Canada Serving Canada.

Canadian Winter Wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Winter Wheels/tires

Anticipating Ontario winter, what low-cost steel rims will fit a G35 Coupe M6 (with Brembos)? To keep close to the 18" rim with low profile tires, is it best to get 17" rims with something like a Blizzak? Any suggestions and where to find them will be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Re: Canadian Winter Wheels/tires

i just ordered some from tireworks in mississauga.

i went with 16" because there are alot more snowtire choices in that size. Ronal 38 whells and perelli p210snows 215/60x16 $1,800 total.

BTW, don't think the 16's will work with the brembos,,,but if you go to tireworks he will test fit some to make sure. blizzaks are great but they melt real fast.

for snow you want narrower and more sidewall.
i did much research on the tire diameters. was worried about the 1" larger rear diameter on the stock 18's. 26"f 27"r
the size i chose is 26.2"

for winter i feel this is the right choice. i was looking at 225/50x17f and 225/55x17r or 235/50x17r but for snow narrower is better. also with same size you can rotate as needed.

also looked at tireandwheelzone in mississauga and they too were very helpful.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:44 PM

keep the stocks on .. who cares? they wont get wrecked, layer on a few coats of zaino and then get some blizzaks and you'll look cool all year round.

laterrrrrrrrrrr

thats what I'm gonna do, I'll PM you something.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:42 PM

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you are in the same area here as me. I'm working in the dixie/eglington area... and you've hit the shops that I was going to. On my last car, I had an issue with the tires that I had to involve the manufacturer for. Tireworks was really helpful. If you don't mind me asking, what did the other shops quote you? Was tireworks the best deal, or just the best overall?

Old 09-10-2003, 01:44 PM

Can, i work at winston churchill and dundas and live in brampton.

a place at highway 10 and williams parkway was also very helpful. tiresmart i think was the name. all the prices were about the same but each place suggests different brands of wheel,,,most suggest the perelli 210 though.
alpin pilots are about the same. blizzak ws50's are alot less but Q rated and they wear very quickly.

tiresmart was the best to talk to, they did not push anything and will work with your likes and dislikes.

they started with advanti rims that were the same colour as the stock 18's. they were a 45 offset but the test fit was good. he said that some people don't like the ire to sit in that much bit it is actually better for winter as it keeps more crap off the side of the car.
he then suggested trying the ronals that ate 7.5" wide with a 35 offset,,much closer to stock....well i know ronal wheels very well but since they are from germany i thought they would be very expensive...i know they are but he said same price....SOLD..
they look better too IMHO

Old 09-10-2003, 01:52 PM

let's have a G35 lunch meet if you want to compare notes

Old 09-10-2003, 10:33 PM

DaveG, i'm moving to that area soon, u probably gonna see the other SS coupe on Winston Churchill after few more weeks!!!

Anywayz, i'm looking for a winter tire too, something that is affordable (which is around 1600 or under), but doesn't look too bad, i preferred 17' inches, any suggestion?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by neohh on 09/10/03 07:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-11-2003, 12:56 AM

You should also check out a place in Milton called Cheap Thrills -905-878-6853. They are probably one of the largest wheel and tire places around. Many of the hot cars get their wheels and tires from them. They also deal directly with Tire Rack in the US so that they can essentially get any wheels and tire combos for you. I bought some tires from them for my previous BMW. They are excellent to deal with.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:51 AM

do you have any idea how long I have been looking for that place man and number man??

gessus

thanks

and ohhh yeah .. Dave how much and you got a model and or any pics of them rims and tires???

later dudes

Old 09-11-2003, 10:04 AM

yeh, performance improvements told me to go to cheap thrills but i couldn't find it.

have a look on ronalusa.com to see the wheels. i got the R38's and the LV's were a second choice. i see they have online pricing now. they did not last week.

go to tirerack, or 1010tires, or tiretrends, (the last two are canadian) and price out some combos.

i too preferred 17" but for better snow performace and more choices 16" really is the way to go. IMHO i got much better wheels in 16" for the same price as cheap 17"ers.

shop a few places online then in person,,your decision may differ from mine but i went with 16x7.5 ronal38 and 215/60x16 perelli p210 snows. $1800 delivered and installed hope tireworks is not upset at me for revealing that.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:07 AM

So where is tirework located?

Old 09-16-2003, 11:05 AM

I just got word that a Montreal Infiniti dealership has succeeded in fitting the perfect rim over the Brembo's.
It is the FRD 30 17x8 with a 24offset. PM me for more info.

http://www.bigwheelz.com/

Old 09-16-2003, 06:37 PM

DudeS -dudette's!

Ok lets shed some light on this.
Brembos work marvelous with a 21 offset on a 17" rim tire combo. Tires can be staggard OR for a more uniform wear theycan be same size on all 4 rims.

I have a special buy on HEAT TREATED CSA Gladiator alloy's, with a rim size of 17x8 with a 21 offset this fits perfect on MT Brembo equipped G35 coupes -no caliper clearance issues.
I also carry a Quantum Tek 17x7.5 alloy rim with a 21 offset as well. These are a nice rim for those who don't like to see their nuts! These carry a centre cap, for coverage.

Both these packages utilizes stock nuts and wheel locks, so no need to carry special tools.

Several tire options are available, but pending majority vote dictates the group tire packages.
Yokohama AVS Winters 225 55 17 all around or you can put a 235 50 17 on the rear.

Pirelli P210 Snowsports, which I used myself and found them to be quite nice, quite, nice firm sidewall for those moments you want to push the car.
Here is a small review, Tirerack found them to be the better handling of the three in this review:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ort&perfType=W

I would suggest going with an "H" rated tire for maximum performance, those living in the snowbelt I would suggest going to a more soft ICE compound snow tire, these are usally associateed with a S-T or Q rating, in my opinion I find these tires to be very mushy - which yeilds a non inspiring drive. BUT these carry more advantage in deeper snow. It really is a matter of preference.
The NON BREMBO equipped cars can be equipped with 16's, 17's steel or alloy. Once again handling and performance can be a issue with a smaller rim- faster, cheaper but at a comprimise....., the soft mushyness is once again more present, but it is less so with a "H" rated tire, the benefits with 16"s is the fact u have more rubber to cushion a curb impact, god forbid this would happen.

For those interested I am setting up a group buy, through Infiniti Of Yorkville, so those interested in saving a few dollars, please EMAIL me at jliu@dfcauto.com. I would judge interest in this "Group BUY" and then will post a few selections of packages, for options. Any more questions please let me know, I'll be more than happy to help.

Jerry

104315-CSA 2003.jpg

Old 09-16-2003, 11:11 PM

I am interested. Would prefer these to be mounted and balanced and shipped ready to install. I am in Calgary (Cochrane), so a mid-soft tire would be fine with me, no real preferance on rubber other than not too soft...

Red '04 G35C 6MT

Old 09-17-2003, 09:15 AM

if you can do the mounting and balancing for and all in for under a grand which I doubt (im so pessimistic) then I will do it, if not, then I gotta go with the blizzaks on the 18s from BigH due to bread limitations man.

harry you there .. you get my mail on the GFC's?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Canadian Winter Wheels/tires