Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Is Black a mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:25 PM
MIC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cnaman
your car is way too clean. how the F do u get it that clean? my G gets dirty the next day. for reals.
My car is actually due for a wax job. I'll probly get it done next week. But here are some tips.

1.) During the winter months keep salt away. You can do this, by immediately washing your car after a snow storm. Don't let salt sit on your paint job.

2.) Wax your car every 3-4 months. Even if you get it professionally done.

3.) When it rains the following day is when you need to wash it. A lot of people don't know it, but rain can contain small amounts of acid. Which I'm sure you know isn't good for your paint.

4.) Keep your wheel wells clean! It can make the difference between a clean, black car and a dirty, black car. If you notice in my pic the wheel wells are spotless.

5.) Wash your car in sections so that you prevent water spots.

Follow these steps and your car can look just like mine.

Attached Thumbnails Is Black a mistake?-hpim0340a.jpg  

Last edited by MIC; 01-24-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:32 PM
IC Paul
Everyone is right the black g's are tough to keep clean.. It shows the dust as soon as you leave the car wash.. But I would not trade me for the world.. I enjoy cleaning it.. It's kind of relaxing... If you get the G make sure you have good cleaning products and the california duster.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Black is NEVER a mistake if you have the time to clean it often.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by iamdjpaul
Everyone is right the black g's are tough to keep clean.. It shows the dust as soon as you leave the car wash.. But I would not trade me for the world.. I enjoy cleaning it.. It's kind of relaxing... If you get the G make sure you have good cleaning products and the california duster.
+1 the california duster is a must for anyone with a black car

Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
i think black is one of the sickest colors for the G. just keep it nice and waxed!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are you willing to invest about 8 hours every other week to keep it looking like new.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:46 PM
lazy a$$
Originally Posted by GoofyG
I'm very sure I'm going to get a 08 coupe. I love the looks of black, but have never owned a black car and have heard about it's showing dirt and swirls, etc. I also live in Arizona and worry about the heat. but it looks so cool!!

Is Black a mistake.
Simple answer. Yes, it's a mistake.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bull3t
+1 the california duster is a must for anyone with a black car

2+

I have it, and although I dont use it much, it helps a ton during the dusty days.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Black no more

I have had black for 1 1/2 years now.
I read everyone said it takes alot of care, but I thought I could do it.
I washed it every 2-3 weeks and dusted it everyday.

The California Duster says "No scratches" but it does, I know by the direction of the hairline micromarring, or fine scratches that show up in sunlight.

I bought the OXO Good Grip duster which many have said it is better than the Cal Duster. It also scratches. No matter how fine the duster is, it's the dust that is picked up then dragged again over your paint/clear coat that makes MORE scratches.

I even bought a orbital buffer to get out the swirls and light scratches from washing and drying. I bought all the best towels and tools. STILL, scratches
and micromarring show up.
You will constantly be chasing your tail to maintain a show car finish.
I will NEVER do black again.
If you want dark, consider the Graphite.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hottest color when clean.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by MIC
If you keep your car as clean as I do. Then you'll learn how to appreciate black. I've been told a million times my car is cleaner than a brand new 2007. (Note: My coupe is a 2005) You be the judge. Here's a pic that was shot 2 days ago:

HPIM0340a.JPG
And you park the G outside? Man, you must spend your entire free time keeping it clean. Looks awesome though...showroom spotless... +1

-----
It seems as I'm not as enthusiastic as others here on this forum. During the summer months I'd wash my previous car (black VW Golf) every week, sometimes every other week. During the winter, it was another story. I'd wash it only every so often because it was too friggin' cold. I tried, but then the water would freeze on one side while I was drying the other side. Ah, I also got both doors shut frozen. Not fun.

I'd get black nonetheless still. No other color will give you that warm, fuzzy feeling inside and that huge grin on your face when you stare at your recently waxed, black car.

Last edited by icab; 01-24-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 PM
You have to take into account how long you'll keep the car too. I found latest picture of my previous car. Not a bad shine for a 7 year old:

Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by jackygor
Once you go black, you cant go back o_o
ha ha you got a point there, but i think once you go black in arizona i don't think you would want to go back to your car! its hot as hell there.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used to have 03 blk/blk 6mt for almost 3 yr and now i have 06at l/p. I miss my black one very much because it was 6mt but getting older now I dont have that much time anymore.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a black '04. I had no idea what I was in for. Since I bought it, I have learned all about detailing my own car. I have become an avid viewer of Autopia.net posts. I bought a Porter Cable polisher, I own 5 different types of polish (at least), 5 different waxes, 3 sealants, QEW, car wash, 40 microfiber towels of different types and sizes, four different types of wash mitt, etc.... I used to be normal and wash my car every couple of weeks and wax it every few months. Now, I wash every week at least, quick detail it every few days, and wax twice a month. My neighbors comment on my obsession (not that I care). I have actually detailed neighbors cars for cash, so now they don't say much. That having been said, I probably wouldn't get black again. If I can make the black shine, I cannot imagine what I could do with DG or blue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Black a mistake?