Brakes appear to be require exta effort with bigger rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2011 | 03:48 AM
|
Brakes appear to be require exta effort with bigger rims

Hi everyone,

I have a 05' g35 and bought some Volk's with 19 x 9.5 in front and 20 x 10.5 in the back..For the front's, I had to remove that bolt that holds the rotor or guides it...

Ever since then, when i brake, the brake goes down a little further and the car kind of shakes a little. Should i bleed the brakes and make sure there is no air in the lines or is that because the rims are bigger or perhaps because of the missing guide bolt? lol

Thanks in advance for the help..

Last edited by SilverG35ofSATX; 01-05-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-05-2011 | 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by SilverG35ofSATX
Hi everyone,

I have a 05' g35 and bought some Volk's with 19 x 9.5 in front and 20 x 10.5 in the back..For the front's, I had to remove that bolt that holds the rotor or guides it...

Ever since then, when i brake, the brake goes down a little further and the car kind of shakes a little. Should i bleed the brakes and make sure there is no air in the lines or is that because the rims are bigger or perhaps because of the missing guide bolt? lol

Thanks in advance for the help..
You removed a caliper guide bolt and never replaced it...that's your problem.

Old 01-05-2011 | 04:29 AM
|
oh dang...so that's it? jeez lol It's the bolt that screws onto the rotor though where the 5 lug nuts are.

It's just that the rim on the inside doesn't have space for that long bolt..maybe i can find one less lengthy? I only took it off because the rim wouldn't fit with it on..gosh o well..Thanks brotha..I wonder if that has happen to anyone else..

Old 01-05-2011 | 04:38 AM
That bolt doesn't really make a difference. Its just an OEM throw away thing, its there for a reason but not something you HAVE to have. People who run adapters on their wheels to push them out also have to remove them for everything to work. If the lugs are tight the sandwich effect keeps everything in check. Are the wheels hub centric? If not, one of the wheels could be off a little bit which will cause undesirable effects.

I would take the front wheels off and make sure that everything is tight, you could have a loose caliper bolt but I doubt it. You might be experiencing something with a wheel bearing going bad also. With the bigger wheels the geometry is changed and can wear out parts faster, especially if they were getting close to going already.

I would have this checked out by a quality brake shop if the problem persists after you look at it and make sure everything is tight.

Old 01-05-2011 | 04:45 AM
|
Thanks brotha.. Appreciate both your advice..I will definitely look into it and get it situated.

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by that1guyg35
that bolt doesn't really make a difference. Its just an oem throw away thing, its there for a reason but not something you have to have.
+1.

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:19 AM
idk much about brake problems but i would personally take it to a pro to take a look at it.
GL with everything, dont forget to update us

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by liljohnny
You removed a caliper guide bolt and never replaced it...that's your problem.
This is your typical Lil Johnny reply....^....which will leave members scratching their heads. Those guide bolts are throw aways and don't need to be replaced. If you're losing brake pedal find an independent brake/alignment shop in your neighborhood that does reliable work and take it in. This has nothing to do with your tire/wheel size!
Gary

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:58 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
if you overtightened your lug nuts that could warp your rotors and give you massive vibrations and reduce your braking.

So the things you need to check

1. If your lug nuts tight enough
2. If your wheel is hub centric (if not you need to get a hub centric ring)
3. If two previous things are in order, make sure you tighten your lug nuts to specs and in proper order. In circle every other one.