Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

08 Rebates on G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Rebates on G35 Sedan

What are the chances they will offer the $3000 in conjunction with .9% financing closer to when the G37 sedans hit the dealers? Or maybe they will offer the Conquest rebate again??

Looking seriously to buy, but wonder if i should wait a few more weeks. Local dealer has two cars exactly as I want.

Last edited by cgibson1254; 09-09-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
slim to none is my guess. /edit misread your post - thought you meant rebates 09 G37s. i think there might be some moneys thrown at the buyers to clear out 08s.

Last edited by codeflux; 09-11-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Rebates

As I understand it, the 3k is manufacturer to dealer incentive and does not take the form of a customer rebate. As far as getting a dealer to offer that discount in the price and .9%, I'd forget the 3k. Figure your lowest price, knowing today a dealer said their 09's would be on lot by first of Oct, maybe 1 week earlier so you'll be buying a year old car by anyone's fair measure, negotiate the deal. 36 list, go to invoice less 3 less whatever you think a 1 year old car should be discounted. He'll do the 'if we do this price, will you buy the car today', you say 'yes'. When he gets to the paperwork tell him you'll finance at the .9% rate. If he says he can't, walk. Infinity USA leaned on dealers to load up on g's and m's in spring when cars stopped selling. There's a glut so make it fit your needs.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I went up to the local Infiniti dealership this past weekend just to look around and they had 5-6 08 G35x's. On the window it said $32,495 but they were all Premiums and the MSRP was at $38.5+ so it looks like locally they are offering a bunch off on the 08's.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM
overstock.com

Yeah, in Chicago here one dealer with 70, one with 50, other with 45, one has mostly x's. This is apples/oranges but the local Chysler dealer has 2 300's and 09 300's are identical to 08's unlike 08 vs 09 g's. Local dealer has 4 08 CTS's, etc. I'd guess there are 250 1 year old "new" g's looking for a home between 6 dealers and I'd also guess this is first time they've faced this with G's.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by coveredbridge
As I understand it, the 3k is manufacturer to dealer incentive and does not take the form of a customer rebate. As far as getting a dealer to offer that discount in the price and .9%, I'd forget the 3k. Figure your lowest price, knowing today a dealer said their 09's would be on lot by first of Oct, maybe 1 week earlier so you'll be buying a year old car by anyone's fair measure, negotiate the deal. 36 list, go to invoice less 3 less whatever you think a 1 year old car should be discounted. He'll do the 'if we do this price, will you buy the car today', you say 'yes'. When he gets to the paperwork tell him you'll finance at the .9% rate. If he says he can't, walk. Infinity USA leaned on dealers to load up on g's and m's in spring when cars stopped selling. There's a glut so make it fit your needs.
That is why you still don't have a G35. You can't expect the dealer to be able to do both, when Infiniti doesn't allow for it.

Program rules SPECIFICALLY say one or the other. Do you really expect the dealer to lose 3k+ to sell you a car?

Do you want to sell me your home for 20% under market value? I didn't think so.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Rebates

In fact, the reason I do not own an 08 g, which would be the least expensive of my cars and only of interest because my wife turns 50 and likes this model, has more to do with value differential betwee 08 and 09's. It is true that some buyers are stretching and underestimate the lower value of a 1 year old 'new' car. I don't seek a deal on an 08, only make the observation that a significant gap in value exists. And, if you read my response, you would note my suggestion to "forget the 3k". If Nissan says you can't have both, you can't have both. I'm fine with that however it does not change the value of the car on Sept 25th. If cars do not loose significant value when the public shift interest to a new or different model, why are new large SUV's selling at 40% discounts? There's a wonderful freedom in this exercise: What's the worst that can happen? So, rather than waiting for an 09 37G listing at $37,500 that goes at Costco discount, offer a dealer loaded with $37,200 08's a price of $30,000. The worst that can happen is nothing to you but to the dealer, hanging onto a year old car into winter. Remember, the guy who offers the homeowner in trouble a low but market-fair price for his home is the solution, not the problem. If one is looking for villains, who floorplanned too many g and for what motivation? It was not to offer value to buyers.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:10 PM
08's

To further the dicussion, I stopped by 2 local dealers yesterday who's inventories of 08 G's are large, explaining I am interested in 09 37's sedan. In different ways both asked why not 08's (they, like I would, want to sell a car today, not in 2-3 weeks). I explained the content improvements and that it was the current model year, not last year's model. Both approached the subject of pricing on 08's differently but in the end offered close to the same story on discounts. I responded that their discounts might be something I'd consider on 09's in 2 weeks but certainly not 08's. I suggested to both 08 journey/premium at 20% off window plus TTL. Both rejected, I accepted their right to sell their inventory for their price but also obtained their assurance they would not call me unless they were at my price.

I have 2 calls to return from this morning. I can't be sure they are at my price but I'll wait because the cars will be worth less in 2 weeks.

I paid close to sticker for my Boxster S a few years ago. It's not about pounding someone or being cheap. It's determining fair value relative to market conditions and timing.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
That is why you still don't have a G35. You can't expect the dealer to be able to do both, when Infiniti doesn't allow for it.

Program rules SPECIFICALLY say one or the other. Do you really expect the dealer to lose 3k+ to sell you a car?

Do you want to sell me your home for 20% under market value? I didn't think so.
You can expect the dealer to do both eventually even if they have to take the hit themselves. It all depends on who is better at the waiting game or in other words who needs to have or sell the car less.

Inventory that is not moving is inventory that is costing a dealer money in the long run. Not having a entry level luxury item is not costing the consumer any money if he happens to have enough working vehicles in his possession.

Let me ask you, if you had 60 G35s right now and you know you couldn't possibly sell them all by end of September, would you let them go at the end of October for under invoice? If no one wanted them, how long would it take you to decide to consider those cars a significant loss and try to unload them for thousands below invoice?

For example, in the beginning of August, I was shopping around for a V8 4Runner Sport Edition and many dealers have 2-3 of them instock in my area. But there are LITERALLY no buyers. I offered each dealer $32.0kOTD for them when they invoice at 32.0k and I told them I wanted to finance at 0%. After a month and a half of Toyota running a 0% for 60month incentive, the inventory is STILL the same. At the end of this month, I'll call them again and make the same offer. If it doesn't work, I'll call them at the end of October and play the same game. I'll keep playing this until they realize that I'm the only buyer in the state and they're going to lose money on this sale no matter what...the question is do you want to lose it now or do you want to lose it 1-2 months down the road. BTW, this 4Runner isn't a necessity. I just bought an 08 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT within the past month. I'm out looking for deals...

Last edited by Polo08816; 09-11-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
response

That's exactly it, its not some game of win and lose. Try to buy a Challenger Hemi from a dealer today. He sets the price, you respond. I bought a car in the last days of October on that year's model (next year models on the lot). Incentives for salesman, dealer, sales mgr often make end of month opportune. Salesman was happy, I was happy. I returned to pick up the car the evening of the last day of the month while a customers was declaring "O.K. Who wants to sell a car tonight". He knew the incentives program. His manner challenged the salespeople in a bad way. He tried for a while, then left. Salesman said to me "We need a couple more cars tonight to make some numbers. We'd be able to make a great deal for him and still come out better financially. But he killed his chances the minute he said that." Selling cars is a tough job. It's customers like that and salesman who look at it as a game and managers unwilling to accept the reduced value of their inventory who make it worse for all. If you have time, this is a great story:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Received 222 Likes on 155 Posts
I was thinking of buying a hail damaged/repaired "new" car due to outragous discounts. I ended up passing on it though.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:49 PM
How to find out rebate/incentive changes?

Any way to find out when they offer new rebates/incentives? Do you have to rely on the dealer to let you know? I know when they had the Conquest cash, they did not report that on Edmunds. Does Infiniti normally changes these at the first of each month, or will they do it at any time?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Rebates

As 09's start rolling onto lots next week, dealers, some of whom were squeezed by Infinity to take more 08's this past spring, some who were just offered special deals and thought they'd make some extra margin, will make deals. In my experience, manufacturers give dealers tools to move inventory prior to next year arrivals. They often set an end to rebates in efforts to force dealers to bite the bullet and sell off old stock. If the dealers are unable/unwilling to move stock and yell loud enough (and don't order 09's), manufacturers often create new short-term rebates. I know 1 dealer who sat on an 05 into 07. General mgr refused to allow sales mgr to take it off his monthly nut. If he sold it for the needed 8-10k loss, he and his staff would miss monthly, quarterly incentives. General blamed sales for failing to find a home for it during rebate time. So it sat, not sure where it ended up.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There are still new 06 and 05 cars out there...

Why do you think I had the 199/mo lease special? Yes, we did take a loss on those cars. Congrats to the guys and gal that took advantage of the special; I now have a minimal inventory of G sedans on my lot. (less than 10, but I can always trade).