Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Need advice buying 04 G Osiris tuned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need advice buying 04 G Osiris tuned

I'm almost closing the deal on a G, its tuned on Osiris. I'd like to know if I should get the file of the tune since I read you can't pull it off from the ecu? So when I change things up, my tuner won't need to start from scratch?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I would get it. Do you have the cipher cable already?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Premier Member

Received 422 Likes on 340 Posts
If he was tuned at a shop chances are he doesn't have it unless he specifically requested it. Most shops don't volunteer them unless you make a point to ask for it

Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
I would get it. Do you have the cipher cable already?
No I don't, but I just realized my friend has the whole Osiris Tuner, am I able to use his?

Originally Posted by seymore4
If he was tuned at a shop chances are he doesn't have it unless he specifically requested it. Most shops don't volunteer them unless you make a point to ask for it
Yes he probably doesn't have it, but I can request for him to get it. This is all new to me as I've been a Honda head. I just learned that you use an obd cable to access the ecu, unlike Honda where you modify the stock ecu to have a USB plug if using a piggyback system like Hondata.
What is needed for him to get it from his tuner?
I saw you were selling a cable, is it still available and necessary for me?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Premier Member

You can use your friends tuner cable to tune your car, but you will still need to get the rom file from the tuner (or seller if he has it). Otherwise you'll have to start from scratch if you want to make any adjustments to the tune.

You will not, however, be able to remove the osiris license later on if you don't have your own cipher cable, which I happen to have for sale in the classifieds for $170 shipped If you got your own cipher cable you would be able to remove the osiris license and return the ecu to stock to sell it used or use on a different vehicle later on, as well as datalog, check and clear codes, and reflash the ecu yourself.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:07 PM
I've been doing an awful a lot of research, but I guess not enough or I'm not understanding this correctly. Isn't the Cipher cable only to transfer data to and from just like any other cable?

So if I have the seller get the tune file, can't that just be emailed to me?

What's the deal with the license that I'm not understanding if I decide to sell the car later?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Premier Member

There are two parts to Osiris, the cable ($200), and the tune license ($300).

The cable is a special proprietary Uprev OBD2-USB cable that lets you reflash the ecu, transport the osiris license, check and clear codes, datalog, etc. IF you have the more expensive tuner version you can also access the rom files and tune cars.

Think of the tune license like a software program that you have to purchase, you're buying a license to use it on X number of machines. Same deal with Uprev, you have to purchase one Osiris license for each ECU that is tuned. HOWEVER, that license is transferable and never expires. It is transported on the Cipher cables so if you have the cable you can remove the license from the ecu and reuse it on a different vehicle, or sell it used. Most shops won't tell you this since they want to make more money by selling more licenses, and I'm sure that's what happened to the guy who sold you the car. If you didn't want to have the car tuned you could go buy a blank cipher cable, reflash the ecu to stock, and sell the cable + license (its osiris standard when it has a license on it) in the marketplace for $400 or so tomorrow.

The seller can email you the file, but without an uprev cable you won't be able to do anything with it yourself. If you're planning on going to a protuner shop they will have their own shop cable so it won't matter.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Ok, so if I get the file emailed to me, I can open it on my comp and see the tune my car has?
If I had the cable, can I pull my car's tune and save it on my comp?

If I don't want to do any of the above, and I change parts, and go in for a dyno tune, will they have to start from scratch, or be able to pull my tune and just adjust from there?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dynasty21
Ok, so if I get the file emailed to me, I can open it on my comp and see the tune my car has?
No, you have to have osiris tuner version to open it

If I had the cable, can I pull my car's tune and save it on my comp?
No. You have to get it emailed to you. You can remove the tune LICENSE, but not the tune data.

If I don't want to do any of the above, and I change parts, and go in for a dyno tune, will they have to start from scratch, or be able to pull my tune and just adjust from there?
They will have to start from scratch unless you give them a copy of the tune that's currently on the ecu.

Also, if you have the cable and tune file you can datalog with the uprev software and have a tuner adjust the tune and then reflash it yourself without having to pay $250+ for dyno time

Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Thank you, just getting the hang of this. And its way more complicated than Honda ecu with Hondata.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Premier Member

Feel free to PM me any specific questions you've got.

Its actually really simple. The same one cable and one license work with any 03 and newer nissan/ infiniti, the only difference is the ecu specific rom file (tune file).