Any one replace their lower ball joints?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Justdefied
Hmm, alignment was done last year and still seems fine (0 drifting in either direction when driving straight, hell I can drive down a road with no hands if I wanted to).

I'll wait a day or two for the grease that was added to "settle in", if the sound is still there I'll have them check the caster angle. Thanks
Yeah, it wouldn't change the driving feel (as in drifting/pulling). Do you have excessively small contact patch and tire wear on the inside of the front tires?

Old 09-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Yeah, it wouldn't change the driving feel (as in drifting/pulling). Do you have excessively small contact patch and tire wear on the inside of the front tires?
Bit of a late response, but no, no excess wear on the inside of the tires. Really want to get this figured out before the winter comes.

Creaking is still there, it's gotten louder. Doesn't happen when going over bumps, but when turning slowly (eg: Into driveway or parking spot) it's pretty bad.

edit: I'm going in to get a printout of the alignment. Anything specific numbers I should look out for?

edit 2: Just got my alignment printout and everything is in the green except camber
Camber is -1.3/-1.4
Caster is 7.9/8.1
toe is 0.02/0.01

Still don't know wtf this creaking is when I turn. The end links where checked once again. Anyone know what else it could be? I mean other than throwing more money at it and having the compression rods completely taken out to inspect.

Last edited by Justdefied; 09-18-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:40 AM
Justdefied
I had a similar creaking noises after installing Hotchkis sways, they put more stress on the OEM sway bar links during turns & speedbumps even though I was not lowered. Maybe your troubleshooting should include a sway bar end link lube using a grease needle on the rubber covered joints (two on each link). Simply puncture the rubber boot and inject a marine grease until the boot fills. It is a cheap & easy fix. If it works - great! if not then you have not lost much time or money. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm going to replace my lower ball joints and all the front bushing soon. And want to replace the upper ball joint while I'm at it but have a question. Is the upper ball joint and lower interchangeable on the 2004 G35 sedan? In other words is it the same part. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 2008 sedan ball joints

G35 2008 sedan ball joints can i replace them or do i have to change the control arm?

Old 12-27-2016, 01:26 AM
Angry Lower ball joint

I just replaced my lower joint everything taken off and put back on correctly but now my VDC off light, RAS , and Slip light came on and my alignment is completely thrown off ? Any tips or ideas on to what I did wrong or where what went wrong ?

Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Justdefied
Bit of a late response, but no, no excess wear on the inside of the tires. Really want to get this figured out before the winter comes.

Creaking is still there, it's gotten louder. Doesn't happen when going over bumps, but when turning slowly (eg: Into driveway or parking spot) it's pretty bad.

edit: I'm going in to get a printout of the alignment. Anything specific numbers I should look out for?

edit 2: Just got my alignment printout and everything is in the green except camber
Camber is -1.3/-1.4
Caster is 7.9/8.1
toe is 0.02/0.01

Still don't know wtf this creaking is when I turn. The end links where checked once again. Anyone know what else it could be? I mean other than throwing more money at it and having the compression rods completely taken out to inspect.

Did you ever get this figured out?

Old 07-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by JZ39
Did you ever get this figured out?
Had like 4 different people/places inspect, the only "answer" I got was from a Infiniti mechanic who said it's most likely the sound of the brakes slipping (and therefore creaking) but no way to tell other than replacing it..

My front rotor is warped now so I gotta replace it anyways so I just ordered new pads, rotors, hardware and Stainless Steel brake lines and I'm gonna be installing them probably at the end of the month and I'll report back if it fixes the issue.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
How in the hell does a brake slip? Not sure what that means, but good luck!

I put in some Z1 Motorsports arms when I did my coilovers and I've got a creaking/binding noise in the front right only and done know what it is. I'm going to swap back in my oem A arms and see if it goes away. We'll see.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by JZ39
How in the hell does a brake slip? Not sure what that means, but good luck!

I put in some Z1 Motorsports arms when I did my coilovers and I've got a creaking/binding noise in the front right only and done know what it is. I'm going to swap back in my oem A arms and see if it goes away. We'll see.
I have no idea how a brake "slips" either to be honest, but since I only hear the creaking when I'm turning slowly with brake applied I just rolled with it. Either way not a major issue since i have to replace the pads/rotors anyways plus I had all the linkages checked.

For your Z1 arms I'd check if they use the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings, those have been known to squeak after a while. A couple people on these forums complained about them, they also mentioned the noise gets slightly worse in the cold. So if that's something that you noticed it's probably the bushing on the arms; although it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong, it's just a character trait of those bushings for some reason.

You could also look into replacing just the bushings, people seem to have better luck with the Whiteline ones as far as noise goes.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Can someone please link me to a lower ball joint that is the correct size for a 2006 G35 5AT Coupe RWD stock suspension?

I prefer to get a decent one the first go round and correct size as some mentioned they got longer ones than original.

Last edited by phatrabbitzz; 07-14-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I did a search on eBay and found it. I installed it using a press from Autozone.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by CFE4130
I did a search on eBay and found it. I installed it using a press from Autozone.
On ebay they make it look as if all years on the G35 it's the same ball joints. Even autozone website shows as if the duralast brand ball joints will work on all years. But some people noted in this and in the 350z thread that the ball joints are different in 05+ cars.

I have an 06 and want to make sure I'm getting the correct part. Has anyone used MEVOTECH MS30506? If so how has it been holding up?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by phatrabbitzz
On ebay they make it look as if all years on the G35 it's the same ball joints. Even autozone website shows as if the duralast brand ball joints will work on all years. But some people noted in this and in the 350z thread that the ball joints are different in 05+ cars.

I have an 06 and want to make sure I'm getting the correct part. Has anyone used MEVOTECH MS30506? If so how has it been holding up?
I got the mevotech ms30506. I bought them from Z1, but when i bought them mevotech only made the ones for the 03-04 models. Since then they upgraded them for 05+ cars. I only had them in on the car for about a month but seems like a good quality unit. They are beefy just like OEM. One suggestion, buy the tapered OEM seats since the mevotech does not come with them and it was next to impossible to remove my oem ones.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:53 AM
How did you guys move the control arm out of the way to get enough clearance to put in the new ball joint? This is in a 2006 G35 rwd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Any one replace their lower ball joints?