Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Thinking of buying a G coupe in the next six months-ish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying a G coupe in the next six months-ish

My current car--a 2000 Xterra with 189k miles--doesn't have much life left in it. I'm making decent money now, and the G35 is really the car that I've wanted for a very long time. Now I'm putting some serious thought into buying a used one. I've got a few questions, though, and I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

First, while I'm open to any year depending on condition and mileage, I'm gravitating towards the 2006 model--they seem to consistently be in the sweet spot for balance between price and mileage. Anything specific I should be aware of for that model? Is that when they started having the keyless ignition?

Second, I really can't imagine buying the car if it has an automatic transmission. From the research I've done, the 6MT model is much rarer. What's the percentage of them that are manual? And is that a thing I should expect to pay more for?

Finally, what's the life expectancy on these things? I've seem cars with mileages from as low as 39k to as high as 150k. How many miles can someone reasonably expect to get out of these things before the maintenance starts being completely ridiculous? My Xterra--which was two-years old and had 36k when I got it--has literally been in the shop for something other than relatively routine maintenance only twice. Do the Gs, which are basically fancy Nissans, do just as well?

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just go for an 07!
Keep it maintained and try not to beat on it relentlessly and you should be fine!!!
Manuals are cheaper in price i believe too....i drive a 04 automatic and when i was searching the manuals seemed cheaper in price to me....

Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by southstar3
Just go for an 07!
Keep it maintained and try not to beat on it relentlessly and you should be fine!!!
Manuals are cheaper in price i believe too....i drive a 04 automatic and when i was searching the manuals seemed cheaper in price to me....
This may change depending on what area you live. I've been looking for a G coupe for quite awhile, and the automatics are substantially more affordable and a LOT more plentiful. Considering mileage, condition and price range, if I even considered owning a 5AT I could buy one today. However, for me, it's 6MT or bust. And coming across one that has the mileage, condition and price range that I'm comfortable with has been a lot more difficult.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Bynum
This may change depending on what area you live. I've been looking for a G coupe for quite awhile, and the automatics are substantially more affordable and a LOT more plentiful. Considering mileage, condition and price range, if I even considered owning a 5AT I could buy one today. However, for me, it's 6MT or bust. And coming across one that has the mileage, condition and price range that I'm comfortable with has been a lot more difficult.
This is the same sort of situation I'm in right now. There are two 2006 coupes on lots in my town (Madison, WI). The dealers are asking about $20k, and I'm sure they would come down substantially. Both have under 40k miles. I've test driven them and they're really in very good shape. But both of them have the automatics, and that's just a complete dealbreaker for me. I had thought that it might be acceptable until I test drove a 350Z on another lot that's got 10k miles where the dealer's asking $20k--the manual is just so much more fun. I couldn't live with the automatic. Plus the tiptronic mode on it is just pathetic.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
A 06 6MT will have a Rev-up motor which can possible have oil consumption issues. Make sure you check out the car and ask for a carfax and service history to see if the car has a replaced motor.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zapp2012
This is the same sort of situation I'm in right now. There are two 2006 coupes on lots in my town (Madison, WI). The dealers are asking about $20k, and I'm sure they would come down substantially. Both have under 40k miles. I've test driven them and they're really in very good shape. But both of them have the automatics, and that's just a complete dealbreaker for me. I had thought that it might be acceptable until I test drove a 350Z on another lot that's got 10k miles where the dealer's asking $20k--the manual is just so much more fun. I couldn't live with the automatic. Plus the tiptronic mode on it is just pathetic.
I was in the same boat as you. I was stuck on a manual and I found 2 total to test drive in about 3 months. I ended up finding everything I wanted but it was an Auto. I decided to settle and haven't looked back since. I've actually really enjoyed the automatic

Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by TheBigG
I was in the same boat as you. I was stuck on a manual and I found 2 total to test drive in about 3 months. I ended up finding everything I wanted but it was an Auto. I decided to settle and haven't looked back since. I've actually really enjoyed the automatic
Like I said, I test drove a manual 350Z and then two automatic Gs. The 350Z was just SO MUCH more fun, it would be hard for me to justify buying an automatic G. I see what you're saying about them being much harder to find, but having the 6MT is honestly just as important to me as price and mileage.

Still, I'm not someone to say definitely no to something I haven't even seen. If I come across one that's otherwise a great deal, I might be willing to compromise on this.

How do you like the manual shift mode on your auto? How often do you even use it?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I really appreciate everyone's responses--you've given me some helpful information.

I've got a few other questions, though. Have any of the Gs ever come with non-leather upholstery? It doesn't seem like they have, but everyone still talks about how great the one they're selling is because it's got leather. Do all the cars have bluetooth, too? Do all the newer-than-2005 ones have the keyless ignition? Or were those options for those years?

Finally, I'm still curious about what the life expectancy for these things is. I've seen some for sale for maybe $10k to $12k with upwards of 120k miles. If everything else is in good shape, what would you guys say about buying one of those?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 AM
That would be your best deal...Just get it