HELP NEEDED: Coilover Suggestions! Most Comfortable Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
HELP NEEDED: Coilover Suggestions! Most Comfortable Ride Quality

Hello! Been doing some research and it just makes me more and more confused cuz of the different testimonies people have about coils! I am just basically looking for coils that will eliminate tire(running fat tires @ 245/40/19 F and 285/35/19 R) to fender gap and want a really comfortable ride, maybe even better than stock! Something that can handle rough LA roads while not being too bouncy!

Currently, I am on tockico D specs set at 4 turns front and back with 350z Tein H Techs and it still doesnt feel right! Bouncy at most but still feel a little stiff!

I am planning on running 20" wheels in the future so I want adjustability!

Currently looking into these coils:

KW Variant 2 or 3, Bilstein PSS9 or 10, Tanabe Sustec Pro-S OC

I am open to suggestions but kinda low on budget so the cheaper the better! hehehe! Looking for the best bang for the buck!

Your help is much appreciated!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
KW is a great setup, but the V2 and v3 setups will be primarily have a TON of adjustment ability, and are really intended for track or performance use. They will ride well on the street also, but I would suggest going with the v1 or perhaps Tein Comfort Spec. Also, the HKS Hipermax III are a very nice ride on the G.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by World Famous Z
KW is a great setup, but the V2 and v3 setups will be primarily have a TON of adjustment ability, and are really intended for track or performance use. They will ride well on the street also, but I would suggest going with the v1 or perhaps Tein Comfort Spec. Also, the HKS Hipermax III are a very nice ride on the G.
So adjustability on the V2 and 3 isnt really something I would need? What are the advantages of the other coils u posted? I think I was looking into the HKS III actually because of its spring rate!

Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the lx+ coilovers - their stance luxury edition? I dont remember the exact name, but I heard they are supposed to really comfortable.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
HKS hypermax III non-sports. There is a whole thread on coils from member Gsedan35. I think it's stickied. These coils are the Sheeyat. Not too bouncy, adjustable, and somewhat affordable if u find a USED set. New ones range from 1700-2200. Used from 900-1300.. There quality.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I have the Tanabe Pro5 coils and love them. They don't offer a huge amount of drop but damn they ride great.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
well first thing you have to understand that being on a budget and having good lowering ability and MORE comfortable than stock coilovers do not mix

you will have to sacrifice something at one point

secondly the "bouncy" concept is because the dampenings have been set to stiff to prevent tire rub

so understand what you want and what you might want later down the road because it can be a costly ride especially if you don't know what you want

Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eurodre
well first thing you have to understand that being on a budget and having good lowering ability and MORE comfortable than stock coilovers do not mix

secondly the "bouncy" concept is because the dampenings have been set to stiff to prevent tire rub

so understand what you want and what you might want later down the road because it can be a costly ride especially if you don't know what you want
not to thread jack .. but the stiffer the coilovers the less bouncy ??.. i have the bilstein 10.. but havent put them on my ride yet .. (winter) just want to clear things up in my head leading up to the time i put them on.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
HKS Hipermax 3. (non sport version)

Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by cool5555
What about the lx+ coilovers - their stance luxury edition? I dont remember the exact name, but I heard they are supposed to really comfortable.
Hmmm...ill look into that

Originally Posted by alfhasg35
HKS hypermax III non-sports. There is a whole thread on coils from member Gsedan35. I think it's stickied. These coils are the Sheeyat. Not too bouncy, adjustable, and somewhat affordable if u find a USED set. New ones range from 1700-2200. Used from 900-1300.. There quality.
Ive been looking for them and I think thats a "good luck to that" if I can see them used! hehehe!

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I have the Tanabe Pro5 coils and love them. They don't offer a huge amount of drop but damn they ride great.
How much drop exactly does it offer and hows the ride compared to stock?

Originally Posted by eurodre

Well for now I guess budget can be foregone cuz I want to really see/know what my options are! I can settle for my springs for now and just save up to get the ones I would really like!

I am running Tokico D specs though turned at 4 front stiff and still feels bouncy man!

I am looking at somewhat of a feel of how the camry handles itself on the road but ofcourse with that you have to factor in the tire wall sizes but thats at least the feel im kinda going for! Not much on performance but more on comfort!

Originally Posted by Buddi87
not to thread jack .. but the stiffer the coilovers the less bouncy ??.. i have the bilstein 10.. but havent put them on my ride yet .. (winter) just want to clear things up in my head leading up to the time i put them on.

I would like to know too cuz I saw that the bilstein PSS9 seems to suit my needs, or at least I think it does and it offers a low spring rate

Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
HKS Hipermax 3. (non sport version)
Is that gonna be more comfortable than bilsteins though? I actually just saw that their spring rate is higher than pss9s but then again I dont really know which one really plays a big factor! Dampening or spring rate?

What if you have a really low spring rate with the dampening set on stiff?

Also, the other way around, how does it feel to have a high spring rate with the dampening set to its softest setting?

Just really want to clarify how spring rate and dampening should go hand in hand to get the desired ride comfort!

Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
good price too

Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Yep I got mine from B2Autodesigns, great vendor. OP here's a pic with them maxed out F/R

Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Tein Flex with EDFC

Nothing rides better.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u want your ride to handle like a camry?? I don't know about u but the camry feels really loose and no control at all at speeds over 80. I think ure best option is to stick with stock bc all aftermarket springs and coilovers will be stiffer than the camry feel.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by FlyingMustache
good price too
$1200 is the average price for these new huh?

Yep I got mine from B2Autodesigns, great vendor. OP here's a pic with them maxed out F/R

Nice! Mind if u can let me know how much u got these for?

Originally Posted by 4DGS
Tein Flex with EDFC

Nothing rides better.
Really? U have that in your car? Any in depth review/personal experience on it that you can share?

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
u want your ride to handle like a camry?? I don't know about u but the camry feels really loose and no control at all at speeds over 80. I think ure best option is to stick with stock bc all aftermarket springs and coilovers will be stiffer than the camry feel.
Well just kind of a comparison but not the end of all! Just basically an idea of how I want the ride to feel and not factoring grip and control yet!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED: Coilover Suggestions! Most Comfortable Ride Quality