Does this look like a torn compression rod bushing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does this look like a torn compression rod bushing?

Been having a very light vibration while driving, especially over 70 mph. Decided to look at the bushings on the compression rods since so many people have problems with them and here is what i saw. To me it looks torn but I wanted to get your guys opinion.

Name:  null-6.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  88.2 KB

Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Do u see any fluid oozing out? Can't tell by pic.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by lsmooth81
I'm not sure if bushings are supposed to have fluid in them. I thought they were just made of rubber.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
doesnt look torn. when i changed mine there wasnt any fluid in it, just solid rubber. usually if its torn it will be slid all the way to the top or bottom also and wont be centric like in the pic.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of the bushings do have liquidy substance inside, For example, the rear subfram diffrential.

As far as yours, I am concerned about that black stuff, it looks fresh and darker color then the rest of the bushing. Therefore, I KIND OF think it looks torn.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by mrgrey
Some of the bushings do have liquidy substance inside, For example, the rear subfram diffrential.

As far as yours, I am concerned about that black stuff, it looks fresh and darker color then the rest of the bushing. Therefore, I KIND OF think it looks torn.
I agree, the darker color looks like fresh rubber which makes me believe its a tear.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by jdm-v35
doesnt look torn. when i changed mine there wasnt any fluid in it, just solid rubber. usually if its torn it will be slid all the way to the top or bottom also and wont be centric like in the pic.
I don't think it looks centered. It looks more to the right rather than centered.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by akogan79
I'm not sure if bushings are supposed to have fluid in them. I thought they were just made of rubber.
When my bushings went bad they had a black thick liquid oozing out. I had the same liquid on my compressions rod bushings and my rear differential bushings. I asked Infiniti and they stated that the liquid is a sign that it crack and require replacement. It could be possible that when you changed your bushings were bad for a while and almost all fluid had drained out.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Here is some more info on it, there is a TSB on it. If you have warranty it should be cover

http://trueler.com/wp/wp-content/upl...ITB08-013a.pdf

FYI, infinitihelp.com has pdf file of all TSB for our car

Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Let's try to clear up things here.

Originally Posted by lsmooth81
Compression rod bushings are NOT liquid filled.

Originally Posted by akogan79
Yes. CR bushings are rubber only.

To answer the OP questions, this bushing in the picture posted is torn pretty badly.

Yes, rear subrame, diff are fluid filled.

Yes, this is why we can confirm it's torn.

Felt this was needed, there was alot of confusion in this thread.

IF the ball joints on the compression are still good, replace these with the energy suspension or whitleline compression rob bushings.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Just to reiterate, CR bushings are NOT liquid filled. The only bushing on our cars that has a liquid substance is the rear differential bushing.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys, I figured it was torn. I have extended warranty so it should be covered under it. Will give the dealer a call tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully they'll replace it under warranty because nissan/infiniti dont replace just the bushing alone, they replace the whole arm. As for aftermarket replacements go, i would stay away from energy bushings. Their compression bushing is just bad with an obvious lack of r&d. The energy bushings just fit but dont let the arm articulate the way Nissan intended them to. This eventually leads to a cracked or heavily worn energy bushing and now youre back at step 1.

I would get the Whiteline bushing. Unlike energy, whiteline actually puts some good thought into their design and designed their bushing to articulate correctly. If youre more into racey car parts you can try the SPL bearing which i personally have on my g. Instead of a soft-ish material that stretches, the SPL part is a metallic spherical bearing that articulates freely without binding whatsoever unlike the whiteline or OEM bushing. Usually spherical bearing replacements will roughen up the ride of your car but i've had mine for 2 months with a daily commute of beaten up streets and i havent noticed too much of a difference in comfort, just handling. The car is much more responsive when steering now!

hope this helps

Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Just picked up my car from the dealer. Got the compression rods replaced on both sides and also replaced one taillight because one of the LED'S wasn't working. The bill was $1226. Unbelievable. Thank god for that extended warranty, it only cost me $100. At first when I dropped of my car off at the dealer, it sat there all day only to have the dealer call me and say nothing was wrong with my compression rod bushings. Idiots only looked at the bottom side and didn't bother looking at the top. I had to come down there to show it to them. Hopefully this will get rid of the vibration I feel at highway speed.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Dude!!!!! That is so high, how do they justify it?
I agree. That is crazy expensive. Their labor rate is $130 an hour.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does this look like a torn compression rod bushing?