how did you fix clicking noise from rear axle??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by realgone
You will hear it when you accelerate and decelerate.
I hear it when i go over hard bumbs. or make turn on a rough road.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:39 AM
hey i can't exactly determine where my clicking noise is coming from.......but it clicks when i accelerate and also when im coming to a stop.......im guessing that this noise IS the rear axle??????? thanks guys~

Old 08-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
Originally Posted by pdjafari
guys who had this problem with aftermarket wheels, did you put ur stockers back on b4 taking it to the dealer??? im wondering if they maaay try to get out of performing the fix by voiding the warranty stating that my aftermarket 19s are heavier than stock thereby causing the loosened axel?!?! I think i'll put my 18s back on b4 going in for this fix....
I have Volks on my car. I took it in a couple of weeks ago to get fixed after driving two hours and making an appointment 1 month in advance. They new I was coming, but the parts were back ordered and so I drove two hours for nothing and have to go back again.

They only comment they made about my Volks, was if they were new and how good they looked. Should not be a problem. I even said something to the service manageer when I made the appointment, asking if aftermarket wheels would cause the problem, he said, Oh not that would not affect it.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:04 PM
i had the same problems, it was the brake pads.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
Originally Posted by GFN-G35
i had the same problems, it was the brake pads.
I think you are describing a different problem. Mine is definately the rear axel. The dealer has heard it and conformed it. Just waiting on parts.

Infiniti has a note or some sort of memorandum sent out to dealerships about this noise and how to repair/replace the rear axel. Sound like a fairly common problem.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a very common problem on the Z's as well. As a matter of fact my car is at the dealership getting this fixed as we speak. Like mentioned in earlier posts just print out the TSB and bring it to the dealer

Old 08-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by realgone
You will hear it when you accelerate and decelerate.
hmm.. then mine is a different issue... -_-

Thanks for the info though

Old 08-06-2005, 07:02 PM
I get the one time click or pop normally when going up an incline. It almost sounds like body flex but it occurs only from the rear right wheel area.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I get the one time click or pop normally when going up an incline. It almost sounds like body flex but it occurs only from the rear right wheel area.
i get that too and it rings to my ceiling as well i think but the dealership couldnt figure out that problem...

Old 08-07-2005, 06:24 AM
grrr this is embarrasing!! a $40k car should not do this!

parts backordered.. dealer told me to call them this monday

Old 08-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaDdFLaSheR
grrr this is embarrasing!! a $40k car should not do this!

parts backordered.. dealer told me to call them this monday
LOL Should a 90K car have oil leaks. My 996 had RMS leaks that required the seals to be replaced. Should a $60K car's engine last more than 5K miles? My '02 M3's engine blew after only 3K miles.

So after these experiences I think I can learn to deal with clicking sounds from my $35K G.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Widdle ya into kindling
All cars need maintenance.
You should feel lucky you don't have an American car or VW, Audi, BMW, to name a few. Those cars have serious probs, just pick up a copy of Consumer Reports sometime. I don't think any car is perfect, but some are better than others.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Ok here we go, I think I can almost speak as the resident expert on this... I've had my car in for it 3 times now (Once more and I lemon it, yay)

As for it being the brakes, no that is a completley differnt NON problem. The squeaking/ticking from the brakes is due to the fact that our car uses floating calipers. Brake float will occasionally occur and you'll hear a light ticking or squealing noise when you get on the brakes LIGHTLY. Once you break the threshold with the brakes where they are engaged hard enough, this will stop. I have been told by two mechanics and the infiniti service department @ circle infinti, this is NOT a problem, it's just a perk of dealing with brembos.

As for the rear axle...... each time I went in, they replaced differnt things.

1st time in - Replaced the primary piece of the axle on both sides, regreased everything else, retorqued everything back there to spec.

Fixed? Yeah... for about 5,000-8000 miles (2 months)

2nd time in - Replaced both Tie rod ends, both sides control arms, new rear sway bar, regrease rear axle, retorque to spec.

Fixed? Yeah... again, for about 5000-8000 miles (2 months)

3rd time (bout 4 weeks ago) - Replaced both wheel bearings and tie rods, regreased and retorqued to spec.

Fixed? We will see, however, I have to say the car feels alot better now with the new bearings.

Honestly, I dont think theyll ever completely cure this problem. I go in for warranty work so much over this car I cant believe it. I have 12 seperate issues all documented (2 drivetrain, 10 electrical) over 5 trips in for warranty work. For 35K, if thats the "value you get on your dollar" then let me just tell you, Im glad our cars hold pretty high resale value.

Also, someone mentioned the loud click when coming to a stop from a slow roll in first. That noise is your throw out bearing. Our stock one is about as good at its job as the rear axles wheel bearings. Nissan has documented TSB's over the throw out bearing causing premature damage to transmissions, but hey, we drive an Infiniti, so were better than that right? I' ve tried everything short of blackmail to get them to pull my tranny and look at it (I get the same noise occasionally) but they said, until it starts SQUEALING UPON CLUTCH RELEASE IN EVERY GEAR, they cannot document it has a problem because of an occasional tick. Pretty dick huh? Yeah... Im glad I bought my first "luxury" car @ 21. Makes ya learn to drink quite a bit after realizing your paying 35k for a car that is shaping up to be more of a service nightmare than a BMW.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by FAST1
LOL Should a 90K car have oil leaks. My 996 had RMS leaks that required the seals to be replaced. Should a $60K car's engine last more than 5K miles? My '02 M3's engine blew after only 3K miles.

So after these experiences I think I can learn to deal with clicking sounds from my $35K G.
well what i mean is that my car only has 8k miles and i already have four major issues with my car that i need to get fixed. two of which the dealers wont touch because they "cannot replicate" the situation

Old 08-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wonder if the my '05 will have these issues with the clicking noise :\ Only time will tell. If not, then I guess not having Brembo's and having the extra HP's on the 05's is worth it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: how did you fix clicking noise from rear axle??