Upgrading to Brembos. Do I need a different Master Cylinder that Stock One?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Upgrading to Brembos. Do I need a different Master Cylinder that Stock One?

Hey guys, just need a quick question answered. I have an 04 g35. Upgrading to a set of Brembos that came off an '04. Im getting the calipers & rotors & the guy I'm buying them from said its a direct swap & I don't need anything else. Is this true? Or would I need the master cylinder off the car with the Brembos as well? A fast quick reply would be greatly appreciated, as I'm suppose to buy them today.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Master cylinder in 03&04 was the same for Brembo and non-Brembo systems so you don't need to change it.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Awsome! Thanks so much for the fast reply.

How much would a good deal be on 4 calipers & 4 rotors with 50k on them? Calipers are in great condition.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Boston
Master cylinder in 03&04 was the same for Brembo and non-Brembo systems so you don't need to change it.
That's incorrect, at least according to the FSM. The master cylinder for the Brembo systems had a larger bore (1.0626") than the non-Brembo systems (1" bore).

The brake boosters were also different: The Brembo-equipped systems had a dual diaphragm booster while the non-Brembo-equipped systems had a single diaphragm booster.

I think the major effect when upgrading will be in pedal feel and perhaps in travel distance; I think bias will be largely unaffected.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. However I have already installed them on my car. All I did was swap the calipers & rotors & it was good to go. The brake pedal feels the same to me as it did before. They stop great, but honestly I don't know if I can tell any difference in them over the stock ones. I mean I guess the only way to actually see the difference would be to measure stopping distance. They stop great if you stomp on them, but so did the factory ones.

I heard the only real difference was the Brembos don't fatigue like the factory ones do if you brake hard repeatidly (like in a track/race setting)

So I guess the master cylinder & brake booster don't really matter, or if they do make a difference its probably so minimal you would never know.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
You won't see any difference in stopping distances on the street for the first couple of stops. It's in repetitive, heavy braking that you'd see the difference. The larger rotors and calipers on the Brembos are designed to handle and dissipate more heat to avoid brake fade. Though, you could have also achieved some of that by upgrading to higher temp brake fluid on your original brakes. Research has shown that fluid fades more often than pads do.

Here's a good article showing comparisons in brake setups:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm

You'll notice that the best 60-0, 80-0 stops are not that different across the setups, but the averages are.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
OK cool. So I should flush this fluid out. Whats the best fluid to use & where do I get it?

Thanks for your help

Old 08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Depends on the application, really - are you tracking the car frequently? If so, you might want to look at something like Motul RBF-600, which is a very high-temp fluid, BUT you'll need to change it more frequently than other fluids because it does not absorb the moisture and the moisture sits in the lines.

Personally, I like Ate Super Blue for the street.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
That's incorrect, at least according to the FSM. The master cylinder for the Brembo systems had a larger bore (1.0626") than the non-Brembo systems (1" bore).

The brake boosters were also different: The Brembo-equipped systems had a dual diaphragm booster while the non-Brembo-equipped systems had a single diaphragm booster.

I think the major effect when upgrading will be in pedal feel and perhaps in travel distance; I think bias will be largely unaffected.
I upgraded to Brembo's form my stock dual-piston calipers on my 2005, and I wonder the same thing. I notice if I stomp my brakes I get a springback feeling in my brake pedal. I never had that with my stock brakes.