What are the advantages of adjustable shocks vs none adjustable.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:28 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
What are the advantages of adjustable shocks vs none adjustable.

Obviously besides the ability to adjust.

Here is what I'm looking at.

Tokico HP series and D-Spec series.

now.......besides being adjustable do D-spec offer any other advantages over HP series?

I don't do any kind of racing on my car so all I'm looking for is a decent shocks to replace my stock ones. (stock one have died)

Car is lowered on 350Z H-tech springs so after reading few threads I'm under the impression that stock shocks is not and ideal solution for a lover springs, that's what got me looking into aftermarket shocks.

But I don't quite understand why. Do stock shocks bottom out constantly cuz of the shorter spring?

If so how do I make sure I get the right aftermarket shocks?

Basically I need shocks to replace my stock ones to go along with my 350Z H-tech springs.
Help me find a suitable replacement.

Thanks

Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Well, I haven't looked in to just shocks since I went straight in to a coilover setup. Are you referring to adjusting the length or dampening settings of aftermarket shocks?

If you lower the car significantly on stock shocks, you are preloading the stock shocks a bit more. You won't be in the ideal stroke range and the excessive preload might give you a bumpier ride without any real benefits to it.

My answer could be off since I haven't really looked in aftermarket shocks.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
my goal is to find suitable shocks for already lowered suspension.

I don't wanna buy an aftermarket shocks if I'll end up preloading them just as I am preloading the stock ones.

So I'm looking for shocks that will be functioning properly why my springs.

That's why I'm asking if adjustable shocks (those that I posted above) will offer me that over the none adjustable ones.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
I believe the advantages of adjustable shocks are pretty explicit...

I.E.
Most people don't want to ride in a car that has suspension as stiff as a track car. When you're not spiritedly driving your car, you can soften up the shocks to absorb bumps better (though, usually new shocks will be stiffer than stock shocks). When you do decide to go drive some twisty roads, turn up the stiffness on your shocks.

Adjustable shocks also allow you to fine tune them for the application you want (drag, drift, time attack). Setting all the shocks to a certain setting usually doesn't work best for a race application.

The reason you need aftermarket shocks with lowering springs is because stock shocks were designed with stock springs in mind -- a set, specific height. With lowering springs, like Skaterbasist said, you put more preload on the shocks, shortening their lifespan. Once they blow out, your ride becomes very bouncy over bumps/dips/road imperfections, and it's not very pleasant (feels like you're riding in an old Cadillac).

Basically, if you just want a shock that will last with lowering springs, go with the HP-series. If you want the adjustability that goes with it, go with the D-Specs. A lot of people like the D-Specs, too.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx
I believe the advantages of adjustable shocks are pretty explicit...

I.E.
Most people don't want to ride in a car that has suspension as stiff as a track car. When you're not spiritedly driving your car, you can soften up the shocks to absorb bumps better (though, usually new shocks will be stiffer than stock shocks). When you do decide to go drive some twisty roads, turn up the stiffness on your shocks.

Adjustable shocks also allow you to fine tune them for the application you want (drag, drift, time attack). Setting all the shocks to a certain setting usually doesn't work best for a race application.

The reason you need aftermarket shocks with lowering springs is because stock shocks were designed with stock springs in mind -- a set, specific height. With lowering springs, like Skaterbasist said, you put more preload on the shocks, shortening their lifespan. Once they blow out, your ride becomes very bouncy over bumps/dips/road imperfections, and it's not very pleasant (feels like you're riding in an old Cadillac).

Basically, if you just want a shock that will last with lowering springs, go with the HP-series. If you want the adjustability that goes with it, go with the D-Specs. A lot of people like the D-Specs, too.

+1

AND TO ADD:

Since you are lowered, I would install shocks/struts that were designed for the Z since it has a lower specific height. This would help with preserving the life of your shock/strut.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'd be wary of using the HPs for anything but oem springs. Plus the HPs for the G will still have the long shock shaft length

Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'd be wary of using the HPs for anything but oem springs. Plus the HPs for the G will still have the long shock shaft length
In few threads that I read you kept on mentioning revised Z shocks.

You think it's going to be a better combination with my springs than HPs?

How do I make sure I get the right Z shocks?

Last edited by JOKER; 02-16-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
No expert here, but I think there are 2 things you're looking for...mainly shorter shock tube length since you are using shorter springs and you want your shocks operating in the sweet spot of ther range, not all in one small area (mostly compressed, I'd assume, in the case of stock G shocks paired with H-techs). Probably Z shocks will be a better (shorter) length than your coupe shocks, but IMO and without measuring, not by much.

The other consideration is spring rate versus compression/rebound damping - you want those to match pretty well so that you're neither bouncing up and down because the damping is too weak on the shock to keep the spring from compressing/rebounding too quickly OR your shocks are doing half the work for your springs because your shocks are really stiff and the your springs are soft. This is where adjustability comes in, you can match damping to spring rate in both (for some shocks) directions or until you like the ride.

I believe Jeff mentions revised Z shocks since they match up well to higher spring rates (427lb, what are your H-techs?). If you can find some off an 04.5-07(?) Z you've got the right ones. I don't know the make and model you're looking for, maybe another member here does.

Another idea might be to hit my350z and find out what most guys (and girls) normally run with their 350z H-techs.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
^the more I look into things the more I find out that people don't run proper set up.

Most buy brand names products rather than something that works for their ride.

G35 Stock spring rates are:
F 314
R 427

350z H-Tech spring rates are:
F 358
R 375

That another thing that is bothering me. Do I get the rear drop cuz of the length of the spring or cuz it's compression rate is smaller then stock?
I never bothered to measure my stock springs vs H-techs

Old 02-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Red Card Crew

OEM Z shocks could be a cheap alternative if you don't want adjustability. If the rates match up okay. Odd yours are actually softer in the rear?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
OEM Z shocks could be a cheap alternative if you don't want adjustability. If the rates match up okay. Odd yours are actually softer in the rear?
I can't tell.

Car was a bit stiffer once springs were installed and both ends did get lowered.

How would I match up the rates?
what kind of shock specifications should I be looking for?
Do I need to know spring measurements?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Research the oem Z spring rates on the non-revised and revised. That will probably tell you which is closest to matching your springs. Or just go with the Z shocks that were paired to the higher oem springs? If you want a slightly stiffer shock?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
well according to 350Z TECH our spring rates are the same

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:Springs

Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Red Card Crew

Then hit up the NW section of the Z forum. There's a guy parting out his oem Z suspension stuff.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
I can't tell.

Car was a bit stiffer once springs were installed and both ends did get lowered.

How would I match up the rates?
what kind of shock specifications should I be looking for?
Do I need to know spring measurements?
If your coupe is a base model, your H-techs are slightly stiffer. I believe the base spring rates are:

Oem springs (unrevised Z and base coupe):
Front:314 Rear:342

So if you go with Z shocks, you will have to choose between a little overdamped with the revised or a little underdamped with the unrevised. I'm not sure most of us would notice one way or the other, TBH.

I would guess your H-Techs are shorter than Z springs; you should be able to find an overall length measurement for each on the web...? The unrevised Z shocks I have in my garage are 315mm in length. I can't find a ref for H-tech lengths.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the advantages of adjustable shocks vs none adjustable.