Canada Serving Canada.

Oakville Dealership - Think I Got Hosed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010 | 11:46 AM
|
Oakville Dealership - Think I Got Hosed

Well... took my vehicle in for the 48,000KM service with Synthetic oil change which they quoted me $590 + taxes. That in and of itself sounds far too harsh for my liking but given that I have a few warranty issues for them to resolve, I thought it was best to suck it up and do it.

I got a call just now and they agreed to repair the front brakes/rotors under the TSB. The back brakes, however, require replacement and they will machine the rotors. I'm on the hook for this but they slightly discounted it given that I was already doing the brake service/cleaning as part of the 48,000km service.

Then he proceeds to tell me they recommend replacing the air cabin filter ($103.95) and fluid replacement for the AWD ($239.95). A few other small items and all of a sudden my bill is $1,300! Holy CRAP! The only reason I'm doing it at the dealership now is I'm also hoping they will resolve the chipping of the door handles and steering wheel trim. They've taken pictures and are sending it to Infiniti Canada to confirm they will cover it under warranty before doing the replacement. I'm hoping I've earned some good will and that they will be more lenient with warranty issues, albeit, I only have a few more months of warranty remaining.

I know I saw a list of 2 or 3 mechanics in GTA but does anyone have a very good cost reliable mechanic I can take my car to for future servicing once my warranty runs out? Even oil changes are too expensive at the dealership.

Thanks

PJStyles

Old 11-30-2010 | 11:50 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
$1300
I agree, you got hosed!

Old 11-30-2010 | 11:56 AM
|
Know of any good mechanics in the area? Need to start building a relationship with a reliable mechanic for servicing on my vehicles.

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
$1300
I agree, you got hosed!

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:02 PM
If you are even slightly inclined and have a place to do it, DIYs on our cars are generally not too difficult -- oil changes, cabin air filter, even diff/tranny servicing isn't overly hard and will cost you 1/3 to 1/2 of dealer cost, not to mention the satisfaction of having done it yourself and knowing it was done right.

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:14 PM
|
I'm actually all for doing some of the work myself except for things like oil changes. When I had my Audi I did everything from change lights, filters etc. This time around, I just didn't have the time for it and wanted to get it done quick.

I know of a good mechanic in Mississauga but it's a bit of a drive from the west-side of Oakville not to mention trying to find transportation back for when the work is being done.

If I could find a good mechanic in Oakville or Burlington, I'd be extremely happy.

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by PJStyles
Know of any good mechanics in the area? Need to start building a relationship with a reliable mechanic for servicing on my vehicles.
not near Oakville.
The only one I can personal recommend is Simone in Newmarket, but that's a bit of a hike for you.

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:04 PM
i had a similar experience, but you're lucky at least you have warranty. i didnt have and had to pay that much 1300 for just compression rod repair.that was the first and only time i went to a dealership.

Then thanks to the fall cruise i went, people told me to go ahead with simone performance. he has lower prices (im not saying cheap,its around 60-70 bucks an hour) and experience with our cars. i even go there just for an oil change (i live in d-town), he is honest and knowledgeable, if he cant diagnose something, he wont even charge you. it's hard to find people like him these days. Heck i dont care driving 40-50km each way , besides it gives me an excuse to drive my car on 404

i dunno how much these guys on the forum helped me save money.

cabin filter seemed too expensive i remember i recently did it around 40-50bucks, fluid was around 110.

its as if would cost you less even ordering from US

how many more years do u have warranty?

Old 11-30-2010 | 03:53 PM
What kind of warranty work are you waiting for?

Old 11-30-2010 | 03:59 PM
|
The door trims being replaced under warranty, they did the front brakes/rotors today under TSB. Those were the main warranty issues I was looking to have done and they did one of them today with the other pending.

This will be my last service at the dealership. Now looking for a reputable mechanic familiar with Infiniti's. Also need someone to re-route or re-connect my day-time running lights as it was done improperly when I imported it from the U.S. They hooked it up to the navigation for some reason instead of the fog lights - which helps explain why my navigation lighting doesn't alter with the sun/dark.

Marco

Old 11-30-2010 | 08:12 PM
You definitely got hosed, sorry to hear. Deal with a good independent mechanic, and save your receipts. Anytime I ever tried to bring my car to the dealership, they would somehow find away to rack up a bill of at least $500, so I stopped going years ago.

Old 11-30-2010 | 11:19 PM
I have to go to the dealer on thursday for warranty work on trim, I will mention some of the TSB's issues and see if they will honour them. I too have a US import and they just seem to hate us. They service guy said the owner will not give out loaner car
to US imports car owners and wont provide road side assist. , I don't care cause I have CAA. All this is not coming from head office but from the owners own merit and dislike towards Importers cause they lose money when people buy outside Canada, is what I was told , Screw
Them! I will see what happens Thurs, they are atleast replacing my steering wheel , they would not change my door trim though. Pretty stupid , he said that's from wear and tear , whatever !

These dealers out there from what I've been reading overall are just a-holes !
I just got my 07G35x about a month ago and want to try to
Get warranty done before April 2011 when it expires!
I bought the car in Scarborough from a used car
Lot , my car came from New York state and was off a lease in excellent condition loaded , with only 23000 miles (37000 Km) Approx , the used dealer gave me all records , car proof. Ect. Also record that car had all recalls done !
Would any of the TSB be included in the recall service?
Thanks to this forum for giving me alot of info,insight and advice........

Mark,

Old 12-01-2010 | 12:31 AM
Hi Marco, Glad to hear the TSB work got done anyhow. I do the oil changes myself on this car. Really very simple to do. I actually remember once being able to jack up the car open the access door for the oil filter\ plug, pull the plug\ drain the oil and unscrew the filter during the first intermission of a hockey game and put the new oil in with new filter during the second intermission (didn't miss a minute of the game). When people say they go to the dealer because they don't have time I don't get it; I can do an oil change faster than I can drive to the dealer and back. I use Quaker State Full Synthetic and Purolator Gold filters. For the cabin filter I picked one up in the US for $12 and installed it in about 35 minutes with the help of a DIY pictorial on this forum. I haven't changed the transmission fluid or differential yet (probably next year) I may go over to Simone Performance to do that as everyone raves about him. I also ended up putting new PADS on the back of the car myself (didn't machine the rotors - but it seems fine); that was actually quite easy as well.

Old 12-01-2010 | 07:48 AM
|
I'm definitely going to start doing more and more of the things myself. It's great to have message boards like these and I learned a pretty valuable lesson yesterday. Time to start learning how to do things on my own and for the more complicated stuff, find a great trustworthy mechanic.

Thanks again for the info on the Brakes TSB. At the very least, that was covered, but when you factor in the other areas they hosed me on, it all probably balanced out.

Originally Posted by Mississaugag35x
Hi Marco, Glad to hear the TSB work got done anyhow. I do the oil changes myself on this car. Really very simple to do. I actually remember once being able to jack up the car open the access door for the oil filter\ plug, pull the plug\ drain the oil and unscrew the filter during the first intermission of a hockey game and put the new oil in with new filter during the second intermission (didn't miss a minute of the game). When people say they go to the dealer because they don't have time I don't get it; I can do an oil change faster than I can drive to the dealer and back. I use Quaker State Full Synthetic and Purolator Gold filters. For the cabin filter I picked one up in the US for $12 and installed it in about 35 minutes with the help of a DIY pictorial on this forum. I haven't changed the transmission fluid or differential yet (probably next year) I may go over to Simone Performance to do that as everyone raves about him. I also ended up putting new PADS on the back of the car myself (didn't machine the rotors - but it seems fine); that was actually quite easy as well.

Old 12-01-2010 | 07:52 AM
Hi PJStyles, I am near the Burlington / Oakville area as well and would like know of any good & reliable mechanics in the area.
As a recommendation I take my G35 to SG Motorsports in Brampton (Dixie & Steeles area). The owner is Sasha, he is a great guy and very nice, and an alternative to driving up to Simone performance in Newmarket. SG is a member of this forum and specializes in VQ35 engines, G35s, 350Zs, and he has a competition 350z that he races in Ontario. He is not the cheapest guy around, but he's better than a dealership, and you get what you pay for. SG has very good knowledge of these cars.
I went to SG this summer for oil change, diff fluid change, tranny fluid change, and they were very reasonable. My car is stored for winter now, but I'll be taking it back to SG come spring for more maintenance and hopefully performance enhancements as well!!
It's worth checking SG motorsports out as well as Simone Performance. They are both very good to us G35driver ppl

Old 12-01-2010 | 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by kingrukus
You definitely got hosed, sorry to hear. Deal with a good independent mechanic, and save your receipts. Anytime I ever tried to bring my car to the dealership, they would somehow find away to rack up a bill of at least $500, so I stopped going years ago.

+1. there is a reason why we call them "stealerships" all they do is steal your money with the BS service plans and ridiculous high prices for parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oakville Dealership - Think I Got Hosed