Canada Serving Canada.

Garage Makeover...Ideas Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garage Makeover...Ideas Anyone?

So after 15+ years of living in this house, the garage has gotten to a point where it needs to be fixed up. Biggest thing that has to be fixed is the floor. We've painted it a couple times and it just hasn't held up. The walls have cracks that need to be fixed and nothing is really set-up for organization. This time, we're doing it right. The plan is for it to look completely different when its done. Here's what is planned so far:

-Epoxy flooring...probably black with white flakes or vice versa
-Walls will probably be painted a light grey/silver, thoughts? Haven't really decided yet but it isn't critical at this point
-Cable run to garage for the spare TV we have collecting dust
-Compressor airlines run through the walls and mounted on the ceiling with a "roll-up" wheel
-Fix all wall damage
-New garage doors (ordered)
-Seal any openings to outside...the amount of spiders and webs in there is insane
-Build a workbench? I'm undecided on this right now, I may end up buying a new one
-Replace all incandescent bulbs with florescent tube lighting
-Set-up some speakers so I can listen to music when I'm out there?

That's all I can think of right now. Any ideas? I still need to think of some cool display thing to put out there, just not sure what yet.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You forgot garage cabinets. I did the Gladiator Garage ones from Lowes (EDIT, just noticed this is canada, not sure if they sell these there). I have 6 total. Two tall ones and 4 short upper cabinets. Cabinets are hung from the gear tracks they sell and I have several other gear tracks with gear loft shelfs above where garage rolls up for holiday junk and tracks all over the walls for hanging any other misc junk up (rakes, chairs, ladder, bikes, etc).

I have epoxy flooring and love it. I also did my stub walls. Mine is a tan color with three or four colors for flakes. I would do grey if you want a black based floor with three or four complementing colors for the flakes. Don't skimp on this, you will just end up paying to have it fixed if you go cheap. Make sure the clean and etch the floor with I think Acid cleaner, etc.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I actually just thought about that. We have some Coleman cabinets that have held up pretty well so we might get another one when they go on sale. I'll have to look into Gladiator shelves too. We have a hanging shelf setup for abunch of junk so we'll probably just fix that up. I'd like to come up with a better way to get stuff down, but for the most part its not bad. We also put our old kitchen cabinets out here. Those will be painted and I'll probably make new doors for them. I was thinking black?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 AM
I've had the floor done in my last house and also in my current one and it is the greatest stuff. Highly recommend it. I did mine with base colour grey with black and white chips and I think it looks great. Make sure whoever does it for you, that they are a company that will grind the floors first with a diamond grit grinder otherwise the epoxy won't last as long. If it is done correctly it will be a two day job.

I bought my counters and storage cabinets from Sears and I love them. The wood tops for the counters are like 2" thick and also come with steel backdrops with perforated holes for adding attachments to hang up stuff.

Don't forget about lighting as you will no doubt want lots if you are going to be doing any detailing or work on your car.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
^ hey Sam, good info...
This something I'd love to get done as well.
Do you have any idea on a ball park $/sq.ft.?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take some pics of your current garage.

What is above the garage( living quarters)? You might want to think about sealing up everything inside like around electrical outlets and other areas so CO2 can't get anywhere.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
^ hey Sam, good info...
This something I'd love to get done as well.
Do you have any idea on a ball park $/sq.ft.?
Not sure local, but I was quoted anywhere from $1300 to 2k on 2 car garage for this. Thankfully my builder did this as a gift for me when I moved in since there were very fine surface cracks on the concrete. 2 years later and still perfect shape.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Following this with interest. My garage is a hodge-podge of old kitchen cabinets, home-made shelves and various more-garage-like shelving and a Gorilla bench.

I'm planning to insulate and finish the inside, do something with the floor, and add some proper cabinets. Maybe I'll post a pic as a bad example if it ever stops snowing here.

I think this has the making of a great thread!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
My garage is a hodge-podge of old kitchen cabinets, home-made shelves and various more-garage-like shelving and a Gorilla bench.
Sounds exactly like my garage haha. I'll get some pics up soon, I'm too embarrassed to take pics with the garage being such a mess right now. I'm going to try and make a trip to the dump on Saturday so I should have pics around then. Insulating your garage is a good idea too. I might have to do that, there's not better time than now.

Also, above the garage is the attic. More or less, the garage is pretty well sealed but I'll still be going over it to make sure its perfect. It is possible to go overboard with lights? We have 3 incandescent lights and 1 4-tube florescent light in there right now. I was thinking about having 6 of the 4-tube lights with 2 being placed in each bay. Should be enough lighting? Another thing that I forgot about wanting to do mounting a couple mechanic's lights on the ceiling.

I'll also be doing the epoxy floor myself. I'll be using a 2-part system, just not sure what yet. I was going to do this last year but didn't have enough time to do it before the temperature dropped. At the time, I was looking at using Wolverine epoxy, does anyone have any experience with this? Any brands besides this anyone could recommend? I'll also be grinding and etching the floor. I still have to get familiar with the prep process again but that won't take long.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 PM
So no pictures yet, I haven't got around to cleaning up the garage. I've been thinking about what could be a good "display" item, and I'm leaning towards putting up some posters, framed or plaque. Anyone know any stores or sites that carry some cool good-sized car posters? I don't want to spend a lot on them. I was looking at getting some Road & Track posters until I found out they're over $50 US for a 20x30 lol.

Last edited by cc_brandon; 05-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
go to the movie-poster store or sumtin they have some sick car posters, i got some of a widebody nsx, some ferraris and yea. only 10-15 dollars a piece

Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
I'll try and grab you some nitto banners and **** from work.

I know I've got some sexy calendars and a bunch of stuff from the stag shop there lol

Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A gas Tube heater is always a good idea! keeps things nice and warm during the winter.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by 4DGS
I'll try and grab you some nitto banners and **** from work.

I know I've got some sexy calendars and a bunch of stuff from the stag shop there lol
I'm down

I've decided on a few more things now. I'll definitely be making my own workbench, no perforated backboard though. I might just put up a couple posters, I found one that I really liked. Also 99% sure that I'll be insulating the walls. I know that I'll be happy that I did it come the winter. I'll try and get some layout sketches done and post them up. In the meantime, here's pics of how the garage sits right now. Yes, my garage is dirty and so is the G, don't remind me

Old 05-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Can I haz ur garage for live in?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage Makeover...Ideas Anyone?