Suggestions or advice on lowering the coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions or advice on lowering the coupe

hey y'all
I just wondering what would be a good setup for my 05 G coupe on factory 19s 255/35/19 up front and 285/35/19 in the rear and the "sport tuned suspension"? I tried going through all this, and I am a total noob when it comes to this stuff....I was thinking either G35 Tien H-techs or the 350z H-techs as I don't want to go to low, but just improve handling a little and have a cleaner stance, but still have a comfortable ride and not be hindered by how low the car is...my buddy was on S-techs and he was scraping all the time , but he also had the 18 inch rims...thanks for any advice or suggestions (even other setups or smthg)

Old 04-16-2011, 07:36 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Best advice you'll get right here. "Don't waste your time with springs, get coilovers from the get go."

They offer a lot more benefits than just slamming your ride. They have springs and shocks designed to work together, most have adjustable dampening so you can set them up to ride exactly how you want, and of course they allow you to raise or lower your car whenever you like. Believe me I've been through 3 different springs and 2 types of shock/struts all the while ignoring that simple advice I was given at the time. A lot of us have made this mistake.

It might take you longer to save for coils but in the end it's worth it.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 PM
thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No worries.........

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gill,

Check out the link below, which will take you to what I posted regarding my research / choice; should take you directly to page 16 of the thread. Before & after pics included.

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...pdates-16.html

Without rehashing everything here, about 5000 miles ago I posted it, which was shortly after I did the Tein 350 H-Techs (in August 2010).

Needless to say, though there are many good choices, those would be my recommendation since you seem to want the same things I did.

And I'm totally satisfied with the ride/handling, etc...........stance, lack of bottoming out - everything.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 AM
hmmm, not bad at all....but now im considering the G35 s-techs. A friend of a friend of mine got the g35 s-techs and he loves it, said the ride even felt a bit smoother. Mind you he is on the stock 18s. I am also putting on an Ionic front lip (which is the same as the OEM one, just thicker at the ends). I'm wondering now with the S-techs specific to the G35, and running the oem 19s with 255/35 up front and 285/35 in the rear will I have to get the fenders rolled and am I going to need a camber kit and with the ionic lip, will it scrap?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
On a side note do you have any pics of these tires mounted on those wheels? I want to see how they look.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 AM
Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts
will you rub? no. not unless you put on spacers to push the rim out.

"needing" a camber kit is so...relative. you don't "need" them, but your front camber will change to roughly -1.0 to -1.5 and your rear will change to -1.5 to -2.0. when you get an alignment, just make sure your toe is close to 0 as possible if you're not going to run camber kits.

your lip won't scrape most speedbumps. i say most because some speedbumps turn into mt. everest when you get lower. gotta watch out when parking in front of curbs tho. that won't clear curbs anymore.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me, Gill, as I figure the S-Techs are specific to how YOU wanna customize your ride/handling balance or compromise. My thing was:

1. Keep spring rates as close to stock sport-pack suspension as possible, mainly to match upgraded shock tuning.
2. Avoid camber kit, all of which seemed to double the cost of the job.

Then again, that's just me.......I'm not DIY guy, though I probably made way more of the cost than warranted. Boiled down to pay now or pay later, quite frankly. Also, you'll notice below the S-Tech G35s have rates in the upper 200s, which I figure would be too soft.

OK, full disclosure..........I think I like stiffer springs. Keep hearing my ride is rough, but I'm oblivious to it. How much so? Lexus IS-F is one of my obsessions; already been in touch with the salesman. Need I say more?

OEM Sport Suspension
Same ride height as regular coupe suspension
Same spring rates in front (314 lbs)
24% rear spring rate increase (342 lbs to 427 lbs)

Tein H-tech 350z (fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
.8" Front / .7" Rear Drop
358/375 F+14% R+11%
Transfers +3% roll stiffness to front

Tein S-tech G35 coupe & sedan (fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
1.2" Front / .9" Rear Drop
358/274 R+14% R-18%
Transfers +32% roll stiffness to front

But that's the whole point. We're the drivers and we want our setups to be what we want them to be. That simple, not to mention, it might be kinda fun going thru all the data as we decide. Was for me.

Have fun, dude.

Originally Posted by GiLLG35
hmmm, not bad at all....but now im considering the G35 s-techs. A friend of a friend of mine got the g35 s-techs and he loves it, said the ride even felt a bit smoother. Mind you he is on the stock 18s. I am also putting on an Ionic front lip (which is the same as the OEM one, just thicker at the ends). I'm wondering now with the S-techs specific to the G35, and running the oem 19s with 255/35 up front and 285/35 in the rear will I have to get the fenders rolled and am I going to need a camber kit and with the ionic lip, will it scrap?
And Timmy makes a great point below, as much as I friggin obsessed about not wanting to get a camber kit. I know, sad, but true. (It was an unnecessary cost thing for me, albeit just a pay now-pay later decision.)

Anyway, nobody truly "needs" a camber kit. If we don't get one, we simply decide to live with the uneven tire wear and possibly replace tires more often, especially if you use open roads like your personal tracks & twisties (like me.) What's so tremendously bad about that? And why are you all holding up up a mirror to my face? (Be quiet, all of you's )

But there still are handling benefits - regarding a larger tire patch when cornering?....I hear, among others (I suspect).

Originally Posted by timmy4me
will you rub? no. not unless you put on spacers to push the rim out.

"needing" a camber kit is so...relative. you don't "need" them, but your front camber will change to roughly -1.0 to -1.5 and your rear will change to -1.5 to -2.0. when you get an alignment, just make sure your toe is close to 0 as possible if you're not going to run camber kits.

your lip won't scrape most speedbumps. i say most because some speedbumps turn into mt. everest when you get lower. gotta watch out when parking in front of curbs tho. that won't clear curbs anymore.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bozo954
Anyway, nobody truly "needs" a camber kit. If we don't get one, we simply decide to live with the uneven tire wear and possibly replace tires more often, especially if you use open roads like your personal tracks & twisties (like me.) What's so tremendously bad about that? And why are you all holding up up a mirror to my face? (Be quiet, all of you's )
just so gill doesn't freak out. lowering your car doens't mean youll have to replace tires more often. simply keep your toe as close to 0, so premature wear doesn't happen. and flip your tires every 5-7k to counter the inside camber wear. it'll lengthen the life of your tires drastically, and save you $700-$1k in tires every year. you'll still need to pay for flipping, balance, and a new alignment.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Hey, thanks for the clarification, Timmy ...........good info, dude. Which, needless to say, I can't say I knew.

Not to mention, shoulda spoke to you 'fore I started losing my mind over different springs, ultimately vaccilating between .4" more of a drop here, .3" there. OH MY GOD!! I know, Just make your mind up already!! Geez.

And my Zen Master told me about doing that sh--!! Turning a simple decision into that which it is not, i.e., a problem. So, your info will come in handy for the next vehicle.

just so gill doesn't freak out. lowering your car doens't mean youll have to replace tires more often. simply keep your toe as close to 0, so premature wear doesn't happen. and flip your tires every 5-7k to counter the inside camber wear. it'll lengthen the life of your tires drastically, and save you $700-$1k in tires every year. you'll still need to pay for flipping, balance, and a new alignment.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to threadjack, but I'm really hoping someone can help me out here since I have a related problem.

I switched to m45 19 inch rims with 30mm spacers all the way around, as well as g35 h-techs and tokico hp blue shocks. Normal driving is fine, however if the road is bumpy at all, I scrape. If I have people in the back, I scrape because of the weight. I didn't think this would be a problem when putting all this together, but I was wrong. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
I ran 350z h-techs for a year and they were awesome as far as a balance of slight drop, bit stiffer feel, and comfort. I ended up switching to coils for the additional drop and handling. If you are just looking for a slight drop and don't want to do the considerable jump to coils 350z htechs are a great choice. If you want/or in the future may want a bigger drop then save for coils.

I still have a set of 350z htechs, pm me if you are interested.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by Bozo954
Hey, thanks for the clarification, Timmy ...........good info, dude. Which, needless to say, I can't say I knew.

Not to mention, shoulda spoke to you 'fore I started losing my mind over different springs, ultimately vaccilating between .4" more of a drop here, .3" there. OH MY GOD!! I know, Just make your mind up already!! Geez.

And my Zen Master told me about doing that sh--!! Turning a simple decision into that which it is not, i.e., a problem. So, your info will come in handy for the next vehicle.
let me ask you this. are you on a budget of ~$300? if not, get some tein basics. they won't slam you, and you can adjust it if you happen to go to low to begin with. roughly 850 new, 600ish used. solves all your questions and concerns...maybe not your financial ones. o well. you gotta drop your car the right way. loll.
Originally Posted by g35brandon
Not to threadjack, but I'm really hoping someone can help me out here since I have a related problem.

I switched to m45 19 inch rims with 30mm spacers all the way around, as well as g35 h-techs and tokico hp blue shocks. Normal driving is fine, however if the road is bumpy at all, I scrape. If I have people in the back, I scrape because of the weight. I didn't think this would be a problem when putting all this together, but I was wrong. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks!
a few "no fat bishes. will scrape!" stickers should solve the problem.

or tell your future passengers to fast for 1 week if you're driving that day.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 AM
You raise an interesting question, Timothy, so lemme AXE you something. But first off, my budget is best described as the infamous don't be frickin dumba-- budget, albeit lacking in some vital information at the time. Made absolutely no sense to risk needing an $700-800 camber kit on a $400 set of springs..........nnno.

Me & the wife shot up to Disney on that savings, dawg! The kid in both we Floridians love the place, and - at occasional triple digit speeds in her S8 - we blast thru that 200 miles every chance we get...........@#*% a camber kit. We did Space Mountain 4 times in 2 days!! WOOOO!! My head is still spinning, but I digress.

That said, you've helped upgrade my database, so let's move on to bigger & better things: HOW TO IMPROVE THE RIDE OF THE BONE-JARRING LEXUS IS-F (assuming I deem it to stiff for daily driving, which I doubt.)

After doing a little research and finding the Tein Basic spec/function below, would a combo shock-spring setup like that allow me to improve the IS-F's ride?

Whatcha think?

Quite frankly, while I've never driven one I don't care to give the car mag editors too much credit for "hyping" the rough ride of the IS-F. I hear the same about Porsche 911s, Merc AMGs, Minis, some Audis, not to mention my G sport-suspension is allegedly rough (really?). And I hear no owners beetchin' & moanin' about it.

Anyway, dude, please share some knowledge. Better still, if you owned that suped-up IS, what you try?

Oh, consider a wheel upgrade to 20" in your 'technical analysis'?

The TEIN Type Basic coilover is the absolute best entry level coilover available on the market! Unlike the cheaper coilovers that slider over your existing shocks, these are complete shock and spring replacements that are balanced and engineered for each other to give you a great ride and awesome handling! These coilovers come with pre engineered shocks for each unique vehicle to maximize suspension travel and dampening force. The TEIN Type Basic coilover is height adjustable, but the shocks are non adjustable.

The TEIN Type Basic coilovers are an excellent entry level coilover that takes the guesswork out of modifying your suspension! These complete coilovers come with both shocks and springs so you do not have to worry about your shocks blowing out because your car is too low, or finding the correct shock to support your aftermarket springs. Both the coilover springs and the shocks are made to be used together, offer a great balanced ride, and lets you adjust just how low you want the car. The TEIN Basics do not come with adjustable shocks, but you can still adjust the height quickly and easily!

let me ask you this. are you on a budget of ~$300? if not, get some tein basics. they won't slam you, and you can adjust it if you happen to go to low to begin with. roughly 850 new, 600ish used. solves all your questions and concerns...maybe not your financial ones. o well. you gotta drop your car the right way. loll.

a few "no fat bishes. will scrape!" stickers should solve the problem.

or tell your future passengers to fast for 1 week if you're driving that day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions or advice on lowering the coupe