G35 Front Strut Tower brace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarFanatic56
so will it fit a z-tube with JWT popcharger?
Yes it will............perfectly.

This STB is made to fit almost any CAI and filter.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott: I've read your reviews over on FreshAlloy about you driving Ed's car on the track with the STB. I remember reading that it stiffened up the front part of the chasis so much that it was creating understeer problems and that you guys perhaps had to run the rear sway full stiff.

Well as we all know, Ed's car is considerably modified in the suspension area. My track setup would be more moderate. Tokico D-Specs shocks with '03 OEM 350Z springs, 235/45/17 Toyo RA-1s all around, Stillen sway bars set at Med/Med, Cusco adjustable A-arms set to ~ -2.5 camber up front. Knowing this info, could you comment on how much of an effect the VRT STB would have on my setup and what type of suspension tuning adjustments I would have to make. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dklau33
Scott: I've read your reviews over on FreshAlloy about you driving Ed's car on the track with the STB. I remember reading that it stiffened up the front part of the chasis so much that it was creating understeer problems and that you guys perhaps had to run the rear sway full stiff.

Well as we all know, Ed's car is considerably modified in the suspension area. My track setup would be more moderate. Tokico D-Specs shocks with '03 OEM 350Z springs, 235/45/17 Toyo RA-1s all around, Stillen sway bars set at Med/Med, Cusco adjustable A-arms set to ~ -2.5 camber up front. Knowing this info, could you comment on how much of an effect the VRT STB would have on my setup and what type of suspension tuning adjustments I would have to make. Thanks.
WOW someone is very observant.
Great question, I am glad you asked.
This, "my comment on Ed's car's understeering" might have gotten a little blown out of proportion. Upon further review, the STB did not "cause" Ed's car to understeer. The first thing we came across after evaluating the test session on this car was the Tien (cockpit) adjustable shocks where frozen (from water rusting them out) and they did not work or adjust properly. Another thing we need to take into consideration is that on this particular car, we are running a slightly narrower tire up front and a wider rear tire than we are used to running on most of our VRT prepped cars. These things alone did, and will contribute to a understeer characteristic of a car. (I also prefer a slightly looser "oversteering" type car than most feel comfortable with )

After sorting out and addressing some of the problems in Ed's car and trying a STB in my car (with no other added adjustments) and in a clients car, it is obvious that this brace makes a drastic improvement in limiting or eliminating torsional twist and chassis flex on these cars, giving them much better feel and a more precise steering on turn in.

I would highly recommend a STB of some sort in these (G35) cars, it lets your suspension do its job without any (un welcomed) added flex from your chassis.

dklau33, Your suspension set-up is one I am very familiar with (BTW, good choice). I could honestly recommend this STB mod to you and am sure you will be happy with it. Some adjustments might be needed after installing this brace, but all in all well worth the overall outcome.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Scott, thanks for clearing that up. That really explains a lot and like you said, you're not the average driver and prefer a more "oversteery" car.

The one thing I love about this product is that it was made by someone who has a racing background and thus it is fully functional and not about the bling. As soon as the bar is confirmed to fit the sedan I'll be emailing you.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:21 AM
any pics of the standard black color for the fstb?

Old 03-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned
It Fits The Sedan

This morning I test-fitted this front strut tower brace on a G35 sedan. The brace fits great, just as it does on the coupes, without any needed modifications.
If your car is still using the stock air intake and the plastic engine cover (I would assume that these would be the first things to go) You still will need to get rid of, or cut the stock flimsey plastic engine cover for clearance. (I don't know why someone would want to keep that cheap looking, heat trapping cover on their car in the first place ) This brace fits better with some type of a cold air intake, the restrictive stock air box is kinda in the way of the mounts on the drivers side. Other than that, everything is great and these braces bolt right on and fit on both the coupe and the sedan great.

Last edited by wa2good; 03-10-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
I ditched the engine cover long time ago but I'm still using the stock intake box. Can you give a little more detail about how the stock intake is "kinda" in the way of the mount on the drivers side? Bottomline, will the mount rub against the stock air box? If so then I'll prolly go JWT Popcharger. Thanks Scott.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dklau33
I ditched the engine cover long time ago but I'm still using the stock intake box. Can you give a little more detail about how the stock intake is "kinda" in the way of the mount on the drivers side? Bottomline, will the mount rub against the stock air box? If so then I'll prolly go JWT Popcharger. Thanks Scott.
Yes, the stock intake box will rub against the STB if it is not slightly modified to clear it. The best way to go is with the JWT pop charger, If you are planning on doing that (CAI) anyways, that would be a perfect fit. PM me I might be able to save you a little money with a package deal. (POP charger and STB)

Old 03-10-2006, 11:54 PM
I have atm a nismo aka aem cai installed with a 1/2 md spacer. I will be boosting my car soon with either a vortech sc or a st w/ kinetix plenum. I want to know If this stb will fit on my current setup & will if fit on my future setup & if not what would I have to modify to make it work....thanks.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dubs
I have atm a nismo aka aem cai installed with a 1/2 md spacer. I will be boosting my car soon with either a vortech sc or a st w/ kinetix plenum. I want to know If this stb will fit on my current setup & will if fit on my future setup & if not what would I have to modify to make it work....thanks.
It will fit right now with your CAI and the spacer, but not too sure once you add the Vortech or the ST. It will however, go on most TT set ups and I have desighned one to fit a Stillen SC.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:22 AM
Banned
I am selling these things as fast as I can make them......................

Old 03-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Scott

Where's mine

Lou

Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 AM
If lowrider gets one it must be good

If lou is ponying up for one then I am all in. Now only if I could get a shipping quote to 40222 then I would be able to have one some time next month!

Please PM a quote so I know what to pay and how! Or do I have to do the phone thingy.

Thanks,

Old 03-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by lowrider
Scott

Where's mine

Lou
Yours should be shipping Friday.
Sorry, the powder coater has been backed up.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by HillBilly
If lou is ponying up for one then I am all in. Now only if I could get a shipping quote to 40222 then I would be able to have one some time next month!

Please PM a quote so I know what to pay and how! Or do I have to do the phone thingy.

Thanks,
Sounds good, You can e-mail me with the spacifics..........

wa2good@hotmail.com

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Front Strut Tower brace