks. I mean who adjust their ride height anyways? Do you guys adjust them for show, for weather, what?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Colis are a hassle. Sure in theory you can adjust them, but after a while, you just want something reliable. Some coils give you a horrible ride. It's a bltch to adjust them and get them to all even out Sure you can cont the thread and adjust the height.

Every time you adjust the height, you either ruin the camber -/+ or mess up the alignment. Our G gets poor tread wear as is.

Adjust them to low and you blow out your shocks. I mean who adjust their ride height anyways? Do you guys adjust them for show, for weather, what?
I do. And it's simple. Doesn't take rocket science to do it. To be honest I was quite a noob but it's VERY simple. Turn the ring one way a certain amount, then bring the other one closer, make sure they are tight....you're done. Yeah it takes time, but it's worth it.

If you get shocks that blow because you're too low, then you just bought yourself some pretty sh*tty coils. By the way, all this talk about camber, bla bla bla....it's the toe that REALLY matters. Long as that's within spec, you are generally fine. That's why there's guys running -3 camber or even more and still fine.

Adjusting the damping settings is simple to do, it's just a **** under the hood for the front and same with the rear. With the rears I think you need extenders to do it so you don't have to take out the entire shock.

I don't see how coils are really a hassle. Once you have the height set just like you want, you can get your alignment done and whatnot and be finished, just like springs. Coils offer a great ride too, even if you are low. My car is slammed, slammed to the point where I've had to replace my y pipe, now my cats, I've gotten stuck several times, couldn't make it up some driveways or go over some bumps, and people have complimented the ride quality.

Again, it depends on the coilovers themselves. You get something with poor quality, that's what you'll get.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts

are you speaking from experience? if so you probably chose a terrible brand and were careless somewhere along the way. If you are not speaking from experience then stop giving coilovers a bad name. Lowering a car is not for everyone and for those who chose to invest in coilovers lower their car to the degree of their own taste. The kind of drop that springs will give you does not even come close to comparing with the drop of the coilovers.

To the OP I suggest searching a lot more because there are numerous threads on the same question you have. If you want to get coilovers, do it right. There will be more costs involved with doing so. If you can afford to do it, go for it if not then stick with springs. If you stick with springs search to see what springs require camber kits. Camber kits are expensive for this car so keep that in mind. I hope you understood that the key word is search. Once you have done a good amount of search you can decide for yourself what way to go, that way it is truly your choice.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Banned
Yes I'm speaking of experience. I played with them for the 1st few months, and later I never touched it again. So I got the regular springs (eibachs) the ride was much smoother.

setup were Ground Control coils with tokico illumna shocks. Later changed to eibach with tokico blues.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 PM
seems like you want too much out of the coilovers. If you want to be relatively LOW and have a GOOD ride comfort it will cost you. This is nothing new, so more likely than not you chose a set of coilovers which if you told us what they were we would probably tell you, yes it was the coilovers, got mad and went to springs. At least try not discourage others from getting coilovers just because you had a bad experience with them which was once again more likely than not your fault.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by eurodre
seems like you want too much out of the coilovers. If you want to be relatively LOW and have a GOOD ride comfort it will cost you. This is nothing new, so more likely than not you chose a set of coilovers which if you told us what they were we would probably tell you, yes it was the coilovers, got mad and went to springs. At least try not discourage others from getting coilovers just because you had a bad experience with them which was once again more likely than not your fault.
LOL, i didn't get mad, I just didn't need it. And they were for my previous car. My G35 is bone stock on Sports Suspension.

Just a warning, if you're going to do any drop, do it right. Get everything, coil, shocks and camber kit. might as well get everything installed all at once.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
so if you don't have any experience with coilovers on a g35 why would you give advice to discourage a member who wishes to put coilovers on his g35?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by eurodre
so if you don't have any experience with coilovers on a g35 why would you give advice to discourage a member who wishes to put coilovers on his g35?
Coils are coils, they do the same thing no matter what car you put them on.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
just please stop right there ok you are no longer helping the OP and it is obvious you don't know enough about coilovers

Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned
I would recommend just springs, shocks and camber kit if you just want a drop. Cost= $500+

If you want to adjust them for whatever reason, I recommend are teins and megan racing. Cost 1k+ Good luck.

Don't go cheap.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Coils are coils, they do the same thing no matter what car you put them on.
WRONG!

Do you realize how many different suspesion parts there on a vehicle and it's not just shocks and springs that make a difference? Sway bars themselves make a big difference in ride comfort and quality.

I had an '01 Accord sedan with Megan Racing coilovers dropped nicely. I got the G35 sedan and put on Tein Basics and went lower, with 20's and thinner tires (as opposed to stock on the Accord) and the ride quality was still MUCH better.

It does make a difference!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
I would recommend just springs, shocks and camber kit if you just want a drop. Cost= $500+

If you want to adjust them for whatever reason, I recommend are teins and megan racing. Cost 1k+ Good luck.

Don't go cheap.
Why are you recommending if you never put any on the G? There are so many choices to go with, it depends on what the OP is wanting. Comfort, slammed ride, performance, a balance of all or two.

BTW, you can't adjust Tein Basics, so by just saying go with Tein does not help. Tein also offers MANY different coilovers, it depends what you want them for.

Camber kit alone is about 500 bucks for our cars, so I don't see how you fit springs and shocks into that calculation. And if you're gonna buy springs and shocks, might as well buy coilovers, even if they're used cos you can keep it OEM height if you just want the performance.

You really need to quit giving advise on things you don't know. And if you're complaining about things being to expensive..sell your G, get a Hyundai.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Springs vs coils????