HELP!!! STANCE LX current and former owners chime in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
HELP!!! STANCE LX current and former owners chime in

Just wanted to get more opinions from people who currently own or used to own stance lx coils regarding ride comfort! Wanted to know how they were compared to their previous, or if u changed coils from stance lx+, your current set up interms of ride comfort mostly! Looking to know how much of a drop you put your G on and if you did any revalving or change in spring rates, pls share specs and experience compared to stock specs of the stance coils mentioned!

Your help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didn't have the LX+, but i had the GR+ Plus. if you're interested to hear my experience those coilovers, i'd definitely share. if not, then hopefully others can share more about the LX+s

best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
RedG (12-04-2012)
Old 04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Ya sure bro! Feel free to chime in!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by gbert15
Wanted to know how they were compared to their previous.
I moved from the OE "Sport Suspension" to the Stance GR+ Plus Coilovers. They were night and day difference on many levels. In terms of performance, I noticed a big reduction in understeer and an improvement in controlled oversteer. With the coilovers, it felt much more stable mid-turn. Turn-in was much more precise and controlled. The car felt like it went where ever I pointed it to. The improved dampening and rebound led to much better correction in stability. Body roll was drastically reduced. In induced oversteer, I felt it was much easier to control and correct. Despite the rear having a progressive spring, I still found it fairly predictable during compression.

Overall, I found every aspect of performance controlled. These opinions are coming from aggressive street driving, autocross, and track events.

...your current set up interms of ride comfort mostly!
For daily street driving, I set it right around 7/15 both front and rear. I had the OE-Style coilovers and I found it fairly comfortable on the pot-holed filled street of Chicago. I had no complaints from any of my friends and family members.

For track, I bumped it up to around 12/15. I tried this on the street and it is fairly jarring, but actually bearable. For daily use, I would recommend going softer for sure.

...Looking to know how much of a drop you put your G on...
I honestly can't remember the exact measurement, but I was pretty low. I was tucking tire front and back on the following wheel/tire setup:
Volk CE28N: 19x9.5 +12 19x10.5 +12
Toyo T1R: 255/35/19 275/35/19

For the track, I would raise the car slightly for better suspension geometry and travel.

...and if you did any revalving or change in spring rates, pls share specs and experience compared to stock specs of the stance coils mentioned!
I kept the standard specs that Stance provided. As I mentioned, I had the OE-style which had a progressive spring in the rear.

These are all based off of the GR+ Plus that I had. From my understanding, the biggest difference between the GR+ and the LX+ is the monotube design and spring rates. I can almost guarantee that if you get the LX+ you will have a very comfortable ride.

What I may ask is, what are your goals with getting a new suspension? Do you plan on tracking? Is your car primarily street driven? Is it for looks? etc

Hopefully this helps a little bit. Best of luck finding a suspension. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I love Stance's products so much, I'm running their coilovers on my E46 M3

Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Very nice bro! Good detailed explanation! Right now just for looks so basically i want to lower a bit! Not even that much cuz i just want to close my tire to fender gap only! Only thing is i need to make it a comfortable ride being that i have friends riding with me everyday and my area is full of potholes too here in downtown la! Im planning to do a beefy tire set up for added comfort, or am i wrong in ubderstanding that? I am trying to get generals or hankook v12s right now!

Would u recommend going for a softer dampe ing setting or would it become too bouncy? I dont track at all but would do an occasional adrenaline driven spurt though! Hehe!

Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Very nice bro! Good detailed explanation! Right now just for looks so basically i want to lower a bit! Not even that much cuz i just want to close my tire to fender gap only! Only thing is i need to make it a comfortable ride being that i have friends riding with me everyday and my area is full of potholes too here in downtown la! Im planning to do a beefy tire set up for added comfort, or am i wrong in ubderstanding that? I am trying to get generals or hankook v12s right now!

Would u recommend going for a softer dampe ing setting or would it become too bouncy? I dont track at all but would do an occasional adrenaline driven spurt though! Hehe!
what size wheels and tires do you plan on running? running a bigger profile definitely help with ride harshness.

whether you go with GR+ and LX+, im sure you can set it to where you're comfortable with it. the best part about these coilovers is that it is SO EASY to adjust dampening, with the turn of a ****. so it may take a little trial and error until you find the right setup for your streets.

the key to any coilover is getting it setup properly. there are many factors that play into role in the performance comfort of your coilovers. everything from camber, ride height, preload, dampening, rebound, etc...

i think for the Z33 application, Stance did a pretty good job with the valving where given their spring rates, you can still get a comfortable ride at a reasonable ride height.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bookmarking this thread. I've got GR+ coming soon (pre-ordered... hoping for a May delivery) but mine are the true type coil as opposed to the OEM style which I'll need to play with some. That description for those settings was actually great and we're not far off on wheel specs either (+15 for me all around) but 245 in the front instead of 255. Awesome!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Got some 20s on the way and still deciding on tires! Got some weaknoffsets so i can just space it out latenif need be! Got +24 front and +18 rear

Any suggestions on tires? Im currently thinking 245/35/20 f and 285/30/20 r! Fenders are already rolled!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by flipm3
I moved from the OE "Sport Suspension" to the Stance GR+ Plus Coilovers. They were night and day difference on many levels. In terms of performance, I noticed a big reduction in understeer and an improvement in controlled oversteer. With the coilovers, it felt much more stable mid-turn. Turn-in was much more precise and controlled. The car felt like it went where ever I pointed it to. The improved dampening and rebound led to much better correction in stability. Body roll was drastically reduced. In induced oversteer, I felt it was much easier to control and correct. Despite the rear having a progressive spring, I still found it fairly predictable during compression.

Overall, I found every aspect of performance controlled. These opinions are coming from aggressive street driving, autocross, and track events.

For daily street driving, I set it right around 7/15 both front and rear. I had the OE-Style coilovers and I found it fairly comfortable on the pot-holed filled street of Chicago. I had no complaints from any of my friends and family members.

For track, I bumped it up to around 12/15. I tried this on the street and it is fairly jarring, but actually bearable. For daily use, I would recommend going softer for sure.

I honestly can't remember the exact measurement, but I was pretty low. I was tucking tire front and back on the following wheel/tire setup:
Volk CE28N: 19x9.5 +12 19x10.5 +12
Toyo T1R: 255/35/19 275/35/19

For the track, I would raise the car slightly for better suspension geometry and travel.

I kept the standard specs that Stance provided. As I mentioned, I had the OE-style which had a progressive spring in the rear.

These are all based off of the GR+ Plus that I had. From my understanding, the biggest difference between the GR+ and the LX+ is the monotube design and spring rates. I can almost guarantee that if you get the LX+ you will have a very comfortable ride.

What I may ask is, what are your goals with getting a new suspension? Do you plan on tracking? Is your car primarily street driven? Is it for looks? etc

Hopefully this helps a little bit. Best of luck finding a suspension. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I love Stance's products so much, I'm running their coilovers on my E46 M3
I'm actually installing my GR+pros today and I'm trying to get an idea on what to set the rear at. I see u sed for daily street use u set it at 7/15. That 15 would mean full stiff in the rear correct? I'm tryin to figure out what to set rear at becuz I don't have the extenders to adjust them After there on. So u think full stiff in the rear would be best bet? Also did u use the helper springs or no?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by draco1020x
I'm actually installing my GR+pros today and I'm trying to get an idea on what to set the rear at. I see u sed for daily street use u set it at 7/15. That 15 would mean full stiff in the rear correct? I'm tryin to figure out what to set rear at becuz I don't have the extenders to adjust them After there on. So u think full stiff in the rear would be best bet? Also did u use the helper springs or no?
congrats on getting a great set of coilovers.

yes, 15/15 would be full stiff. personally, i think that would be way too stiff for me. if your car is primarily street driven, then i would go with 5-7/15.

the extenders are really worth getting and waiting for. if you haven't ordered a set, i recommend you pick up some. removing the rear shock isn't too difficult to uninstall/install, so you can get it at a later time. but for track and street tuning, it sure makes life a lot easier.

as i mentioned though, i would start off at the softer end of the spectrum. i believe i started out at 4/15, but then i bumped it up to 7/15. the 7 was noticeably stiffer. i also stiffened up the rear to increase oversteer and reduce understeer.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by flipm3
congrats on getting a great set of coilovers.

yes, 15/15 would be full stiff. personally, i think that would be way too stiff for me. if your car is primarily street driven, then i would go with 5-7/15.

the extenders are really worth getting and waiting for. if you haven't ordered a set, i recommend you pick up some. removing the rear shock isn't too difficult to uninstall/install, so you can get it at a later time. but for track and street tuning, it sure makes life a lot easier.

as i mentioned though, i would start off at the softer end of the spectrum. i believe i started out at 4/15, but then i bumped it up to 7/15. the 7 was noticeably stiffer. i also stiffened up the rear to increase oversteer and reduce understeer.
Thanks man. Yes the rear wuz my main concern seeing theres a lil more to adjusting them. I know the fronts can easily be adjusted under the hood so it's a bit easier to toy with. I'll most likely get the extenders later on tho. I'm just trying to minimize as much fine tuning in the rear as I can to ease the install a bit today. Is it really rough/bouncy with it set at 15 in the rear?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Thinking about getting these, did you end up getting them OP?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by fullvietFX
Thinking about getting these, did you end up getting them OP?
Its on its way! Ordered it quite some time ago but wasnt in the prior container stance shipped! Hopefully in 2 weeks!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Sweet let me know how it goes. I have basically the exact same car as you by the way. LOL

Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by fullvietFX
Sweet let me know how it goes. I have basically the exact same car as you by the way. LOL

Will do man! Ohhh nice!! Pics now! Hehe!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! STANCE LX current and former owners chime in