Canada Serving Canada.

New 06' G35 coupe owner with a few questions... (US imported car)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 06' G35 coupe owner with a few questions... (US imported car)

Hey all,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2006 G35 coupe that i imported from the US, was living there for a year and thought buying this car would make for a nice ride home to Canada!

I was wondering if anyone can help with a few questions i have:

1) How can i change the temperature from F to C ? on the climate control area.

2) How can i change the odometer and trip log to read in KM's rather than Miles without having to change the entire dash?

3) The dealer i bought it from told me that "regular" gas is fine to fill up with, but everywhere in the car it says to fill with "premium", so far i've been filling with midgrade (only had the car for a week), what do you suggest?

Also, if anyone out there is looking into importing from the US and has any questions i'd be more than willing to answer and help out since i just went through the process.

Thanks.

AK

Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Not sure about the speedo, odometer, and temp conversion, but definitely use Premium your engine will pay for it later on if you don't.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I've also just purchased a US '06 coupe two weeks ago and am very interested in knowing if it's possible to change from F to C.
Use premium gas for sure though..

Also, pardon my ignorance but prior to purchasing the car I went to an Infiniti dealer and a salesman told me I would have issues with the warranty here in Canada if I purchased a US car.. Does anyone know the validity of this?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
^ with Nissan there are issues/restrictions.
With Infiniti it should be no problem.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
You can change the temp (I think there is a DYI on it if you search) the odometer I dont think you can change I bought a KM dominant clustre and just swapped them out.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
importing us to can

Originally Posted by AKG35
Hey all,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2006 G35 coupe that i imported from the US, was living there for a year and thought buying this car would make for a nice ride home to Canada!

I was wondering if anyone can help with a few questions i have:

1) How can i change the temperature from F to C ? on the climate control area.

2) How can i change the odometer and trip log to read in KM's rather than Miles without having to change the entire dash?

3) The dealer i bought it from told me that "regular" gas is fine to fill up with, but everywhere in the car it says to fill with "premium", so far i've been filling with midgrade (only had the car for a week), what do you suggest?

Also, if anyone out there is looking into importing from the US and has any questions i'd be more than willing to answer and help out since i just went through the process.

Thanks.

AK
I am interested in importing the exact same year and model (06c 5AT).I live in MTL and am very interested in the process. Iwas wondering if you bought through a dealer or not. I do not know if you want to reveal the price you paid in us and actual price once all paid in can?.. Here i have compared prices from infinti dealers : approx 33-34,000 to US infiniti dealers : 25-28,000. Buying from personals would be cheaper. I would love to have as much info as possible!! How much can we actually save. Is your coupe a MT or AT. THANKS

Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Funny enough I just sold my 2005 Linc LS V8 and in the manual it states to fill with Premium except... get this in Canada! For canadian cunsumers the manual explains that we need only use regular gas as the fuel in canada is of a higher quality then in other markets that the vehicle is sold in (I'm guessing the refining process, not sure though) so it has less minerals in the fuel. I spoke to the dealer and he explained that they would still recommend using premuim as the HP figures that they quote from factory with the vehicle are attained with premuim fuel so to get the same performance it would be recommended but otherwise there would be no ill effects otherwise. I'm pretty sure that with a little searching we could find the exact write up but this is not the first time I've been told from credible sources that you don't always HAVE TO use premium fuel................... Either way I still do just thought someone might find this interesting. I did!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by randyc
I am interested in importing the exact same year and model (06c 5AT).I live in MTL and am very interested in the process. Iwas wondering if you bought through a dealer or not. I do not know if you want to reveal the price you paid in us and actual price once all paid in can?.. Here i have compared prices from infinti dealers : approx 33-34,000 to US infiniti dealers : 25-28,000. Buying from personals would be cheaper. I would love to have as much info as possible!! How much can we actually save. Is your coupe a MT or AT. THANKS
The price range that you have identified for the US is fairly accurate. Because you will be effectively buying the car from them in cash, usually you can shave off another $1,500 or so off the price. If you are going to buy a manual, buy a certified car from a dealer, since they will recondition the clutch as a part of certification. Automatics are generally safe from any dealer. Buying from a personal ad is a pain, since you will need to go to the DMV to get temporary plates yourself.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by shilohap
Not sure about the speedo, odometer, and temp conversion, but definitely use Premium your engine will pay for it later on if you don't.
+1 Premium fuel is the way to go. I tried regular in my Maxima once and the engine knocked pretty bad. Wouldn't dare try regular in my G.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just imported an '06 a few weeks ago as well. Not sure about how you go about changing the odometer from miles to KM.

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...onversion.html

That's the DIY for changing it from F to C. I believe there is a post on the 2nd page about doing it for 06's.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 PM
importing us to can

Originally Posted by g35koupe
The price range that you have identified for the US is fairly accurate. Because you will be effectively buying the car from them in cash, usually you can shave off another $1,500 or so off the price. If you are going to buy a manual, buy a certified car from a dealer, since they will recondition the clutch as a part of certification. Automatics are generally safe from any dealer. Buying from a personal ad is a pain, since you will need to go to the DMV to get temporary plates yourself.
What province are you in and how much did you actually save.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by randyc
What province are you in and how much did you actually save.
I'm in Ontario and I probably saved about $6,000-$7,000 by getting my car in the US.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:25 PM
importing us to can

After everything paid for (TXs+fees)?

Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes. However, you should do all your homework before you begin. The Canadian dollar has dropped a fair amount since I bought my car, so the deals probably aren't as good, although still favorable.