Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Proper process for buying a used car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Proper process for buying a used car?

I've found a used g35 coupe I like a few states away.

I want to know, what's the proper process in buying it?

If I pay cashier's check, the seller is saying he will mail me the title, but shouldn't I get it in my hands?

I don't think there is a way to cancel a cashier's check unless I bring in the original.

Now, how about tags? He says I can bring them off another car. Is this right, or do I need to get a temporary tag from my DMV?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I take it you're not planning on going there to get it?

I definitely wouldn't hand over a cashier's check without the title. As far as tags, get a temp tag.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by kernel
I take it you're not planning on going there to get it?

I definitely wouldn't hand over a cashier's check without the title. As far as tags, get a temp tag.
Sorry if I was unclear. I am going to meet him in person to buy it.

That's why I was a little confused by his process.

Also, thanks to the mods for moving this to the right section.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on what state you are buying it from and what state you live in. Can you give us this information?

Typically, you would go to your dmv, get a temporary tag, drive up, exchange money and get the title (certain states require it to be notarized -ex. pa) and then drive it home. Your current car insurance should cover you for the trip, however you should verify that.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm in DE and buying from VA.

The process you said is what I've been leaning towards. I'm not sure if I need it notarized?

My main concern: will the DMV give me a temp tag w.o the title? Also, if I don't buy the car, I don't want to waste money on the temp tag.

The seller told me I can use tags from another car. I've also heard that I can just drive back w/o tags as long as I have the title and bill of sale (according to AAA, I have a 30-day grace period).

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
DE? Nice, where at? I am in Newark, DE and just picked up a car from PA. DE dmv will give you a 5 day temp tag with proof of insurance, vin, and model make and year.

http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/vehic...outstate.shtml

I didn't need the title or bill of sale to get the temporary tag at the dmv.

Having the title notarized was a pa thing, part of their process. It doesn't seem like va requires that.

I am not sure about driving with no tags or taking tags from another vehicle, to me that doesn't sound right, but getting a temp tag was easy enough that i just went that route to have no worries.

Shoot me a call if you have more questions 215-896-1817

Last edited by 240driver39; 04-03-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Oh wow, didn't think I would find anyone in DE, let alone Newark.

I'm in Hockessin and a student at UD.

If you don't mind me asking, where in PA did you find your car (dealer?) and was it a g35? If I could find a deal closer, that would be nice.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:49 PM
ah nice, my gf is a grad student at UD and i work for DuPont in wilmington.

I got my car from a private seller, pretty lucky and got a great deal. Are you new to g35s? Could give you some insight based on my hunt. What are you looking for exactly?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Here's what I'm currently looking at:

2005 black/black g35 coupe
Only package I think is the sports one -- 19" rims and spoiler
Tires have 2000 miles on them
64k miles

He's asking $15k, non-negotiable. I think it's a good deal since KBB is $15.2k in fair condition.

Only thing is, I don't know how much the economy factors into the price.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
private seller?

As a comparison, i got my 2005 diamond graphite/stone coupe for $18.2 with 20k, overall in great shape with all the bells and whistles.

I was looking for lower miles, so i am honestly not sure what the 50-60k plus vehicles are going for. Are you stretching to get to the 15k range?

I didn't really see a huge economy factor, but then again i'm not a great negotiator. From a guy i was working with who goes to the auctions, i have a decent feel for pricing, and he said they were going for more lately there.

Bdubs time...hit me up on aim if you want (s13driver39)

Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah, private seller.

Miles aren't a big deal to me, but my budget is right around $15k.

I know I can get an 03 with lower miles (someone is selling one in MD) but I really like that I'm getting the update dinterior+gauges of an 05. Also, the 05 does have nice rims. The seller has also tinted the windows to 20%, which is exactly what I wanted.

Really, I feel like it's the right car at the right price.

You may be right about g35 prices. On top of that, the supply is pretty low in the DE area, making it harder.

I really was hoping I would be able to get one from a local dealer since apparently dealers are practically giving cars away, based on the news.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Every dealer i talked to when i was looking at the g was not practically giving the car away. So i am not sure how valid that info is...at least in the NE. I narrowed my search to 05+, just preferred them over the 03/04s as well.

Miles may not be a big deal, but in my opinion its important that the owner has good service records in that case, especially since your close to the expiration of the powertrain warranty. Was he the original owner?

Last edited by 240driver39; 04-03-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by 240driver39
Every dealer i talked to when i was looking at the g was not practically giving the car away. So i am not sure how valid that info is...at least in the NE. I narrowed my search to 05+, just preferred them over the 03/04s as well.

Miles may not be a big deal, but in my opinion its important that the owner has good service records in that case, especially since your close to the expiration of the powertrain warranty. Was he the original owner?
Well most of the other cars (non-g35c) I looked at were priced under KBB private party fair at most dealers.

I agree that mileage is important, I meant it's not a priority for me.

Unfortunately, he is the 2nd owner and only had the car for one year. He does have all of his records, but not for the previous person.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey,

I'm from PA as well and have been looking for a 05 or up g35coupe. Wow, how far are you driving to get this baby? It seems to me in order to get good deals you have to go pretty far.

I've been looking in the tri-state area but honestly I'm not finding any great deals here. If you guys have any tips on searching for an 05-06 manual with low mileage thats under 20k lemme know. I'd really appreciate it. I'm willing to go on a roadtrip to find one

Good luck with the car dude. I hope everything works out.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I'm willing to drive 3 hrs max.

I'm really surprised there aren't better deals in the Philly area.

I suggest checking out NY - Long Island, NY City, and the surrounding area. I found quite a few up there.

Try cars.com with a large radius (150 miles). This works pretty well, but I found a ton more looking on craigslists in those major cities.

I know how you feel though, the tri-state area has quite a drought of g35's...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Proper process for buying a used car?